VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I was just thinking, as I see the same questions asked over and over every day "HELP PLZ" "help a Newb DVD to VCD" etc we all know the questions I'm talking about.

Could a required reading of certain guides be added to the forum sign-up? Use a little javascript or cookies to check weather a person visited certain pages that cover these topics that get asked everyday? Because its obvious people dont read the guides, and dont read sticky posts.

It just gets old seeing the same questions, with the same answers takeup the bulk of the posts everyday, the only thing that makes them somewhat interesting will be FOO's reply's
    Ejoc's CVD Page:
    DVDDecrypter -> DVD2AVI -> Vobsub -> AVISynth -> TMPGEnc -> VCDEasy

DVD:
    DVDShrink -> RecordNow DX

Capture:
    VirualDub -> AVISynth -> QuEnc -> ffmpeggui -> TMPGEnc DVD Author
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think a simpler solution would be to give a quick, "open book" multiple choice quiz, asking the ten most frequently asked questins. The link to the right answer would be included, but test taker must read to discern it. In order to post on the forum you must answer all ten questions correctly.

For example:

Q: If you are running TMPGEnc, and you get a file not supported error, what is the first thing you try to correct the problem?

a. Change the extension to .mpa, load the VFAPI plugin and deselect the proxy server, and try again.
    b. Close the TMPGEnc wizard and load the file from the main program screen.
    c. Go to Options-->Environmental Settings-->VFAPI plugins, and chage the Direct Show priority to two.
    d. Get Tgpo, he knows everything.
    Link to correct answer.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Moved to Feedback

and maybe a quick read of this forum would show that this and similiar ideas have been suggested, and rejected, several times in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was thinking about something like that too. I'm not even thinking about difficult topics, just real basic stuff.

1) What formats does a VCD disc support?
    a) Mpeg-1
    b) AVI
    c) DiVX
    d) Mpeg-2
    e) Any

2) Can you remove Borders/Logos from a movie without rencoding?
    a) True
    b) Flase

3) What format must audio be in for a VCD/SVCD/CVD?
    a) AC3
    b) Wav
    c) MP2
    e) Any

4) What are the basic steps of creating a (S)VCD from a DVD?
    a) Rip, Encode, Author, Burn
    b) Encode, Burn, Author, Rip
    c) Rip, Author, Encode, Burn
    d) Burn

just stuff like that...
    Ejoc's CVD Page:
    DVDDecrypter -> DVD2AVI -> Vobsub -> AVISynth -> TMPGEnc -> VCDEasy

DVD:
    DVDShrink -> RecordNow DX

Capture:
    VirualDub -> AVISynth -> QuEnc -> ffmpeggui -> TMPGEnc DVD Author
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You've skipped over what Bugster said. :c)

I try to do a sort of quick little one or two-liner to point them to resources.

I think a lot of new people think the forum is the site and completely overlook all that's here. A lot just need a pointer.

I also recommend they change their subject title from "Help Me!!!!" to just about anything else. Some do, and they've learned it helps. Some ignore. :c)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If think that we should post a guard at the bridge between the site and the forum. All new users must answer 3 questions before they can cross. If they get one wrong, they are automatically flung into a bottomless gorge :P
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too British.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  8. what is your favorite color?
    green - no, blue! aaaaaaghh!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think anyone who gets po'd at these questions should simply scroll on by, let someone willing to help without getting po'd do so.

I mean, they tell you to use the channel selector if you don't like what's on TV..

"Just scroll on by/ wait on the corner..." Then when someone anwers the question (we don't all get po'd ) you can jump in with both feet.

"Damn them newbies, why they bothering me.....I only wanna talk to people smart as me."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    You know whats great about that link, the text of the words "green, pink, and purple" are actually colored green pink and purple. As if the newbies dont know their colors. Kids shouldnt be allowed to use computers or author VCDs before kindergarten.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mysticgohan17
    Kids shouldnt be allowed to use computers or author VCDs before kindergarten.
    "My mommy bought me a computer with Internet, and since I can't go see the rated R movie, I downloaded it. What do I do next?"

I'm all for a simple test like "What format does VCD hold" and the likes. Maybe "Can we help you convert illegally downloaded movies?" and "Why do most DVD's fail near the end of the movie?"

About 3-5 good questions, with a link to about 2-3 paragraphs that give away all answers. I bet the volume of traffic were diminish, not beause users are chased away, but because those few questions are the ones they would have asked anyhow.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think the one day waiting period is just fine, it gives them time to look around. A test would just chase all newcomers off. And those newcomers may just be the future experts that the site could use.

Just don't answer the posts if they bother you. And frankly, I don't think it really is much of a problem. Yeah, there are alot, but you can't judge it by the number of posts, but the percentage of people who ask the question. Given there are about 60 people searching the forums at any given time, and they come and go every hour (I don't know the actual numbers but I would think this is about right). That's about 1440 people a day. If you have say 5 of those questions, that's only a third of a percent! One out of every 330 people asking is not that big a deal IMO.

To tell you the truth, the thing that bothers me is not the "How do I make a VCD?" questions, but rather non-descriptive titles like "Need Help Now!!!".
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Solar,

What bothers me even more is, quote "do you know how much bandwidth is wasted" by these foolish questions?

