VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe the price differences on digital camcorders between local store and online. I am looking to buy a Canon Optura 20. They want $850 (including sales tax) at my local Best Buy. I can get the same camcorder online at Buydig.com for like $550 delivered. That is a difference of 300 bucks!!!!! Although I have to wait a week to get it if I order online. But for $300 I think I can wait.

I never seen a product with such a large price difference between local and online. It is damn near half the price to buy it online! I think I'd pretty upset if I bought a camcorder from BB then saw it online for $300 less.
    I can see $100 or so. But $300!! BB should at least give a jar of vasoline with your Camcorder purchase.

Anyways, I know Best Buy does not price match online stores, but any you guys ever known Best Buy or any place to come off there prices at all to try to get your business away from online?

Sorry about the rant. It just really shocked me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If they don't have Vaseline, they should give you Dinner and a Movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Better yet, they better have an engagement ring.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wanted to by a new toshiba 27" color tv a few years ago at best buy. Had already priced it at sam's club and went to best buy to check their price. They were $35 more. I told the saleskid that I didn't want it, I could get it at sam's club for $35 less. He asked me to wait, I wasn't busy that day so I said okay. He came back a few minutes later and said that I could get the tv for the same price as sam's club.........if I also bought the 3 year extended warranty package for whatever it cost then. I said no, he asked me to hold on, came back a few minutes later and said I could get the tv for same as sam's.......if I bought 2 year ext. warranty. I said no thanks and went to sam's club. I almost felt like I was dealing for a car not a $350 tv. I only go to bb if they have something I want on sale or if I can't find what I need anywhere else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i dont know if this is the case - in this situation , but when purchasing things like digital camera's and photo equipment on-line , some on line retailers dont ship all the accessories - and charge extra for them .. this is a big scam from some places ...

also - some places will take your money and even claim to have in stock -- then nothing and you wait for weeks ..

again -- this is NOT all on line places .. the reseller rating link above is a good resource
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I said no thanks and went to sam's club
    I'm surprised they offered to match Sam's Club price at all. Normally they won't. Of course Sam's Club also charges $35 (or more) before you can buy anything there- so it shouldn't be surprising that Best Buy can't match their prices- you're not paying a memberhship fee at Best Buy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by BobK
    I said no thanks and went to sam's club
    I'm surprised they offered to match Sam's Club price at all. Normally they won't. Of course Sam's Club also charges $35 (or more) before you can buy anything there- so it shouldn't be surprising that Best Buy can't match their prices- you're not paying a memberhship fee at Best Buy.
    My point is that best buy would only "match" the price of the tv if I would pay extra money and purchase an extended warranty from them. If you want to hear some horror stories about warranty work, check out www.bestbuysux.org . I already had a sam's club membership so their fee didn't come into play. They are not always the lowest price, but if you comparison shop, you can get some good deals at sam's that can more than make up for the $35 membership fee.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already had a sam's club membership so their fee didn't come into play.
    But it does come into play. You already paid Sam's $35- you didn't pay Best Buy anything.

They are not always the lowest price, but if you comparison shop, you can get some good deals at sam's that can more than make up for the $35 membership fee.
    I know- and you can also get some good deals at Best Buy if you watch the sales.

The point is that you paid Sam's $35- along with a few million other people and you still don't get the best price there on everything.

Next time you see something on sale at Best Buy- go see if Sam's Club will match their sale price.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ordered that camcorder online from buydig.com. Buydig already shipped it out! It left Newark NJ at 5AM EST this morning. I should get it on the 10th.

You guys will probably see me on the newbie board posting on how to get video off the camera and on to DVD. Hopefully it is a rather simple proccess. I promise I will try to search for my answers first.

I thought about going to BB and see if they would knock any money off. But I did not want the hassle. Besides they wouldn't be able to come even close.

--
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nice camera -- as long as you have firewire ... you are all set ..

that is a GREAT price -- even used they are going for that ..

most online are selling them for 700-799$ and non less than 695$

wonder how they can sell it for 550$ ? i looked up wholesale and it is $565 best price (price varies depending on quality and warrenty and special dealer deals) ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some time's what they do is sell product that should not be in the USA that should have been sold in Japan. This is called gray market. IT's fine if the seller tell's you that this a gray market product. But they are breaking the law if they do not tell you that this is gray market..

