VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by trevlac
    You are saying that the frame size, bitrate, gop, whatever are different when you playback from the hard drive than if you watch the live feed.
    I don't think he is saying that, because with a Directv receiver with Tivo you can't watch the live feed, you are always looking at a recording, that's how you can pause/rr/etc because you are watching the buffer that is in the drive.

If you have one TV with Directv with Tivo and other with a regular receiver, can you see any difference? If not either a) they unit is recording the stream without encoding or b) it has a chip so powerfull to encode in a different format in real time without visible loss and at 1GB/hr, if the Directv with Tivo unit image is poor, then it can be that is encoding the stream.

Anyway, the mpeg2 recorded in Directivo units is 480x480 and the mpeg2 in dishplayers is 544x480. Don't know the original resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  2. @dvdnew

Interesting.

I have a Dish DVR, and a non DVR reciever. I see no difference, but I have not made any scientific compares.

But if my DVR works like TIVO, and I am always watching the 'buffer', then the buffer is always being re-encoded on the fly. I can't imagine that.

What do you think he is saying?

I read it as "If you capture off of your TIVO harddrive, you are not getting what was broadcast to you."

Thanks for your comments.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't know if the "broadcast" is filtered or changed in any way before getting to the hard drive, and I guess someone told him that there are some differences, maybe not a full encode, but some resolution changes, I don't know.

The original poster wanted to know the resolution to adjust his capture equipment and I don't know if that is relevant because you are capturing the analog signal output from the receiver. I don't capture the analog from my receiver, but if I ever do, I'll test different setings and keep the one that give the best size/picture/resolution from my tests and not the original broadcast resolution because that is lost when converted to analog.

There are standalone Tivos, and you can select different setting, each with different resolution capture and bitrate, but the recording settings in Directivo and Dish DVRs can't be changed. Some people say that Directivo units do not have a encoder chip like the standalone tivos, but I don't know.

At end what if dish broadcast at 480x480 and directv at 544x480 or the other way around? they use different encode hardware, compression ratios, etc. so picture quality changes a lot from one channel to other.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @dvdnew

I actually started a different thread about this a few days ago. I didn't want to clutter up this one with a different issue. I posted my reply there.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190360
    Quote Quote