At least as much as the continual bitching about the topic?

At least the noobies topics just get a sniff as someone glares at it. When a bitch gets posted, everybody and his brother has to jump in with both feet, typing with both hands.

Ignore them if they annoy you.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Solarjetman
    A test would just chase all newcomers off...
    Wow, do I disagree. I remember when i was a freshman, the university I was attending did the same for the UGLi. We were assigned a scavenger hunt, with all the "treasures" to be found in in the library. I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about the library and what it had. A simple test with a statement saying why it is being given should suffice. And if a beginner is too lazy to click on a link to the correct answer, is it really a great loss if they refuse to join because of it? Who knows, they may even consider it a challenge to "make the cut".
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Originally Posted by Solarjetman
    A test would just chase all newcomers off...
    Wow, do I disagree. I remember when i was a freshman, the university I was attending did the same for the UGLi. We were assigned a scavenger hunt, with all the "treasures" to be found in in the library. I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about the library and what it had. A simple test with a statement saying why it is being given should suffice. And if a beginner is too lazy to click on a link to the correct answer, is it really a great loss if they refuse to join because of it? Who knows, they may even consider it a challenge to "make the cut".
    i like that idea.
    Quote Quote  
  16. what about something like a eula, that stays on screen for about 10 minutes and counts down, with a quick heads up about searching the forums b4 asking a question.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You mean something like the text that says do not post warez questions, do not bump immediately, do not hijack, etc. They do not work as well as they should if it is so easy to ignore them. A simple exam which one must pass to proceed is almost foolproof.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Everyone is a newbie at one time or another and the trouble
    with being a newbie is not knowing enough to ask the right
    questions in the first place.

A polite reply encouraging the person
    to read the guides with perhaps a direct link to the correct guide
    is not too much effort surely?

If the question is an often repeated one, let another, perhaps
    less experienced forum member, have the pleasure of
    sharing their knowledge - after all that what this place
    is all about - right ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I say look at the numbers on a simple search:

file unsupported -- 1108

audio sync -- 9214

how convert -- 23514

I could go on, but these are the ones that immediately to mind. No one is being a curmudgeon about any of this. It is just a simple way to get them into the habit of using the guides before posting questions that have been nswered hundreds of times.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    I say look at the numbers on a simple search:
    how convert -- 23514
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [sarcasam]
    DUH! Don't you know every problem is new. No one has ever had a problem I've had before. I'm important and therefore require customized help to overcome my each and every little issue.
    [/sarcasam]
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Best reply I've seen so far is from offline.

I've not seen your name before, but if you are a new mod, congrats Baldrick, a good pick.

Idon't think the "simple search" found 24000 dumb questions . I think it found 24000 replies, probably 75% flames, 25 % helpful..

Again, the post above says someone will help if the guys that get po'd ignore the thread.

Hell, I don't read every thread. Only the ones with a title that intrigue me, pique my interest.

And, sometimes when I do, they have a lot of interesting stuff, whether it's something I didn't know, or just segues into a good conversatiion. You never know what it will lead to.

Why do so many complain about this. It comes up on a regular basis, and not always from the same lead poster, seems more like as soon as someone becomes an "expert" he gets po'd when a "newbie" asks a similar question.

Other guys get some "larnin' ", they help a "newbie" without so much as a snarl..

Could it be "the human condition"?

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  23. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't mind helping the 'newbies' if I see a question that hasn't been answered that I can help with. Yes, it is tiring to see the same questions asked over and over again. I think Gees has a good idea, just calmly point out that they need to look around this site a little before they ask. If you don''t like their questions, ignore them. I would think we want to encourge 'newbies' to become professionals eventually.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by gmatov
    Best reply I've seen so far is from offline.

I've not seen your name before, but if you are a new mod, congrats Baldrick, a good pick.
    Offline has been a mod quite some time.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, you could lock the forums down from new threads. All the questions have been asked and answered. With the exception of newly released apps/hardware, it's been done B4 :P
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    Actually, you could lock the forums down from new threads. All the questions have been asked and answered. With the exception of newly released apps/hardware, it's been done B4 :P
    I would agree approx 99%. There is always that last 1%, and it doesn't have to be a long term forum member to find it!
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe a tiny quiz would be good.

What is the meaning of life?
    Why does tgpo use a MAC?
    Why was KingJohn banned?

any better examples? It should be some very basic video questions and not specific for some tool.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about:

1) For a 640x480 video, which is bigger, 1 hour of MPEG2 or 1 hour of DivX? (it's a trick question)

2) Do you own any Black&White educational videos from the 60's?

3) CCE or TMPGEnc ?

4) Have you purchased a DVDRW or Camcorder in the last 14 days? ('Yes' results in 30 day IP subnet ban)

5) Does the number 42 mean anything to you?
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was that quiz supposed to be humorous? Just asking.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    What is the meaning of life?
    It has something to do with fish...right??

Why does tgpo use a MAC?
    Because it's the best!!!

Why was KingJohn banned?
    Making people mad, then editting his posts to look good.

So what do I win????
    Quote Quote