VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All.

This being my first post I might as well let you know that today I purchased a new TDK IndiDVD Internal 8X DVD +/- R/RW drive. The model # is 840G and is not listed on any TDK website yet. In fact, I'm not sure it was even announced.

I purchased it at a local Best Buy, who also doesn't have it listed at their Website, for $250 US (which was cheaper than the Plextor at the store at $280 US. I suspect online prices will be cheaper.)

The drive comes with a Roxio suite of software, a 4X DVD+R and 4X DVD-R TDK branded disc, and lots of paper docs.

The specs of the drive (8x DVD+R, 4X DVD+/-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 12X DVD-ROM, 40X CDR, 24X CDRW, 40X CD Read) mirror the Plextor 708A because, well, it IS the 708A (with a black bezel and TDK logos.) Though the drive shows up as a TDK in Nero, etc... I am 100% positive it is a Plextor 708A because the drive looks identical and also functions identically.

The drive ships with Firmware 1.02, which I assume is the same as the Plextor 1.02 firmware but rebranded to read "TDK". It shows as manufactured in October, 2003 in China.

The drive ships with a list of recommended media for all speeds, including 8x +R, and it too is identical to Plextor's 708A list.

I tested with a number of different discs. I used Ritek G03s DVD-R discs (which burned at 2X), TDK 4X DVD+R discs (Ricohjpnr01 I believe), which burn consistently at 8X, Apple 4X DVD-R which burned at 4X, and Fuji DVD+RW (which burned at 2.4x).

I tested with Nero, and DVDXcopy Express... latest versions, and had no problems.

I tried to install the 1.03 firmware from Plextor for kicks and got the error "no drive found".

Oh well. I see the 1.02 firmware is pretty good and stable and offers a lot of media compatability (I tend not to use esoteric brands) and it is performing well so I'm happy.

-P
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    From Controller
    Quote Quote  
  2. FYI - a follow up. This drive is now listed on TDK's website.

I am positive it is a Plextor 708A drive, and performs well.

Incidentally, It lists for $279 on TDK's website, but my local Best BUy is selling it for $250.

This may be a way for people to get the Plextor 708A a good amt. cheaper at retail with a black bezel, two recordable discs, and a bit more software.

-P
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    From Controller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Neat, thanks!
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote