VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just built a new PC and the HD is partitioned into a number of drives two of which are 45Gigs NTFS and the others are formated as FAT32. On a couple occasion the whole PC has locked up during burn.

I am using XP should the whole disk be formatted as NTFS?

Kind Regards
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi down under or should I mid-day to ya. Your problems seems more like software or hardware related. Need more info though. What burning program are you using and what hardware (CD/DVD) writer and media? Please answer these and post back. Lock-up, in other words you have to do a hard reset to get the computer out of this condition?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Writer (A06) works fine, because I use to have it on my P800. Just built a new PC (AMD 2.6) and I am using Nero Express to burn (the version that came with my A06).

When I rip a DVD to my HD using DVDShrink on some occasions the Rip I do, can't seem to be burnt. Then if I rip it again, it works. The HD is a new 120Gig Seagate, which I have a feeling may be the problem. I think it could be faulty. On a couple reboots WinXP came up with some errors about clusters which require fixing??

It's 4:50pm (Tuesday) here so I am guessing you're asleep now

Cheers
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you done any thing that fills up the memory yet, besides burning? Could be a faulty bit of memory. Not really fond of the seagate drives, but the new ones seem OK. Is you burner on a different controller than your hard drive? Any thing else that can be disconnected in your machine, capture card, other drives, etc.?
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your DVD burner connected to on the motherboard? I know that Sony burners will use 100% CPU if they are connected to a RAID controller. (do a search for sony & raid for more info). If this is the case with yours, move the burner to one of the non-raid connections (set as master) and move one of your HD if necessary to the RAID.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  6. I assume you are not connecting both the HDD and burner to the same IDE controller....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help . . . I found the problem It was the HD!!! I think.

I replaced the HD with another seagate and touch wood it seems to have fixed the problem. All the partitions are now formatted as NTFS, so I'm not sure if the problem is fixed due to all the patitions now being the same type or the fault was assosiated with the other HD possibly being faulty. I'm leaning towards the HD being faulty.

The DVD-Rom and DVD Burner are on the same cable (Second IDE) the HD is using the first IDE.

Lets hope no more coasters!!

Cheers
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  8. 8) hmm this was a rather large clue tho;
    On a couple reboots WinXP came up with some errors about clusters which require fixing??
    I dont think you should ever ignore these "warnings". It might just have been crosslinked sectors which can happen when systems crash. A scandisk or reformat might have been equally effective. All ntfs or 50/50 ntfs/fat32 is no problem at all.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks RabidDog,

I guess I had a concern the first time XP did the cluster fix as I handn't had a crash yet. I have spoken to a few more people including the supplier of the HD and like you they said mixing FAT32 and NTFS on the one disc isn't a problem at all.

I did do a reformat with the other HD, but the problem was still there. So I'm still leaning towards the HD being the problem.

Cheers
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK if you guys didn't think I was nuts before you will now

It happened again, a complete lockup require the use of the Reset button!!!

This time I looked at the burner and I contacted Pioneer. I was told to disconnect the Slave Pioneer 105S DVD Rom Drive and it seems to be working fine now.

I basically had both the DVD Rom and DVR hooked up to the same cable using IDE2, The Pioneer DVD Rom was the Slave and the Pioneer DVD Writer was the Master. What I don't understand is how this could cause the PC to lock up. Both of these Drives came straight out of my PIII 800 in exactly the same configuration

Any thoughts as to why this should cause the PC to lock up?

Thanks
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you have the burner (master) connected to the last connector on the cable and the slave (rom) on the connector in the middle? That could be the only thing I can think of. Or the pioneer stuff doesn't like the chipset that is in your new machine.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most common cause of lockups I have seen ...especially with AMD Processors is heat and/or the PSU too small....

PSU should be at least 400W for standard machine with DVD Burning and bigger multiple Hard Drive.... 500 would be better...

You might give more info on your system contents.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    parsonsj,

I don't think its heat, the processor get to around 35 and that's pretty much it. The PC isn't overclocked either.

The village idiot,

I just tried what you said and I am burning right now so it will be interesting so see how it goes. I had the end cable (Black Connector) connected to the Slave and the Middle connector (Grey) connected to the Master (Burner). Could this make a difference??

Thanks Guys . . . Really THANKS! for putting up with me.

Regards
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The village idiot,

I forgot to mention to you that my DVD Printer is working perfectly!! I have done around 30 DVDs now!!

I will take some pictures of the mod and post it on the forum!!

Burning Update

Looks like the problem was the cable, so far 5 burns all ok. Will test it again tomorrow to confirm. I wonder who put the cable in

Cheers[/b][/i]
    Quote Quote  
  15. was about to suggest checking the jumper settings on drives see if they are cable select, set as master or set as slave. swap your cables around, for the one you know works. Sometimes simply the fact you plug and unplug the cables cures the problem.
    (I too have recently gone from a p3 866 to a amd2.6)
    No Dvd burner tho
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did a couple of more burns and looks like its all working fine. I didn't think the cable would have made any difference. I know a floppy drive cable has a twist in it, but the IDE cable looks the same except the colours of the two end plugs being different. Oh well there was a 50% chance I was going to get that right, same I didn't the first time round.

Cheers
    Amelia
    Quote Quote