VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need something that will translate an EXE into frms for VB. I asked a friend and he told me to look for a decompiler (or dissassebler?). Can thsi be done? What should I search for? Most of the decmplrs I've found only do java.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried this, and it depends on which version of VB the creator used. VB5 and above do not decompile. You can normally get the forms data to see the buttons and whatnot, but that is about all. I'll look and see if I kept any of the software and give you the names. I searched google for many days to come up with what I had, key words like VB decompiler, and VB disassembler should get you some hits. Maybe VB5 or VB6 instead of just VB.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have VB6.

I looked around and now believe there arent a lot out there because of legality reasons (stealing code, etc.).

But theres always hope...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think its possible. If you ever read about people porting games, or apps, to other systmes, you hear alot of "you need the source code". The only thing that could come close would be viewing it in a HexEditor.

I may be wrong. Might be just talking out my a*s
    Quote Quote  
  5. These tools are readlly available to SW and FW developers in the form of debuggers.
    Try MS Visual Studio or Borland for windows based apps.
    Any debugger is also a disassembler. Debuggers will only produce assembler code.
    MSVS will match source code with the debuged assembler code.
    I believe that there are several standalone X86 disassemblers.
    Remember that their are hundereds of uprocessors and their associated developmenet enviroments. There are also ICEs and simulators.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grossjamesh
    These tools are readlly available to SW and FW developers in the form of debuggers.
    Try MS Visual Studio or Borland for windows based apps.
    Any debugger is also a disassembler. Debuggers will only produce assembler code.
    MSVS will match source code with the debuged assembler code.
    I believe that there are several standalone X86 disassemblers.
    Remember that their are hundereds of uprocessors and their associated developmenet enviroments. There are also ICEs and simulators.
    All that stuff will stil only get you assembly code, and if you don'thave the source, it can not compare the traps to the source code. Unless the exe was written in vb4 or below.

check these links:

http://linux20368.dn.net/crackz/Vb.htm

http://millennium.fortunecity.com/rollingacres/337/links.htm

ftp://ftp.saurik.com/

http://www.saurik.com/net/exemplar/

also look for programs:

hell, i'm too lazy to type them all out, so here is a picture:

If you can still find them all, you'll have a lot of tools to simply give you the forms, and the machine code. Don't worry about the missing folders, they are of no concern. No guarantees on the links. Have fun.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote