VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to use Virtualdub to convert a DV .avi file to a Divx file. I open the DV file in Virtualdub and set the beginning and ending frames. I set the video to Fast Recompress and the compression to Divx 5. I set up all my Divx settings, then do Save as .avi. It gives me the following error:

VirtualDub Error:
    Cannot start video compression:

The source image format is not acceptable.
    (error code -2)

I am using the raw .avi file I captured from my Digital 8 camcorder. Can virtualdub not work with this file?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't dealt with DV, but I heard VDub can't deal with type 1 or type 2 DV directly. You may have to run it through a DirectShow filter through AVISynth to make it work. That's what I heard and I don't know if it's true or not....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    virtual dub can handle dv files fine -- just install the main concept dv or panasonic dv codec first ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the panasonic DV codec installed and it still gives me the error. I can open the DV file fine, it is just when I try to convert it to Divx that it has a problem.

Any other thoughts? How do you use avisynth to turn a DV avi file into divx? I couldn't find a guide on it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if the DV file is a type 2 DV, the AviSource command should open it, since it is AVI. Have you tried to reload your DivX codec, yet?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you may have to restream the dv file in that case (not unussual) ..

just open it up , set compression to the panasonic dv codec you have (i know this works with the MC one and i assume it will also with the pana one)

then fast recompress to a new file ..

it should work for you then ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a Type 1 DV, convert it to Type 2. That always helped me getting it to work.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    you may have to restream the dv file in that case (not unussual) ..

just open it up , set compression to the panasonic dv codec you have (i know this works with the MC one and i assume it will also with the pana one)

then fast recompress to a new file ..

it should work for you then ...

Nope, that didn't work either. Same error message. I'm running out of ideas!
    Quote Quote