What new to us in the USA is old in Japan. It's just over stock of Jap product's they did not sell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next

yep -- i think your right
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    Some time's what they do is sell product that should not be in the USA that should have been sold in Japan. This is called gray market. IT's fine if the seller tell's you that this a gray market product. But they are breaking the law if they do not tell you that this is gray market..

What new to us in the USA is old in Japan. It's just over stock of Jap product's they did not sell.
    One thing you must realise about Gray Imports is that the warrenty will not be valid in the USA. So make sure that your retailer gives you a seperate warrenty, or you'll be fucked if it breaks down.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have bought several items from buydig.com without any problem. All of them came with US warranty. Sometimes they have the best price online but not all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by energy80s
    Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    Some time's what they do is sell product that should not be in the USA that should have been sold in Japan. This is called gray market. IT's fine if the seller tell's you that this a gray market product. But they are breaking the law if they do not tell you that this is gray market..

One thing you must realise about Gray Imports is that the warrenty will not be valid in the USA. So make sure that your retailer gives you a seperate warrenty, or you'll be fucked if it breaks down.
    Yep, I checked on that before I ordered. It says in their FAQ that unless otherwise stated, every product that Buydig.com sells is brand new, factory fresh and comes complete with a full USA warranty. And from what I have read Buydig is a very reputable seller.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Concerning this, I had a question.

How trusting are online stores with the addresses of:
    store.yahoo.com/storex?

Anyone ever have any bad experiences with them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. A few quick points.
    I never bought from buydig yet myself, but a friend has and is happy, told me about them. Far as the price difference, Wall mart was $500 for a Canon Zr60 and Buydig was about $300, almost $200 less!

Sams club is cheaper than bestbuy on most normall priced Items if they have it. I bought my Canon I850 printer at Sams for $148, bestbuy was $198! That was when they first came out and hit the market.

Sams was $15 less for a UPS I bought also.

Sams does not have much of a selection! If they have it then they might have the best price, but not always! Also if they have it this week they may not have it next week when you go back! That has happened on alot of items to me. They seem to get alot of great one time type deals, when they are gone you never see they item again!

Check out the food section! I buy alot of 5lb bricks of various types cheeses. About half price or less at sams than to buy locally here near home. Like $8.88 for 5lb chedder blocks, as good as Kraft.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by g_shocker182
    Concerning this, I had a question.

How trusting are online stores with the addresses of:
    store.yahoo.com/storex?

Anyone ever have any bad experiences with them?
    yahoo stores don't mean its good or bad ... just where they run thier store (its a good plan far as i can tell)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a camcorder(JVC) online line for $579. Circiut City was selling it for $899. No problems with delivery or the camera. I've had it a year +
    You can save big online, but be carefull. Check out the vendor at rellerratings.com or some such sight before you buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Hay, but watch out for those outlets that sell you cams and tell you that
    you have to purchase an option piece, (even when the cam comes equipt
    w/ one) Case in point.. When I bought my TRV-22, the salesman try to
    force me w/ a 64mb stick, as he insisted that the cam did not come w/ one.
    I read the specs and many reviews on this cam before I purchased
    it, and found that in all the readings I did on it, they all stated that it came
    w/ a 8mb stick. I really didn't need the stick (IMO) but I opt for it anyways
    becuase I thought "you never know.." and paid the extra $49 for a 64mb
    stick. Pretty cookoo of me, but oh well.. to this day, it's still in it's shrink
    wrap. I just don't like taking chances.
    But, my point was, that you have to watch out for these guys, and you also
    have to research and come in prepared before you get tackled.
    ..though that didn't do any good for me (another cookoo) In my case, I did
    not let the salesman swindle me, rather I thought I might actually have a
    need for a greater size stick that what was already coming inside w/ my
    DV cam (of which I knew already)

From the Video Workstation of,
    -vhelp 2068
    Quote Quote