VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

today I was totally shocked. My 9 month and around 50 burnings old Sony DRU-500AX spit out a milkywhite plastic ring (outside-diameter 2.5 cm and inside-diameter 1.5 cm). Has anyone else had that problem. What could this ring be ?

Of course the burner only burns bullshit now - I have to bring it back to the store
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What could this ring be?
    Maybe it ate something that did not agree with it.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I had the same thing happen on my DRU500a burner and of course it won't do anything now. The white plastic or nylon washer looking thing that came out of it was about 0.5 inches in diameter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    What could this ring be?
    Maybe it ate something that did not agree with it.
    Nope - I din't put anything beside DVDs in and no one else has access to the burner.

I can still watch DVDs - but not burn. Every burning stops after arround 3%. I brought it back to the store and they have never seen this before. The shop was very friendly and gave me a alternate device until my burner is repaired. Its just a Toshiba but that is what I call real service in a store.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question . Did your burner start making any noises before it spit out this plastic ring ? I ask because my seven month old 500AX is starting to make clicking sounds when I insert a disc . Sounds like the laser transport banging into its stops . It still works but sometimes wont read a disc . Almost as if the laser was jammed .
    Keep it on the big cam !
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have two Sonys, both have the phone number to call right inside the box top for support. Or
    http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru500adwn.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by handyguy
    I have two Sonys, both have the phone number to call right inside the box top for support. Or
    http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru500adwn.htm
    I tryed sony.storragesupport.com - but they don't support european costumers. And the phonenumbers on my burner are also US only.

And no - the burner din't made any noises before - but the disc wont come out. I had to press reset and open the tray while the PC was booting. Then the tray opened. While I took the DVD I saw below the tray the ring and took.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here's a thought....

You know those little plastic rings they put at the top off a DVD cake (tub of blanks) ?

Would be really easy to put a blank DVD in the drive with one of those still sat on top.....

Col
    Quote Quote