VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Just installed the DVR-106. I have not burned any DVD media yet. Question: Should I upgrade the Firmware (1.05) now to avioid future problems? Or stay with the 1.05 FW which came with the drive.

Thanks!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The best answer would probably be what version is the latest on Pioneer's website ?

Looking here:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/support_software.jsp?category=support/software#fdvdwriter

... suggests the latest version is 1.07, so it might be worth upgrading.

The issue of unofficial, hacked firmware is another matter. I don't advocate hacked firmware and it technically voids your warranty, but only you can decide whether or not it's worth tricking the drive into doing something it shouldn't. Then revision numbers are a bit hit or miss as not all firwares are created equal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the advice and the link. Will do.

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  4. Paul,

I tend not to upgrade until I've run into a problem. So I'm still on 1.05 which has not caused any problems yet. But then again, this has always been the way I do things Also, upgrading supposedly means you cannot go back to any of the previous firmwares which is a bummer (and very odd as to why Pioneer does not allow this).

Cheers,
    feeras
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, I have downloaded the upgrade, but havn't instaled it yet. I'm going to wait for for more replies. My main concern was media compatibility. Having read about the various issues re firmware updates (that writers seem to work better and faster with updated firmware), I thought it best to check with those of you who have experience with the writer.

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  6. I upgraded to the hacked 107 firmware (just search for "the firmware page"), no problem so far. It's nice being able to burn at 2x using 1x media.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I agree, I have the hacked also, its awesome burning at 2x! I love it!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi there, I have just bought a 106 writer, and writing is fine, no probs there, the only problem is in reading the image to hard drive. The manual claims that the dvd writer should read at 12x, however, all the dvds I've tried ripping using both SmartRipper and DVD Decrypter both read at around 2.1x... is this a firmware problem?

I know it's not my system as I have a P4 2.4ghz w/ 512 ddr ram.

Thanks is advance for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No, nothing is wrong with your writer. The A06 only rips DVD video at 2X, unless you use the hacked firmware. I didn't use it so I also avg. around 2.1X when ripping video discs, but much higher on non video DVDs. My buddy used the hacked firmware so he does get much higher rips, but I didn't wanna go that route.
    Quote Quote  
  10. still using original 1.05. I don't upgrade unless it fixes critical bugs. The hacked firmware allows you to burn 1x media at 2x I believe. So far I fed it Fuji 2.4x +R, 2x +RW, TDK (Ritek) 4x -R, DVDPro (Princo) 1x -RW with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A 5% decrease in burning time is hardly worth taking a chance with 'hacked' firmware!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by videobruce
    A 5% decrease in burning time is hardly worth taking a chance with 'hacked' firmware!
    what??? wassat you say.
    look the firmware doesnt increase or decrease any burning speeds,it just unlocks the ablility to burn 1speed media at 2speed,and UNLOCKS the prebuilt in ability to rip at up to a max of 12speed.
    it also resets the region so its region free,which is always a bonus.
    as for updates in the firmware,i believe the updates from 1.05 to 1.07 are compatibility increases,and taking into account of new media etc.im sure also read it resolves some RW flaws as well.
    but the firmware at www.rpc1.org,isnt modified in any way,its still 1.07 firmware,just unlocked.
    ive never experienced any problems with it,and im not really sure of anyone who has reflashed correctly(disabling antivirus etc)has.
    Quote Quote  
  13. is there a hacked firmware that will increase the RW write speed?
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have tried to install the 1.07 hacked from www.rpc1.org, after 2 black screens that say "press any key to continue" I press any key the screen dissapears and nothing happens, any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  15. you just should be able to run the file it tells you in the read me to run.
    i think its upgrade.somethingotother,and the screen tells you that you will have,say,1 drive detected.
    flash all drives,and press key to continue.
    and thats it,are you sure its not flashed already,or youve ignored one of the screens.
    oh,that and your running xp right?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes I have XP and I had the 1.07 from Pioneer already, when I upgrade from pioneer everything went fine and it says 1.07. I don't know if it will upgrade the hack, if it will not, I don't think it can be done, cause I understand That I can't go back to 1.06 or 1.05
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi. Saw this and thought I'd tack something on the end.

I bought a Pioneer DVD-A06, upgraded to 1.07 before doing anything and then had problems. The drive wouldn't recognise or write to CD-R ot CD-RW. It saw DVD-RW as audio 1.99GB and wouldn't format or write to it.

Luckily I managed to return the unit as faulty and got a replacement.

Unfortunately the new unit (1.05) STILL can't write to CD-R or CD-RW. It recognises them OK now though and can use DVD-RW fine too. I get "Invalid Block Address" right at the start after the caching.
    Any ideas?

Not going to 1.07 until I get this sorted!!

Using Nero 6 and Win98se.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi all,

Well, I decided to upgrade to the 1.07 FW (un-hacked version). I downloaded R6FW107.EXE, ran it, and the file created a DVR106 Folder on C:. In that Folder is UPGDVD.EXE. I ran that, but got error message: “Available Target Not Found”.

Are the computer gods telling me not to upgrade, or am I doing something wrong on my end?

I’m happily running W2K, and thus far the Pioneer 106 burns fine with FW 1.05.

Thanks!

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  19. I wouldnt upgrade...I havent run into any probs with the 105 firm so just try yer luck.

I see that your from chicago, im from near there!
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote