VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed when playing MiniDV files using Windows Media Player under XP, at 100% the image size looks more like VCD Res

If look at the properties of a MiniDV file in Windows Explorer the properties indicate the resolution is 720 x 576, so why doesn't Windows Media Player display the image at 100% at the res 720 x 576 ?

Thanks
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Media player just doesn't handle DV very well, don't know why, it just doesn't. Try something like power DVD, which still doesn't handle it correctly, but is much better than media player.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I am guessing when editing it shouldn't make any difference? is that correct?

Thanks
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your editer should show the video somewhat correctly. And if it is really DV it will be at 720x480 ntsc and whatever pal is (720x576?). I think power DVD displays the size correctly as well as de-interlaced playback correctly. Normally I just use Media Player to make sure there is really video and audio, and let things fly from there. So far this method hasn't let me down. And normally I use DVio to transfer, so I don't see it then either.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow I am glad am not the only one with this problem. I have also found that Zoom player does not handle MiniDV files correctly ether.
    Does any one know of a player the does play MiniDV files in there full resolution.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like that mplayer classic.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This fix is simple.

1. Open a MiniDV avi file with Media Player (I assume under XP)
    2. Select TOOLS then OPTIONS
    3. Click on the PERFORMANCE tab then then ADVANCED button
    4. Under Digital Video you will see a slider, move it to LARGE

Thats it

Good Luck
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot AmeliaK that work perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad I could help. I know what its like. Its only a minor issue but it really gets under you skin

Cheers
    Amelia
    Quote Quote