VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not new to video/editing/dvd production, but I am new to all these avi/mpeg conversion problems.

I have two questions.

1. When people rip from a dvd, why do they set the avi framerate to 23.976? Why don't they just keep the 29.976 framerate of the DVD? What is the advantage of doing an Inverse Telecine on it? It will still play properly in a computer at 29fps.

2. I'm trying to put an AVI movie onto a DVD. The movie is an AVI file with a framerate of 23.976 and a size of 576x320. I would like to explain how I'm doing it and see if anyone has a better process. My problem is that I'm burning the finished DVD onto a DVD+RW and playing it in a Philips 985 Stand alone burner/player.

While playing the DVD, the picture repeats a section of video about 5 seconds long, several times through the DVD. Other than this, the DVD is perfect.

Here's what happens: The timer stops on ...say 2:44, while the picture plays normally for about 5 seconds. Then the last 5 seconds of video repeats itself, while the timer continues normally. In other words, when the timer stops, it acts like it rewinds for about 5 seconds, starts the timer going, and plays that section over again. You might have to read that several times to get the exact timiing here.

This happens numerous times throughout the movie. It is NOT in the VOB files on the HD.

I used VirtualDub to convert the framerate to 29.976.
    Used Main Concept Encoder to create a standard MPEG2 file.
    Use Ulead Video Studio 6 to Author the DVD (very simple UI).

The computer that I'm using is a 1.8Ghz eMachine if that makes any difference. I'm using hp DVD+RW (Ricoh) disks, and Ulead burns the DVD, using a HP 300i burner.

There's a lot of information in this forum, but I can't seen to find an exact solution to my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When people rip from a dvd, why do they set the avi framerate to 23.976?
    Because they want to? :c* I don't know. People tend to expect a lot from downloaded movies.

A back-up copy of your own is one thing. Authoring your own content is another. Trying to repair other people's mistakes, oversights, and ommissions isn't worth the money you save - if your time is valuable.

I'd prefer to buy the DVD and be headache-free.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. When people rip from a dvd, why do they set the avi framerate to 23.976? Why don't they just keep the 29.976 framerate of the DVD? What is the advantage of doing an Inverse Telecine on it? It will still play properly in a computer at 29fps.
    When you RIP from a DVD you get just what it has. MPEG2.
    You don't RIP to an AVI. You can Decode the MPEG2
    Most commercial NTSC videos are 23.976 with pulldown flags
    to make it play at 29.97. There are really only 23.976 frames/sec
    in the video. The extras are generated by the decoder.
    You don't do a IVTC on such video. All you have to do is ignore the flags .

If you do that you will have the original Film in an AVI at ~24 like it started.

Anyway you probably have an Xvid or Divx and who knows what they did
    to make those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, it's a Divx encoded avi movie. I should probably read up on that to find out what that is all about. So, from your comment, it sounds like there are no standards with movies like that?

Anyway, any comments or help on my real problem about the picture repeating on DVD playback on a stand alone player?

I have another DVD player, a Zenith, that doesn't read DVD+RWs at all.

I've read that it may be the media, but I haven't had any problems with the Philips 985 reading the hp (Ricoh) media before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjjordan
    I used VirtualDub to convert the framerate to 29.976.
    Used Main Concept Encoder to create a standard MPEG2 file.
    Use Ulead Video Studio 6 to Author the DVD (very simple UI).
    OK problem number one is that you used VirtualDub to convert the framerate from 23.976fps to 29.970fps.

WRONG

If you have a 23.976fps AVI then it is progressive video and should be encoded as progressive with 3:2 pulldown. I'm not much experienced with the MainConcepts encoder but you want to encode at 23.976fps and then set it to 3:2 playback. I don't know if MainConepts does this all in one (as does TMPGEnc) or if it simply spits out a 23.976fps MPEG-2 that then needs to be run through PULLDOWN.EXE (as does CCE encoded files).

Second major point is the resolution. The original of 576x320 needs to be made DVD compliant which means it needs to be 720x480 or 352x480

Assuming your source is 4:3 widescreen with the black bars chopped off then you would want to resize your 576x320 to 720x400 with 40 pixels of black bars above and below to get the height back up to 480.

Please note that I am kind of "winging it" with that 720x400 value. In other words I think it is correct but you might have to test it yourself to make sure. This is where TMPGEnc comes in handy. When you import the video you select an aspect ratio of 1:1 VGA then select FULL SCREEN (KEEP ASPECT RATIO) and it automatically resizes it correctly for you.

Anyways good luck

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. John, Thanks for taking the time to respond. I made several revisions to my initial post and one sentence got lost.

In Main Concept Encoder, I tell it to resize the video to 720x480 and tell it that it's 16:9. This produces a perfect MPEG2 file that is 720x480, 16:9 format and the picture and sound are perfect.

I'm not clear on everything you mentioned, but I would like to say that I think you may be missing my problem...if you're trying to tell me that I'm doing it all wrong.

The finished video is EXACTLY like the original in quality and size, and the sound is exactly in sync throughout. I'm happy with the finished video and don't believe I've done anything wrong, per se. I was asking if anyone had a better or easier way to accomplish this. As I mentioned, the finished VOBs in the VIDEO_TS folder play back perfectly and look as good as the original avi file.

My problem is with the repeating of 5 seconds of the video that is burned onto a DVD+RW disk in a stand alone player and was wondering if anyone had seen similiar problems.

You do bring up some interesting things to try though. My TMPGEnc Mpeg2 'trial' expirerd long ago. That's why I don't use that for this purpose. Since I have what I consider better ($$) MPEG2 encoders, I simply used them. Main Concept Encoder is great...and simple to use, but lets you manipulate every possible item in the encoding. Much more than TMPGEnc does.

I noticed that the settings in MCE (Main Concept Encoder) shows the proper framerate, but is set to use 'Bottom Field First' Field Encoding and no Deinterlacing or Pulldown. This doesn't seem to affect the quality of the finished product???? Not sure what is really happening there.

I hope I don't seem disrespectful, John. I'm sure you know more about converting this stuff than I know at this time, so I am interested in what you have to say.

In the beginiing of your post, you said that what I was doing was wrong. I'm only guessing on how to do this, since this is my first avi to DVD conversion that I've tried using these tools. But, if what I did was wrong, what should I see that would tell me that it's wrong. e.g. audio mis-sync, jerky motion, etc?

After it came out of VirtualDub, it looked good on 3 different players on my computer, so I assumed that I did good , Newbie and all.

When the file came out of MCE and looked perfect, I was excited. When I burned the DVD and it not only played, but looked good, I couldn't believe that I actually figured out how to do it on the first try. Sorry if I sound like I'm blowing my own horn, but after reading all the posts from people that have problems, I feel good.

I always want to keep learning, so your comments were important to me. I will try each and every suggestion that you made to see what happens.

Meanwhile, do you have any suggestions as to why my finished DVD repeats in a stand alone player.

I'm about to burn it on a DVD+R to see if that solves my problem, because the VOBs on the HD look fine.

Thanks for any and all feedback
    Quote Quote