VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I have a Sony DRU500A burner updated to the latest firmware. For a while now I have had problems with DVD+RW and DVD-RW media. I have used the Sony +RW media that came with the drive, Memorex +RW, Imation +RW and Pioneer -RW. Sometimes the drive recognizes the media and sometimes it won't. All of the above media have given me read problems from time to time. When the drive does manage to recognize the media, it writes to them with no problems. All DVD-R and DVD+R will read/write with no problems.

My setup: P4 2.2 GHZ, WinXP Home with SP1, Nero 5.5, Ulead DVD Workshop, MediaStudio Pro 6.5.

Drive has DMA enabled.

Any Ideas??

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try 2x DVD RW media. Most early 1x DVD RW media have compatibility problems.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  3. Brainiac,
    I've been having a similar problem. I have all but given up on Sony's tech support, as they always try to point back to not using their recommended media. The problem is, I have tried their recommended media with the same bad results. I have also used Memorex DVD-RW, but unlike you, I never had a problem with them before this issue.

Just for comparison's sake here is my problem:

1. Drive will recognize, read, and write all DVD-R and +R
    2. Drive will NOT recognize, all DVD-RW and +RW
    3. The only exception to #2 above is that it will recognize, read, and write to a BRAND NEW DVD-RW or one that has been fully erased in another burner.

Does this sound like your problem? Also, have you tried Nero 6? The reason I ask is that my problem seems to have started after I uninstalled the trial version of Nero 6, which was just ver. 5 with a bunch of fluff.

I'm anxious to hear if you find out anything, and hopefully we can help each other solve this issue. Please keep me posted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Roll Tide

I am running Nero 5.5.10.54. My problems are exactly like yours.

This is aggravating - i like to use DVD+-RW to record tv shows.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How long have you had the burners for? I've had mine for about 9 months and have used the Sony media that came with it at least once a week - no problems.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    rhegedus

I've had this drive for less than a year.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem when using Record Now max. Kept saying to place a blank media in. With Copy2DVD I have had no problems. I don't think it is the burner so much as the burning software. Maybe I'm wrong but this has worked for me.
    Quote Quote