VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I need to edit basically taking wav files tht dont sound good and clean
    them up.... and some cuting and pasting..... but i need to no which one is the best for tht one.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SOUNDFORGE and DARTPRO
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Audacity is good and it's free.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Remember Cool Edit Pro?? Well Adobe bought that software and it is now
    Adobe Audition . I loved Cool Edit pro, and Adobe kept the interface the same. Very powerful.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've tried just about every powerful wave editing program and settled on Steinberg Wavelab.

Check out Steinberg Clean for cleaning up the wav files. Soundforge is also recommended but it can irritate me sometimes!
    Quote Quote  
  6. so whats about sound forge that irratates you???? is it a harder interface to use????

also where would i find Steinberg Wavelab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SoundForge is a professional program and has a learning curve, much like Photoshop and Premiere. It costs money too, but I was willing to spend money because I've not been disappointed yet. All solid products. And I just spent time playing with the program to learn. Not all that hard really. Read the HELP files, search google for tips and read help books in the store (never buy them). I know all I need to know, which is dozens of tricks and I have perfect control over my audio now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mol3000
    also where would i find Steinberg Wavelab
    right here
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    soundforge with the noise reduction plug in is unbeatable for cleaning up audio ...

the sonic noise reduction and cleaner is prob about the best - beating apps that cost 10x as much ..
    used in many studios ..

wavelab is a very good program also ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by twinches
    Remember Cool Edit Pro??
    Cool Edit is used by some major radio stations (at least in my area).
    Quote Quote  
  11. well i just seen a new pcmag (i mean a few mins ago) and it has this software called live 2.1 (www.ableton.com) which it gives its editors choice.... i dont always trust this especially knowing if u put cash in the right person hands then anythings good so has anyone tried this software???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    its crap (IMO)
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mol3000
    so whats about sound forge that irratates you???? is it a harder interface to use????
    The two most common tasks which I do are awkward in Soundforge:

Not being able to navigate to each marker point easily.
    The cursor returns to the beginning instead of restarting where I've told it to stop!

Minor, but it slows things down. Go for Steinberg Wavelab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    big downside to wavelab is the price EUR 548.99
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well i just seen a new pcmag (i mean a few mins ago) and it has this software called live 2.1 (www.ableton.com) which it gives its editors choice.... i dont always trust this especially knowing if u put cash in the right person hands then anythings good so has anyone tried this software???
    yes, and for what it is intended to do (create music from loops on the fly, seamlessly) it's great - if you don't need to do this live, you can construct music much the same way with Acid, but for live use, it's fantastic - no hiccups or stutters when you add a new loop.

don't know what that has to do with this thread though, as it's not an audio editor or cleaner per se...

BJ_M - what didn't you like about it?
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the "editing" portion ... as a looper for cheap - its fine ... editing was the topic in discussion - so in that context , my comment..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question about this too.

See I used Audacity to cut out some of a wav track and save it. But now, the wav file cannot be recognised by Real One player. I mean, that probably doesn't matter if media player plays it, but Real player said that I need a plugin - but its a WAV umm??? So does Audacity save it as a different kind of wav file or what? Anything should play a wav. Why is this happening?
    I used to laugh at those who liked to gawk at Lara Croft, until one day, when I realised I'm in love with Solid Snake! >.<
    Quote Quote  
  18. well i dl wave lab and was tryin to test on some wav files..... one of the things i need to do is edit out certain words in a song..... i have looked thru the help tht came with it but it dont tell me how..... can anyone help me with this?????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in Wavelab -

highlight the portion of the audio you want to remove.

go to Process -> Change Gain

change the display in the pop-up box from Decibels to Percentage.

enter "0.0%" into the box and press Apply.

you should see a flat line in the wave file for the section of audio you highlighted.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  20. Goldwave is free n easy to use, also Nero includes a sound editor which is very similar
    Quote Quote  
  21. I don't think GoldWave is strictly-speaking freeware, but I can never remember what the limitation is on the trial before you've registered it.

That aside, GoldWave is an excellent editor - between that and Audacity you can achieve most things you'd want to do without forking out a fortune on SoundForge or any of the other 'pro' tools being discussed.

cheers,
    mcdruid.

P.S. Dying Informant - that's a bit of an attempted hijack in this thread - I'd start a new topic if you want help with your continuing problems with audacity!
    Quote Quote  
  22. well price isnt really a option..... so whatever the best for audio just let me know 8) also housepig i dont think that lets me edit out certain words in songs (basically editing out curse words for a radio station) the just cuts out a piece of the song..... also instead of cutting it all out i would like to overlay it with something else
    Quote Quote  
  23. If price is not a problem, I would go with SoundForge - I'm pretty sure you'd be able to do what you want with that.

It won't really be possible to remove just words and leave the rest of the track untouched - as it's all mixed down.

Having said that, it is sometimes possible to remove vocals because of the way they're usually in the centre of a stereo mix - so you can use software to compare the left and right channel, and remove whatever is dead centre.

I'm not an expert on this though - try doing some searches on google etc... People use this to make Karaoke backing tracks - so that might help for search terms.

cheers,
    mcdruid.
    Quote Quote  
  24. i did do a couple of searches and they just send u to different audio software..... i just need to blank out curse words in songs and other little things right now
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i did do a couple of searches and they just send u to different audio software..... i just need to blank out curse words in songs and other little things right now
    I was under the impression you wanted to "clean up" the quality of the sound. Hiss, pop, etc.

For removing "curse words" ...

... BTW, this is the 21st ******* century, words are just words, and art like cartoon vocals (Tom and Jerry anyone?) and music shouldn't be altered as far as I'm concerned ...

...you'll need to spend some time (and I mean a LOT of time) to remove just words and leave music. And even then, won't be flawless. Other option is to just have dropouts like a scratched CD. Or better yet, listen to something else.

If you want to learn that trick, go to the local radio station that plays censored music. But I assure you it's not easy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what lordsmurf quotes ... and same for films ... i hate when they are edited for content -- specially nudity but then violence is OK ...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have and love SoundForge. Can't say enough good about it.

However, GoldWave is about $50.00 and does most of what SoundForge does.
    I have it too on another machine. Great little recorder and lotsa nifty editing tools.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I agree that censorship is bad, but I once produced a show on student radio, and we could lose our broadcast license if we put any swearing out - so I can see the need for selective 'bleeping' at times.

However, to really be able to do this properly, you're just going to have to learn how to use one of the audio editors we've all been talking about. Nobody is going to be able to hold your hand and walk you through the whole process step-by-step.

GoldWave has a function specifically designed to 'remove vocals':

This is what it says about it in the help file:

Remove vocals
    Removes vocals from music. In some stereo recordings, it is possible to remove vocals by subtracting the left and right channels. In order for this to work, vocals must be located in the exact center of the stereo image. Unfortunately, any instruments located in the center will be removed as well. Another side effect is that the stereo image is lost and the final sound will be monaural.
    By using this function you may be able to edit the small portions of the song with the offending words in them, and leave some semblance of the rest of the track - in mono.

You'd then need to splice these edited bits back in to the orginal.

So, you'd need to find out how to use the vocal removal, how to spread a mono segment back into stereo, and how to splice these segments back into the main track without disrupting the 'flow' of the track.

Once you've learnt how to do all that - you should be able to work out more fancy things like substituting the swear words with sound effects etc.. or whatever it is you want to do.

This is assuming the remove vocals function works for each track you want to edit - which it might not.

Some people here have objected before about professionals coming to hobbyists for step-by-step instructions on how do to something they need to do for their job. I would suggest that if you're getting paid to do this, you need to spend some time learning how to use a decent audio editor, and work out your own way of achieving your goals.

No offence intended; all I'm saying is please don't reply to this saying "my boss wants this done yesterday - can you be more specific?"

cheers,
    mcdruid.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Actually - I've just tried out the remove vocal function on GoldWave, and it seems to have worked fine for the track I tried it on.

Even better (for you) - it doesn't produce a true mono file - it produces a stereo file with two identical channels. So, that makes the job even simpler.

If you just want a quick-and-dirty way to do it, try loading your track into GoldWave, and just selecting the bit you want to edit out, then use the Remove Vocal function on just that section (no need for splicing etc..)

Good luck,
    mcdruid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theDruid
    I agree that censorship is bad, but I once produced a show on student radio, and we could lose our broadcast license if we put any swearing out - so I can see the need for selective 'bleeping' at times..
    But even major stations in major markets only play a few of these, if ever, and only one or two blips per song at most.

You'd never see a song like "So What?" by Metallica (actually a cover) being played on the radio.

Most times, they rely on the artists to produce radio-clean versions themselves or face no radio air time.

And that's fair. If they want their music heard... the ball's in their court to play by the rules of radio.
    Quote Quote