VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. MackemX,
    It's beyond me how people can think that making something easier and faster is not a valuable thing. The distinction between a front end and a full blown program is completely irrelevent. ALL programs build on other peoples work. Whether you charge nothing or $1000.00 is completely up to you as long as you are accurate in your description of what the program will do.

There are a lot of silly posts in this thread. Bugster's post stands out as the voice of reason.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The problem with all you IFOEdit "experts" is that while you are here whinging about this software and bemoaning the fact that if people learnt how to use it, this software would not be required... There are people asking most simple questions about IFOEdit and how to use it and NOBODY is answering them !!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps if you spent more time helping people rather than just slagging off some new tool ?

Please, I'm not trying to antagonise you or anything but I'm just pointing out the irony here.

Sadly, for a lot of us "Newbs", we just don't have the time to sit down and learn the intricacies of DVD structure and how to edit them with IfoEdit. Hence the reason why DVDstripper etc comes along to make things simpler.

As far as DVDStripper is concerned. Until I see a decent "how to" guide appear, there is no way I'd buy it on spec. Empty Promises and good "word of mouth" are one thing, but until I see a documented process, forget it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by presto
    The distinction between a front end and a full blown program is completely irrelevent...as long as you are accurate in your description of what the program will do.
    You are completely contradicting yourself. Whether or not you characterize this program as a front end or a separate program DETERMINES whether the description is accurate or not.

DVD Stripper is technically not a gui. It performs various internal routines, and only requires IFOEdit to correct the IFO's. But the point is that those internal routines COULD be done by IFOEdit. Since DVD Stripper is payware and IFOEdit is free, and since DVD Stripper requires IFOEdit to operate, there are logically only two motivations for buying this program. The first is that it provides an easier to use interface. The second is that it performs the same functions as IFOEdit but with less manual work, and thus in less time and with less knowledge and expertise. Well this is exactly what a front end does. It really does not matter whether DVD Stripper is performing the internal routines or not because as far as the consumer is concerned its still just a different interface for the same procedures. DVD Stripper is not a gui for IFOEdit, but it also does not do anything that a gui for IFOEdit couldn't do.

If you purchase DVD Stripper knowing this then you have gotten exactly what you paid for. There are undoubtedly people who want such a program, and it is great that there is now a program that fills this need. However, think of this from the point of view of someone like slnorth. He purchased DVD-X-Copy only to find out later that everything it did could be done by IFOEdit. This is fine, its just competition. But what if DVD-X-Copy required IFOEdit to function? Don't you think that would make people angry? In his case he would not have purcahsed DVD-X-Copy because it provided a better interface than IFOEdit, he would have purchased it simply because he was uninformed.

My point is that many people will buy this product, and in following the documentation realize they need to download a free program called IFOEdit. They will come to realize that IFOEdit can do everything DVD Stripper does, admittedly requiring more work and more time. Many people will feel they got exactly what they paid for because DVD Stripper simplifies the process. But the fact is that there will be some people who will feel cheated.

I do not view MenuEdit as functioning as much more than a gui either, and in this way yes it is very similar to DVD Stripper. The difference is that you can make this determination with MenuEdit without having to pay any money.

I'm not saying MackemX is doing anything wrong. Now that he is charging for his program he has gone into business. As at least co-owner in this business, of course he is going to paint his product in the best light. I do not think it would even be fair to ask him to disclose the availability of other competing software. But you have to admit, when payware requires freeware to operate, and that freeware can perfrom intrinsically the same functions as the payware, you've got a questionable business model.

The direction that DVD Stripper needs to take is obvious. Find a way to eliminate IFOEdit from the process, and then no one has any room to complain, because now you have created a bonified competitor to IFOEdit. Until you do this I'm afraid there is always going to be a certain amount of backlash in a community where payware and freeware are typically mutually exclusive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by VCDWotcha
    There are people asking most simple questions about IFOEdit and how to use it and NOBODY is answering them !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Perhaps if you spent more time helping people rather than just slagging off some new tool ?

Sadly, for a lot of us "Newbs", we just don't have the time to sit down and learn the intricacies of DVD structure and how to edit them with IfoEdit.
    So you want a free step-by-step support service, right

My friend you got two choices:
    1. Read the guides and make a forum search
    2. Buy a tool that makes it easier

BTW:I saw MackemX answering IFOEdit questions countless times.
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just don't believe this, I'm getting the same crap here as I did at Doom9 and all because of the same stupid reasons!

