VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have a few .dat files that are not playing on my computer. i'm using power dvd and wmp 9 and it only plays about 75 % of the file and it stops ... there is still space on the tracker so i know there's more to it. also i'm sure the file is complete because when i burn it to a cd-rw to test it ... the whole movie is there ?? what is wrong ?? does anyone know ? thanks for your time ..
    Quote Quote  
  2. anyone know why this is happening ? i'm very confused and frustrated ... don't know what to do .. can anyone help ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Corrupt file or corrupt source media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. A DAT file is a regular MPEG file with extra header info. Some media players don't like DAT files because they get confused by the header info.l Try converting the DAT file into an MPEG file with VCDTools, then reburning the disc. This has always worked for me.
    I've found similar problems to the ones you describe when trying to play back some DAT files in some programs. Converting 'em to MPEG files and playing those always solved the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for the help .. it works most of the time and even after changing it to mpeg it gets really blocky .. i guess i really do havea corrupt file then ...
    Quote Quote