VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,
    I am new to this site, what DV format does a camcorder record its information in?
    I looked at the Canon site for my camera but it wasn't specific as what type it records.
    My information is in the signature.
    Trying to match up software to accept the output.
    Thanks
    Phil
    Canon Optura 20 for Video
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Software? Looking for the Holy Grail
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DV format. However you can store it on your computer in Type 1 or Type 2. Type 2 is the most commonly used. Depends what program you are going to use it with. Check the glossary here for more informationhttps://www.videohelp.com/glossary#DV
    Quote Quote  
  3. DV1 interleaves the video and audio streams.Pros:very good audio synch,Cons:less compatible with encoders.
    DV2 separates the video and audio streams.Pros:very high compatibility,Cons:audio may not synch.
    http://thetechnozone.com/videobuyersguide/Codecs/Type1-Type2-DV.html
    TMPGEnc accepts type 1 or 2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the next question would be:
    The camera doesn't determine format, the software does?
    Also I am having a problem with TMPGEnc, and was trying to find fault with the DV format. Looks like I need to look somewhere else for that one.
    Thanks
    Phil
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly. What problem are you getting with TMPGEnc, and list any error messages?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Exactly. What problem are you getting with TMPGEnc, and list any error messages?
    The program will only do 1 conversion and then close. It is unchecked in the options to shutdown after conversion.
    Opening it back up and looking at the log it says file conversion failed but the file is converted and usable.
    I want to convert mulitple clips and can setup a batch but it only does the first one and shuts down.
    I don't get any error messages during the process.
    Thanks
    Phil
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What was the name of the source file, and what was the name of the output file?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I renamed the source file and moved it before I set it up.
    Working right now so I can't be specific but I had some clips from St Augustine and named them fort1 fort2 fort3 .avi etc.
    I don't remember if I setup the capture with a specific name or let whatever software I was trying at the time to do it.
    After the conversion the file type changed to .mpg with the orginal prefix.
    Do you think that might be the problem?
    P.

What was the name of the source file, and what was the name of the output file?
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope not. If you let the software name the file, you run the risk of naming the output file the same as the input file, which your program cannot do because the file name is in use, causing an error, and making your process shut down.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what you are saying is to set the input file to xxx.avi and the output to yyy.mpg to prevent this?

I hope not. If you let the software name the file, you run the risk of naming the output file the same as the input file, which your program cannot do because the file name is in use, causing an error, and making your process shut down.
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I will give it a shot tomorrow after I wake up and let you know the outcome
    Thanks
    Phil
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO Joy today, no matter what I tried it still closes after processing. Maybe I have a bad install with this program.
    Might just finish this project using it like it is and then wash it out and try again.
    Phil
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to convert the avi to Type 2, use the DV Canopus encoder tool, there are 2 in the tools section, but I found out that the second one (from DV1 to DV2) causes my avi file to lost it's sound.

I haven't tried the canopus, but I think it's better, but you have to go one by one; the other let you to select multiple files at a time.

It's weird because it use to work fine before. Now it closes every time it finishes or when you have batch encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm facing the same batch-encoding problem. I've yet to try converting to DV Type 2.

But then I've been using DV Type 1 all the while but only encounter this problem recently. And the weird thing is this. I had 2 computers with WinXP, and I'm using Tmpgenc 2.59 on both PCs. I tested the same set of avi files (type I) on both computers. Batch encoding work ok on 1 set but not in the other computer.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It used to work fine for me until recently. Do you have all the updated installed? I'm thinking some XP updates caused the problem
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,
    Had a few minutes this morning and managed to try converting a AVI 1 to 2 using DV Canopus encoder. It worked fine and didn't take very long. Then I sucessfully converted it to MPEG 2 using Tmpgenc and it did not close at the end like it had been. Didn't have time to try a batch yet, but it looks like I am over one of the hurdles.
    I think I will investigate using a DV capture program so I can transfer it for AVI 2 and go from there.
    Phil
    Dell for Processing
    TDK for Burning
    Quote Quote