I'll try to explain again. For example, can anyone show me how you can strip the end credits using ONLY Ifoedit and stil maintain the original DVD structure?

there are a few things DVDStripper does than cannot be done using JUST Ifoedit

how many tools give you the options of splitting a DVD yet keep anything you want on both DVD's right down to Cell ID level? I know you can do this manually but will it take you less than 10 minutes user time even if you are an Ifoedit God?. Think about the masses who probably don't know how to use Ifoedit to it's true potential

a lot of people here still don't realise the VOB stripping is done by DVDStripper in just the same way as Menuedit, as it is a VOB editing tool but the process is a different way to Menuedit. Menuedit is another great tool that makes this rather hard and length process of DVD content authoring as simple as a few clicks for anyone regardless of their knowledge of DVD structures

Ifoedit is used by DVDStripper in exactly the same way as Menuedit needs it and that is to only correct the IFO's, not strip Video Content

so instead of making a guide to show how to do this process manually and relying on the users knowledge of Ifoedit to update the IFO's, all I have done is automated the process for them and yet you people are slating me for it?

Derrow has given me permission to use Ifoedit as a method of REBUILDING the DVD. I recognised the fact Ifoedit is needed and done the morally correct thing by asking for Derrows permission to use Ifoedit in the process of updating the IFO's. I told him of my intentions of automating the process and also that I would be charging for DVDStripper. I offered him donations and that I will also state that others should do so on my site for recognition of his great software. The same goes for DVDDecrypter as I contacted LIGHTNING UK about my intentions. How many developers of software out there that use these or other 3rd party tools have done what I did and offered?

I'm getting a bit sick of these posts now, so can people please give me a break and move onto something else to whine about?

if you still do not understand how DVDStripper works then sadly there is there is no demo yet to give you a better idea but please don't base your opinions on assumptions. For now I'm hoping that word of mouth will hopefully make people realise exactly what DVDStripper is all about. It's simply a DVD video content STRIPPER!. Does every piece of software have a demo?. Demo's are normally crippled versions of the software anyway which don't give a true reflection of the program's capabilities. Seeing as there isnt a demo we decided that if anyone did buy the product and wasn't satisfied they would get a refund and it will remain like this unless it is abused

I'd rather buy a sports car that isn't crippled knowing I can get my money back if it breaks down. I'd prefer this than taking it for a test drive with parts of the car missing and wonder if it will break down if I did buy it

I hope I'm not seen as promoting DVDStripper in any way here, I'm just trying to correct people's assumptions as they are giving the wrong impression with their opininons which I feel is not fair at all

I do hope the moderators can see the points I'm trying to make here as this is just going the same way as Doom9 posts did. If the mods think any part of this post is against forum rules can they please modify it. I also hope you don't have to lock a thread or completely delete it like the Doom9 forum just because of people's incorrect accusation's due to the fact they do not understand how a product works. If it get's out of control I'm sure you will control it anyway as you have already stepped in twice to cool things which I appreciate

I urge users of DVDStripper not to reply to anyone's posts other than to offer advice if it is needed as this will only fuel the flames. Leave it to the mods

@tompika, hi mate
    I just thought I'd mention that DereX888 has been in touch via PM and that matter is now resolved as he has admitted his judgement was a little harsh so please go easy on him. I just wish others will soon follow his example when they realise the mistakes they have made with their assumptions
    Quote Quote  
  6. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for trying to clear things up Adam , and I hope my post helps clear up everything else. At least you get the general idea although some things cannot be done using just Ifoedit

and just in case people have missed it, this is in nice big red letters on the webpage for DVDStripper

Please recognise the importance of Ifoedit and DVDDecrypter in this process. Without these tools the whole DVDStripping process would not be complete. I do hope you find the time to donate a small amount to the authors of these wonderful programs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    I'll try to explain again. For example, can anyone show me how you can strip the end credits using ONLY Ifoedit and stil maintain the original DVD structure?
    This can be done in about 2 secs in IFOedit as long as the credits are stored as a separate cell, which they usually are. Just click on Vob Extras and select all but that last cell, of course preview that cell first to make sure it contains just the credits. If the last cell contains part of your movie than the only way to cut the credits is to physically cut the footage in the middle of a cell. Does DVD Stripper do this?

If the smallest unit that DVD Stripper can work with is a cell-id, then I don't see how it can do anything that IFOEdit can't. I agree it might make things easier, but that's not the point.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gees
    The only problem I have with all this was that it was so heavily hyped for weeks leading up to its "release".

Just about any ripping question was quickly responded to with a reply about this upcoming tool - watch this space, soon your problems will be solved-type posts - with very handy signature links (which by itself explains the many hits).

