VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want an external dvd burner so I can capture video...burn to dvds to watch on home dvd players. So I'll be recording in DVD-R or DVD+R most of the time.

I've read, read and read some more tons of reviews articles etc on different drives. For the most part -- aren't all current burners at the same 4x 2x whatever speeds?

I mean, for burning in DVD-R, +R is there really a burner that's faster than the others? Who, how?

Here are the external multiformat DVD burners I know about, how do these rank -- which are good, which are bad.. why and why not?

Sony ...510
    Iomega Super DVD Drive
    TDK

are these top three the best?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am not that up on firewire and externals yet, but I think you can buy an external firewire inclosure and use any IDE drive basically.

So if I am correct here, you should be able to buy any brand DVD burner and use it. I have NO idea how fast firewire is, I guess it would support 4x??

Also to me media compatability would be more important than a minor speed difference. I would rather be able to burn any disk well, than gain a minute in speed and be stuck to just high dollar media! Also probably more media related in most cases for minut speed differences than drive related.

If I am correct about the firewire I think many people are having the best luck with the A106 ?

SInce I also have an interest in externals maybe before long, Ill be watching too, so if I am wrong guys, say so ok!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, check out comments on DVD Writers to the left.

<<=== Over here
    You create your own reality. Interested in media servers and HTPC? Can we talk?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I believe a USB 2.0 enclosure would work as well. I would think (if you had USB 2.0) it would be easier to find on another person's computer in case you loan it out. If my numbers are right, all wirters go over an ATA33 which means 33mb/sec and USB 2.0 does something like 148mb/sec. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Plenty of headroom in USB 2.0. USB 1.1 is 11mb/sec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So are you saying that an external DVD writer is faster than internetal?!?!

I haen't found the info on DVD writers to the left to be very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by portrower8
    So are you saying that an external DVD writer is faster than internetal?!?!

I haen't found the info on DVD writers to the left to be very helpful.
    No, he is saying a USB 2 connection is fast enough to keep up with the drive.

An external drive is identical to an internal drive, just has an added case, power supply and some way of connecting it to the PC, either firewire or USB2.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Firewire will easily be enough for a DVD drive, but unless you have a very fast computer I would stay away from USB (2.0) because it sucks up resources and might cause your computer to not be able to send enough data to the DVD drive.

:P
    Quote Quote  
  8. The fastest external DVD writer is the Plextor PX-708UF
    that writes 4xDVD+R medias at 8xspeed in 8 minutes
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What's the fastest internal?
    DVD-R?

Do other things make it fast? Other than the speed or media?

I could take an internal, and get an encloser for it from firewire direct or something, right?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote