VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

Here is what I am trying to do. I have an 640x480 XViD file I want to convert to MPEG2 to burn onto DVD. Conversion goes smoothly, no problems there.

However, when watching it on my DVD player, the lower part of the picture is too low, and the subtitles (it's fansubbed anime) are cut off, and you can only read the upper half of the subtitle, which of course, is kinda a pain in the butt, lol.

Note that this is in 4:3 mode. If I convert to 16:9, I can read the subs, but have lots of black space with. that's no problem on letterboxed shows, but on non-letter boxed stuff it looks funky.

I tried to find what I nned to help me in the guides, but I guess I am too damn scattered brained to find it. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks!

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thats Overscan causing this problem, all TV's do this. If the subs are hard encoded into the divx you need to resize when you encode to place black bars top and bottom of the picture. About 15-20 pixels should be enough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the info!

Could you point to a site or guide that can hold my hand through the process? I have accress to both TMPeg and Main Concept if those programs will help me do as you have to told me.

Thanks again!

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  4. In TmpGenc, under advanced settings, video arrange method, use the 'Centre (custom size)' option.

Not sure about MainConcepts capabilities in this respect, you may have to use virtualdub to resize and then frameserve.

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Will give the TMpeg method a shot, and let you know how it works.

Thanks!

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, played around with TMPeg some, and got it sorted out.

Your advice helped greatly in getting me pointed in the right direction, thank you.

Eric
    Quote Quote