In all those posts, and there were many! - I thought it was going to be a free app. Now I see it all amounted to no more than a heck of a lot of free advertising to a very targeted audience.
    Hi

I never said it was free and the site stated what my intentions were and each one of my posts were based on the fact I believed that DVStripper was the answer to the users questions

how many times have you seen me comment in the forums recently saying DVDStripper is the answer? The answer is 0 as I haven't done it for exactly the reason you posted. I didn't even post to say it had been released because I thought I may get accused of free advertising. I didn't even want to post in this thread but after seeing the response I just had to respond to it. I will leave it upto DVDStripper users as I'm not to sure how I can answer posts looking for a solution knowing that DVDStripper is a possible solution for the user. I will have to contact Baldrick on the matter

Someone from this site has seen it fit to add DVDStripper to the tools list which I take as a compliment and I thank that person for doing so as I did not expect it at all, never mind so soon

I hope you see my side

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam
    This can be done in about 2 secs in IFOedit as long as the credits are stored as a separate cell, which they usually are. Just click on Vob Extras and select all but that last cell, of course preview that cell first to make sure it contains just the credits. If the last cell contains part of your movie than the only way to cut the credits is to physically cut the footage in the middle of a cell. Does DVD Stripper do this?
    Are you sure you can remove a cell using Ifoedit? Are you talking about using VOB Extras to remove stuff via the VOB ID removal? If you are I must have completely overlooked something available in Ifoedit as I'm sure you cannot remove cells apart from using delete playback or manually editing some values elsewhere in the IFO

I know it is simple enough to remove VOB ID's using Ifoedit but the hard part is when some VOB ID's you need to remove contain cells you do not want removing as Ifoedit only offers full VOB ID removal

the other thing people may miss is the fact that you risk upsetting the DVD by manually removing VOB ID's and some transcoders and DVD Players do not like this

as for the cells that contain part movie, part credits it currently cannot be done using DVDStripper but I'm looking at having a cell splitting option implemented

cheers

p.s. I do hope that people do not think I am bad mouthing Ifoedit in anyay as that is far from it. I think Ifoedit is the best tool out there and should be No.1 in the list of tools to have if you like doing stuff manually and thats why I have always urged people to use it via my guides
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm getting a bit sick of these posts now, so can people please give me a break and move onto something else to whine about?
    Its a discussion forum. People are allowed to post their opinions as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I'm not saying your program is bad, ripoff, etc. However, if you plan to release a program, especially one that is supposed to be advertised by the word of mouth, you have to expect a certain amount of "whining". If you can't accept bad comments about the program then you should just pull it out of the market. All products get some sort of negative feedback no matter how good it is.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well, after all that yelling and screaming, does anyone know if this program actually works or is it all some ficticious ploy to con us out of our hard earned cash! So far the only "one click" program that actually allows "extras" removal successfully is Clone DVD. Nero 6 tried to impliment it but as usual failed miserably. Until I get a chance to try this program out, I won't believe that it will produce a DVD that is playable on the majority of standalone players out there. I await either a demo or a cracked version for testing purposes!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    I'm getting a bit sick of these posts now, so can people please give me a break and move onto something else to whine about?
    Its a discussion forum. People are allowed to post their opinions as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I'm not saying your program is bad, ripoff, etc. However, if you plan to release a program, especially one that is supposed to be advertised by the word of mouth, you have to expect a certain amount of "whining". If you can't accept bad comments about the program then you should just pull it out of the market. All products get some sort of negative feedback no matter how good it is.
    I accept the negative feedback from people but some of the current 'feedback' is based on their misinterpretations of the program which is not really fair is it?

like I said, in time the program will speak for itself as I'm sure people will posts their opinons after using the tool

why not visit the official forum HERE? That's were most users comments will be for now until a few more DVDRHelp members get to play with it
    Quote Quote  
  13. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by energy80s
    Well, after all that yelling and screaming, does anyone know if this program actually works or is it all some ficticious ploy to con us out of our hard earned cash! So far the only "one click" program that actually allows "extras" removal successfully is Clone DVD. Nero 6 tried to impliment it but as usual failed miserably. Until I get a chance to try this program out, I won't believe that it will produce a DVD that is playable on the majority of standalone players out there. I await either a demo or a cracked version for testing purposes!!
    I'm saddened about your comments about the fact you would use a 'cracked' version as it makes me wonder what other 'cracked' programs you have on your PC

if you read earlier in the thread I stated if it was within the rules I would gladly donate a few copies to people who were genuinely interested due to the lack of a demo. I would have gladly gave you a copy for your own pleasure if you had simply asked in the same manner that Michelle did but I think that moment has passed
    Quote Quote  
  14. presto wrote:
    The distinction between a front end and a full blown program is completely irrelevent...as long as you are accurate in your description of what the program will do.

Adam Replied
    You are completely contradicting yourself. Whether or not you characterize this program as a front end or a separate program DETERMINES whether the description is accurate or not.

There is not contradiction between those two statements. You're just disagreeing with the first one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it sure sounds contradictory to me. You say the description of the program as a gui or not is, "completely irrelevant." Then you say its ok to charge money as long as the description of the program is accurate. Since the second condition cannot be met without resolving the first, it is a contradictory to say that the first condition is "completely irrelavent." Maybe circular is a better way to put it, either way you get my point. The characterization of this program as a gui or not is not irrelevant. On the contrary it is probably the single most important question that everyone in this thread has. I know that this is the single issue that will decide whether I purchase this program or not.

Now the more I hear about this program the less it sounds like a gui. MackemX you are right, I was thinking of vob-id stripping, not cell-id stripping. I apologize. When it comes to end credits, in most situations it won't make any difference, but I agree this is a very nice feature which either can't be done in IfoEdit, or can't be done easily as far as I can tell. But I can honestly say that I read your whole site plus most of the posts in your official forum, and this issue was not clear at all. As a potential customer, I think it was a fair question to ask. Now I don't expect you to go and type on your homepage how your program can rip cells while IFOEdit cannot, or any other differences. All I'm saying is that as long as IFOEdit is a part of this package, these are the types of questions that people are going to want answered before they purchase your software, and these are questions that you are just going to have to live with.

No reasonable person should have any problem with you charging money for your product, but the problem is that it is not entirely clear exactly what we would be purchasing. I think that as long as IFOEdit is a part of this package, the lines are always going to be fuzzy. Its just my personal recommendation...the program would stand up on its own much better if it did not require IFOEdit. I think the exact same thing would apply to MenuEdit but for the fact that its free.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    adam, its nice to see you are beginning to understand more about DVDStripper and hopefully can help control the thread accordingly

only to put the record straight here (and I mean no disrespect to the author of menuedit as it is a wonderful tool) but the current free version of menuedit does not allow the removal of single cells, only the registered version

ifoedit/dvddecrypter are not part of the package as you say, but I think you may mean part of the process, is that correct?. If you did mean it that way I would like to think the statement I quoted earlier in this thread that is on the website is clear enough for people to see

It's nice to see people are now realising how DVDStripper actually works and is not the tool that some liked to think it was earlier in this thread

don't forget it's in it's infancy at the moment so it can only get better
    Quote Quote  
  17. program would stand up on its own much better if it did not require IFOEdit.
    Or DVD Decrypter. 8)

Maybe someday there will be DVDStripper that can handle all those tasks (without any freeware software)...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Adder_78
    program would stand up on its own much better if it did not require IFOEdit.
    Or DVD Decrypter. 8)

Maybe someday there will be DVDStripper that can handle all those tasks (without any freeware software)...
    Wouldn't doing the ripping internally be inviting a lawsuit?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Michelle
    Wouldn't doing the ripping internally be inviting a lawsuit?
    my point exactly

@Adder_78, Hi, I'm looking into automating the process of updating the IFO's internally. For now seeing as Derrow has no problems then I don't see any problems using Ifoedit but can people please try not to bring up the issue of free software please as the answers lie in the thread

thankyou
    Quote Quote  
  20. @Adder_78, Hi, I'm looking into automating the process of updating the IFO's internally. For now seeing as Derrow has no problems then I don't see any problems using Ifoedit but can people please try not to bring up the issue of free software please as the answers lie in the thread
    Sorry I didnt mean to be offensive. But when you add freeware tools in your program then there will always be people that may think that your program is nothing but a ripoff. I know that it's not a ripoff! But like you see here, there is lot of people that dont know the facts or are so lazy that they dont bother to seek the facts. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Wouldn't doing the ripping internally be inviting a lawsuit?
    Well it depends on which country laws you have to obey :P
    Quote Quote  
  22. Adam Wrote:
    Well it sure sounds contradictory to me.
    How? I'm pretty sure we both agree that the second statement is true (It's ok to charge whatever you want as long as you describe the program accurately).

You disagree with the first statement (Whether the program is a Front End or not is completely irrelevent).

