VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I received my Panasonic/Matshita SW-9571, and successfully burned an image of a home movie DVD (made in Ulead DVD Workshop) to a Memorex DVD-RW using Ulead DVD Workshop, to test out that everything was working OK. But when I try to burn on the DVD-Rs I bought, I'm getting a "Power Calibration Error" most of the time, burnging in Ulead DVD Workshop, Nero and DVD Decryptor, burning at either 1x or 2x. Only 2 of the 10 discs have been sucessful, and I did nothing different on those two. I upgraded the drive's firmware to A112 but the problem remains. Is it just that my DVD-Rs are poor quality? I foolishly bought the chepest ones I could find - "Mirror Platinum". Am I screwed with these discs, or is there anything I can try?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same message with my Ricoh 5125 but it seems that having the device alone on its IDE channel helped.
    I didn't made a coaster since then, I hope it will continue...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that, but I won't be able to do that, since I have two hard drives on one IDE cable and two optical drives on the other.

Any other suggestions? For some reason, I thought that cooling the disks first might solve the problem. Don't ask why. And don't tell me it won't help - if I believe it will fix the problem, it might do that . Expect a reply in about an hour with either "IT WORKED!!" or "Damn, I'm sure that would help"...
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, so chilling the disks changed nothing (I can't say I'm surprised, but hey, it was worth a shot). I'm guessing (and hoping) that the problem is simply the cheap DVD-Rs, since the Memorex DVD-RWs work perfectly. So I've ordered a sample pack from blankdiscshop.co.uk containing 6 different DVD-Rs, to see what will work in the drive, then I'll order 25 of a kind that work OK.

What do you think the chances are of of me being able to sell the remaining 23 Mirror DVD-Rs? Or do you think I could even get a refund for them, considering there probably isn't actually anything wrong with them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's a bit funny because I also didn't have any problems with my DVD+RW... only had problems burning DVD+R, Platinum brand. Usually it stopped around 50% on a command error according to Nero, I don't remember exactly the message. So your problem looks quite the same than mine, though it's not the same kind of burner.
    Maybe the discs are in fault, but you can't say this brand is better than another just because you burnt 1 successfully. I burnt my first Datawrite OK and made coasters from the 2 following... Same goes for my pack of 25 Platinum, roughly 8 coasters with it - though they seem to be made by Ricoh.

Now I can't say if it's really a problem of IDE combination, the fact is now that my burner is isolated, I hadn't made a coaster. Hope it will last.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure the burner is on the cable as the master, and if it is, try unplugging the ide and power from the other opticle drive, maybe it is loading the ide down, or aybe you are running out of power. At least powersupplies are fairly cheap.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Panny 9581 user here I had this message pop up when using my latest batch of budget Nan-Ya disks which previously had served me so well (2 of 3 failed with the "Power Management Error" message). As far as I know this error is connected with the laser not being able to get up to speed and burn to the disk accurately ......this message is usually associated with cheapo media, where the laser has problems with some dyes. Anywho I buy my media from SVP and was able to return the latest batch and exchanged it for Datasafe x2 disks with great success. Look for disks using a Ritek03 dye and you should be ok. I have my DVD recorder as slave drive connected to my DVD player and have never had a problem with this.
    -------Aldershot Town F.C--------
    "The Phoenix Continues To Rise"
    Quote Quote  
  8. pce means youre writing too fast for you computer, try writing at 1x.....

also read the faqs for your unit at the manf web site.
    Quote Quote