VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a TDK 420 DVD +R/+RW. I bought it because I thought it was more compatible than the -R for creating DVD's to watch on regular set top/home DVD players. Adobe Premiere 6.5 only mentions DVD -R when creating an MPEG then making a DVD in Sonic DVDit LE. This has me a little concerned. This is suppose to be a very good burner. Will The DVD +R work fine on most regular DVD players after I create a project in Premiere and then burn it to DVD? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. just a thought? why not ask this question b4 u bought a burner.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. best bet is to use a DVD+RW,that way your not going to create a coaster.
    as for those programmes,they were probably programmed like that before +R was becoming the dominant force.
    +R is more compatible,in my players,plays more,and plays dependably.
    -R is cheaper,IMO,not as good quality,and,well,thats about it,IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not sure but hthere may be a bitsetting hack for your drive.
    if the hardware is identical to the Nec1100

http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/index.html
    http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/bitset.html

Contact etna before doing anything
    etna0815@gmx.de
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am sorry for disappointing you, but so far my experience with various stand alone DVD players showed that DVD-R is the most compatible format. For example, xBox will not read DVD+R at all while working perfect with DVD-R disks. Some Panasonic and Samsung stand alone DVD players have difficulties reading DVD+R disks, and no problems reading DVD-R. The quality of DVD-R disks is as good (if not better) as DVD+R, not to mention the price difference of the media. To avoid incompatibility issues most people purchase dual format DVD burners that are in a price range from $100 (cheapest ones) to $250 (top quality burners).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I also have found that -r appears to be more compatible but +r is not far behind it. Burn to rw's first to check.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  7. According to the player list at least some xbox will play plus media, so too at least some playstations.

According to this chart in toms hardware review of burners plus media failed much more often than dash media.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/storage/20031027/dvd_burner-40.html

Also if I've done my homework correctly, plus media with bitsetting to book type DVD-ROM (and good quality media) would be the most compatible DVDr. This assumes your burner is capable of bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its all down to what your player can play mate, dont blame the drive for something your player can or cant play. Some players will happily play anything you throw at them (like mine which is some cheapo), some players have problems with + AND - media, - is 'slightly' more compatible but + is catching up slowly and any future player you buy shouldnt have a problem with either format.

As for the Xbox Ps2 + media not working, well all i have to say to that is pfft for me i have no probs with + media in either, some people obviously do, but a lot dont, maybe the people who do dont burn stuff correctly or use the wrong media/software... who knows
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    +R media is great for PS2 backups... works fine here... -R is best for DVD-Video in terms of most compatible, but only by about 5% to 10% at most. And bitsetting can narrow that gap to probably under 5%..
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the question of which standard (+ or -) is more compatible is kind of useless. In every study I read, they both play in 80-90% of the set top DVD players tested. Unfortunately, if you buy a + burner and your player can only read -, it's 100% of your burns that will not be compatible...
    The point is this:

- If you have a DVD player, first find out what it can play by trying it out. Nowadays you should be able to find friends who can burn one standrad or another. Then buy the burner accordingly.
    - If you have a burner but no player, buy a compatible player to your burner.
    - If in doubt, buy a dual format burner. One of the cheapest around is also one of the best - the LG 4040B (see the link to Tom's Hardware above).
    Quote Quote  
  11. But lets say you're going to buy a $40 external enclosure and loan it out to friends, then what burner would you buy? I quess it comes down to dual vs + will bitsetting I quess. But a + with bitsetting defaulting to DVD-ROM would seems the most "ultra compatible".
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's all in the bitsetting! When I make disks, they all reflect DVD-ROM as their format, meaning anything that can play a DVD-ROM will play a DVD+R disk. End of story. There is nothing more compatible than DVD-ROM. No arguement in the world can contradict that.

'Nuff Said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Srembecki
    It's all in the bitsetting! When I make disks, they all reflect DVD-ROM as their format, meaning anything that can play a DVD-ROM will play a DVD+R disk. End of story. There is nothing more compatible than DVD-ROM. No arguement in the world can contradict that.

'Nuff Said.
    That's still not perfect 100%
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote