VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone flashed this???
    Take it from the Champs,
    Graffiti is for Chumps!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. is it gonna burn my 4x +R media @ 8X? That would damn sure be nice. Hopefully Sony will release a firmware update soon which will allow the 510a drives to burn +R 4x media @8x. Apparently the Sony lasers are powerful enough and capable to burn up to 8x.

I'll upgrade to 1.0d though....although I can't see any reason to...the 510a burns every piece of 4x media i've put in it @4x..and does so flawlessly. What a drive! :P
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just upgraded...but noticed something odd. The Sony firmware utility..makes you reboot your PC before it flashes the drive...that's typical of all the Sony firmware upgrades....and it's smart to reboot prior anyway.

But the odd thing was when my PC rebooted the firmware utility was the only thing which loaded up. None of my desktop icons loaded....and although I hadn't seen a firmware upgrade do this prior...I figured that was normal too..so I simply flashed the drive anyway...and it completed successfully. It said drive updated successfully...

but i'm curious...has anybody else that upgraded the firmware noticed that when the PC restarts initially..the ONLY thing which loads is the firmware utitlity..and NOT the desktop icons or other start programs?

I'm guessing that was normal and all the start programs were temporarily disabled so that they couldn't conflict with the firmware upgrade..but if anyone else has tried to upgrade and noticed the same....plz advise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. yes i flashed my burner with that firmware and when it rebooted that was the only thing that loaded.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any have out there tried this on Sony DRX-500UL? Thanks-B
    Quote Quote  
  6. ghoster wrote:
    yes i flashed my burner with that firmware and when it rebooted that was the only thing that loaded.
    cool..thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. defense - have you tried burning any disk at 8x?-B
    Quote Quote  
  8. defense - have you tried burning any disk at 8x?-B
    No I haven't...lol....but there is no doubt that Sony can and hopefully will release a firmware upgrade to be able to burn to +R @ 8X. Apparently the current lasers in all their burners can support the 8x write power.

I only set my burning software to the "MAX" option and that's been 4-4.3x for all my 4x disks. If you selected 8x it would probably just downgrade to 4x anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Apparently the current lasers in all their burners can support the 8x write power.
    How do you know this? Is it on Sony's website?

I only set my burning software to the "MAX" option and that's been 4-4.3x for all my 4x disks. If you selected 8x it would probably just downgrade to 4x anyway
    So what is this firmware really use for? I thought it will allow you to write at 8x-B
    Quote Quote  
  10. How do you know this? Is it on Sony's website?
    It was in a published article.
    So what is this firmware really use for? I thought it will allow you to write at 8x-B
    Firmware allows for a number of things..one of them is write strategy. Not sure why you'd think you'd be able to write @8x with this latest firmware...Sony never specified that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. cdrinfo
    Sony develops new laser diode promising 16X DVD recording
    Thursday, 28 August 2003

Sony announced that a new 650nm semiconductor laser diode is currently developed, allowing DVD recording speeds up to 16X. First samples of the new "SLD1236VL" series are planned to be available by December 2003, while mass production will start in June 2004.

According to the company, current laser diodes used for Sony DVD recorders are capable of 8X recording
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah i flashed it in XP had no problems, it now burns at 4x on shintaro dvd's i bought which are rebadged Princos but it really shits me the sony dru510a does not support overburning to cdr's NO BULL
    Quote Quote  
  13. i would crap my pants if sony released a firmware that will allow you to burn at 8x with the dru500a. that would be awesome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just flashed my Sony DRU-510A to 1.0d and Windows XP Home Edititon also only ran the Sony flash update software upon preliminary reboot.
    It *would* be awesome if they released a firmware update that would allow the DRU(s) to burn at 8X.
    But then, you'd have to wait a while for 8X media to become affordable, and then, after 8X media became more plentiful, you'd have to sort through the Princos, the LongTens, and the other crappy vendors of 8X media.
    Hell, we haven't even yet gotten 4X DVD media to the point where you don't have to pay attention to what you're buying. I am not looking forward to going through the same process with 8X media.
    Quote Quote