VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Finally gonna bite the bullet and get a DVDRW drive. As always on a tight budget, but need dual format (making family movies for multiple family members with multiple DVD players...)

I've found two dual burners for ~120 each, with black bezels so they match my Dell (a must )

One is the Optorite DD0201 ( Formally DD0203 ), which comes with some software, 8MB cache... or the NEC 1300A bulk drive (no software) with 2MB cache. I already have Nero 5.5.10.. which says it supports the NEC drive, and I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 which some have used with the NEC drive- so the no software is not a deal breaker.

I just wanted to see if there was any reason to choose one or another. From looking around on this site already it seems the Optorite may be a little more picky with the media.

Also, there's a MicroAdvantage dual drive at office max this week for $99 after some coupons and rebates- any experience with this drive?

Long post, I know, but thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Optorite DD0203 and have had no problems at all with it. My discs can be read by all 3 of my standalone dvd players and I haven't found any media that hasn't worked perfectly yet. I have used DVD+R and DVD-R, I haven't used any RW yet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm still cranking out all sorts of discs with my Optorites and nothing negative to report. Mine's a little picky with DVD media, but no bother.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another Optorite user here,all I have used is +R and +RW,overall very happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. my optorite works fine too
    Quote Quote  
  6. NEC 1300 User. Drive is a great workhorse - never gives me coasters. I use Princo, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media. I'm using the hacked firmware patch.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have optorite dd0203 too, Just bought it yesterday, have burn some cd-r's and one dvd+r without problem. I did buy the NEC 1300A but was DOA, had to return it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks for the feedback so far. I guess I was kinda leaning to the NEC just because it's a brand I know (My CDRW is NEC) but the optorite seems to have decent reviews and it comes with some software. I currently don't have a DVDROM on my PC, so I don't have DVD playback software.

if the optorite isn't supported by Studio 8, studio has an option to "create disc content but don't burn" and write the files to a disk. could I then place those files on a DVD using Nero?

PS- what version of Nero comes with the optorite drive? if it's Nero 6 that may do it for me, I've been wanting to upgrade from 5.5.xxx. is it a fully functional version or a limited OEM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you look hard enough you will find people with 'issues’ on both the mentioned drives,
    I own the optorite and have no prob with it – and I don’t use any of the software that came with it.

Using VideoStudio 7, Nero, TMPGEnc DVD Author and dvdshrink all with no probs (always burning with nero)
    Plus optorite had HD-BURN
    Quote Quote  
  10. Anyone know what chipset is the Optorite using?

RG
    Quote Quote  
  11. Found it. Its the Sanyo HD-Burn chipset. I believe that Plextor is using the same CS for their 8X drive.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my DD0203 works great n the HDBurn is really neat. burnt 1.42GB on a 700MB CD-R. little fussy with cd-r media for hdburn. Fuji works great for hdburn.
    Quote Quote