VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want to get an external dvd burner...i read about the dual burners thats okay but my question is that ive looked at various external burners on different web sites..they all seem to come with cd-r burners too..i dont need cd burner as my comp has one and i figure an external dvd burner
    would be cheaper without one..does anyone know of dual format external dvd burner without cd burner?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. No, not off the top of my head. In fact it's going to be fairly hard to find one that doesn't do both DVDR and CDR. The reason is that most people (at least the companies believe) want both.

Some of the older (2yrs ago) 1x or 2x drives were DVDR only. But I know of no 4x drive that DVDR only, and most of the newer 2x ones do both too.

However, dollar for dollar (if you really can't use don't want an internal drive) you might want to buy an internal drive, put it in a firewire or USB box w/ powersupply and 'build your own' ext. Normally cheaper...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vejita,
    thanks for reply..guess i'll end up with both..
    can you come over and build me an external drive ? :P

(just joking...maybe)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not that hard to install a DVD burner in an external drive case. I would recommend a USB2.0 - Firewire combination case and pay about another $30us for a PCI firewire card. USB can be a little flaky with external drives. Firewire no problems. I have used this setup with my laptop with no problems. I would also go with a R-, R+ drive for the best compatibility.
    Quote Quote