By claiming I have contradicted myself you pretty much win the point without refuting the statements. Just say they contradict each other and I lose the argument. The problem is they don't contradict each other at all. You just disagree with one statement. Therefore you would have to provide some argument in regard to that statement. You did try to do that but I don't get it at all.

If I buy a program to create a calendar I don't care how many free programs it uses ,as long as they are easily available and as long as it offers some improvement over using them alone.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If Mackem had spent 10% of the time he spent promoting this
    thing on a simple guide or explanation he wouldn't have
    this problem. All the general public ever saw was a picture of
    a very simple form with IfoEdit written on it in a TextBox,
    which could have been created in 2 minutes with VB and 10 in VC.

My opinion stays the same.

Think of some of the other recent releases.
    DVD Lab , awesome even if it 's slightly buggy
    DVD Shrink. Awesome period.

Compared to those it's very lame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot answer your second question without answering the first, yet you say the answer to the first question is "completely irrelevant." If you don't think that's contradictory than we'll just agree to disagree on that point. Look I don't want to get into semantics. You say the gui issue is irrelevant, I say its most certainly relevant since its the main question that everyone is asking.

MackemX, honestly I don't see the distinction between saying the freeware is part of the process but not part of the package. No you aren't distributing IFOEdit or DVD Dec., but your software won't run without them either. If the software runs as desired now with the integration of freeware tools, and your current customers are satisfied, than I suppose that's really all that matters. My point is that as long as your payware is dependant on freeware, there are always going to be some naysayers, whether their opinions are justified or not.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Adam wrote:
    Look I don't want to get into semantics
    Well I do.

Statement 1: X is irrelevent

Statement 1b: X is relevent

Statement 2: You must describe the program accurately

Statements 1 and 1b contradict each other. Statement 2 doesn't contradict 1 or 1b. Neither 1 or 1b contradict 2.

Saying that x is important to an accurate description is just another way of disagreeing with 1. Writing a paragraph about disagreeing with 1 won't make it contradict 2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, here's my statements.

Statement 1: This argument is irrelevant.

Statement 2: So I have no interest in pursuing it.

Back on topic. MackemX was kind enough to offer to let me play around with DVD Stripper. When I get it, and some free time to test, I'll let you know what I think.
    Quote Quote  
  27. People will argue for page after page if you let them get away with vague language but pin them down on an issue where they are clearly wrong and suddenly it's irrelevent even if they brought it up in the first place.

This is just a personal observation and is not directed at anyone in particular
    Quote Quote  
  28. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    If Mackem had spent 10% of the time he spent promoting this
    thing on a simple guide or explanation he wouldn't have
    this problem. All the general public ever saw was a picture of
    a very simple form with IfoEdit written on it in a TextBox,
    which could have been created in 2 minutes with VB and 10 in VC.

My opinion stays the same.

Think of some of the other recent releases.
    DVD Lab , awesome even if it 's slightly buggy
    DVD Shrink. Awesome period.

Compared to those it's very lame.
    thankyou for your opinion FOO, it has been noted

let's also give other people a chance to voice their opinions too

I know fine well this will tool not appeal to some people at all and they will not like it in one bit and this I accept and I will deal with it personally if they have purchased the program, but I also feel some people will like it it

only time will tell I suppose

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by MackemX
    I'm saddened about your comments about the fact you would use a 'cracked' version as it makes me wonder what other 'cracked' programs you have on your PC

TOUCHE!!

if you read earlier in the thread I stated if it was within the rules I would gladly donate a few copies to people who were genuinely interested due to the lack of a demo. I would have gladly gave you a copy for your own pleasure if you had simply asked in the same manner that Michelle did but I think that moment has passed
    Oh dear, like anyone gives a f**k!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and again I urge people to withold their judgement until they see the program or read a review. At the minute there is no demo but there may be one in the future but if I am allowed and it is within forum rules, I have no problem donating a few copies to people for their own pleasure in the mean time
    Count me among the people willing to test/review your product. I am a bit more intrigued.

Since my first post, I've noticed that there has been MUCH more content added to your page. I had not noticed the forum link before (was it always there?) Companies often charge for add-ons to programs that they didn't write (plugins for Photoshop, Premier, etc.), so I suppose charging for a front-end isn't out of the question. The only thing is that I'll have to "wait and see" since there's no demo.

Good luck with your program. My only suggestion about feedback is to not respond to every single comment. For some of the more redundant/insulting ones you may want to create a form letter ("Dear sir, thank you for your interest in DVD Stripper. While we value your opinion, go to hell.") If you wait and let the flood subside, you may actually start seeing constructive criticism.
    Quote Quote