VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a few movies and just noticed that they all have different framerates....they are 23, 25 and 29...could someone please let me know what this means. If I convert them using DVD MF2 does this mean I have to change the framerate so it is the same. I understand that there is NTSC and PAL but the frame rates I have on my files seem different and I don't know why.

Please help if you know
    Quote Quote  
  2. 23.976fps = NTSC Film
    25fps = Pal
    29.976fps = NTSC

If encoding to mpeg-2 for DVD, 23.976fps can be encoded at that framerate as long as you use 3:2 pulldown. For more details, check out some guides or search the forum.

BTW. Most DVD players will play bith PAL and NTSC material. In Europe, most TV's will handle NTSC material as well as Pal, the reverse is not true in the US tho.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks heaps for that...is there a guide that you would recommend ?

Just wondering which program would be the best where I can change using the 3:2 pull down thing you were mentioning.....Sorry it's just I don't know much about encoders and there are so many out there. I have tmpg enc.......would that do it ?

thanks for your response too
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, Tmpgenc can do it. Set Encode mode to 3:2 pulldown when playback and framerate to 23.976fps (29.976fps internally).

You can also apply the falgs after the encode, to a video only mpeg-2 stream, using pulldown.exe.
    Quote Quote