+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ampex
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Actually I had nothing but problems using Optodisc media with media code OPTODISCK001 (freezing/locking up) with my NEC 1300A, then switched to Ritek 4x's and haven't had a problem yet. So I know there's a difference in quality from first hand experience.
    Are you on the lousy NEC 1300 firmware?
    I tried both official firmware and Herrie's modified firmware and got the same results each time, Optodisc just wasn't cutting it. Just to clarify, these were discs with the OPTODISCK001 media code, and I tried both 1x and 4x. All were crap.
    I have access to a NEC 1300 burner, through somebody else, and it just acts odd sometimes (main reason I'd never buy one). I'd say invest more time in the burner if you care, or just move on to another disc that fits into the narrow groove of accepted media by that particular burner. I know Ritek and Princo work well in it, at least the one I've seen in action.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I had nothing but problems using Optodisc media with media code OPTODISCK001 (freezing/locking up) with my NEC 1300A, then switched to Ritek 4x's and haven't had a problem yet. So I know there's a difference in quality from first hand experience.
    Are you on the lousy NEC 1300 firmware?
    I tried both official firmware and Herrie's modified firmware and got the same results each time, Optodisc just wasn't cutting it. Just to clarify, these were discs with the OPTODISCK001 media code, and I tried both 1x and 4x. All were crap.
    I have access to a NEC 1300 burner, through somebody else, and it just acts odd sometimes (main reason I'd never buy one). I'd say invest more time in the burner if you care, or just move on to another disc that fits into the narrow groove of accepted media by that particular burner. I know Ritek and Princo work well in it, at least the one I've seen in action.

I'm sticking with Ritek from now on, I was just pointing out my experiences related to the thread topic. I've also had very good luck with BeAll but they're a little more expensive. I'm actually able to use Ritek 1x media and burn it at 2x with my 1300A without a problem as well. Officially I believe only a Pioneer A05 is supposed to work at 2x with a specific firmware revision but since the lowest dvd-r speed the 1300A supports is 2x, I tried it, and it worked. This way I'm able to buy 1x media (RitekG03) instead of the more expensive 4x (RitekG04).

Also, I'd never recommend PRINCO media, they're just too cheap and don't last long enough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually DO see a difference in quality between Ritek and Optodisk. I have used both the blue topped (100pack) and also the gold topped (100pack) Optodisks, and I have used 100 Ritek G03 and 25 pack G04. The "main" difference that I experienced is compatibility. I have an older Sony DVD player that I bought years ago, that is somewhat picky with media and it does not play about 80% of the Optodisks, while it will play 100% of the Ritek disks. Also, I notice the glue from the Optodisks is much more noticable (lower quality) compared the the Ritek disks. Now the Optodisks play in my 2 other DVD players flawlessly, but just not the older DVD player. So for me, I do notice a difference in compatibility and quality between the 2 brands.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a bad batch of Optodisc 4x right now that came from RIMA. These are starting to piss me off. Imperfections in the dyes make defective burns. If it continues, I'll probably request a refund from RIMA and go elsewhere for either Ritek G4 Branded 4x or more Optodisc Gold 4x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a bad batch of Optodisc 4x right now that came from RIMA. These are starting to piss me off. Imperfections in the dyes make defective burns. If it continues, I'll probably request a refund from RIMA and go elsewhere for either Ritek G4 Branded 4x or more Optodisc Gold 4x.
    Same reason I don't buy Optodisc. Though they are cheaper, I've found an average of any where from 8-15 discs were bad out of each 25 pack. These were purchased from both Rima and Meritline. 3 Silver topped 25 packs and 2 Gold topped 25 packs.

Looks like water spots or something in the dye layer. Didn't matter the store, nor if it was gold topped or not.

My guess is that the 4x media uses a new dye process (metal AZO) compared to the 1x media, and they haven't worked all of the bugs out yet. But the 1x has horrible reviews too.

The discs did complete the burn cycle, and most play fine on my Panasonic, and Philips players, but KProbe results are off the hook when compared to Ritek G04 media. The Optodisc 4x is also incompatible with my Panasonic LF-D311 burners.

I think I'll spend the extra $0.15 a disc at Rima and stick with the Ritek G04s.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After further testing, it appears the Optodisc 4x dyes react poorly to 4x burns on my Pioneer 105. Using them at 2x is fine. They work quite well in 104 and 103 burners. But that's not why I bought them. I already have good 2x discs (Maxell).

I've already sold off the remaining Optodiscs to a Mac 103 user and placed an order for Riteks G4 in the past 4 hours. I'm gonna camp out in Ritekland for a while (dumping both Optodisc and Princo for a while). I should have never switched to save a few bucks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I picked up a 25 pack of 4x gold OPTODISCK001 at Rima along with some Ritek G04's. I've been using them for both video and backing up data. The Ritek's have been perfect for both. I've been using the Optodisc for unimportant video for now, I haven't had a single one that hasn't failed verifying after burning for data.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Delerious
    I picked up a 25 pack of 4x gold OPTODISCK001 at Rima along with some Ritek G04's. I've been using them for both video and backing up data. The Ritek's have been perfect for both. I've been using the Optodisc for unimportant video for now, I haven't had a single one that hasn't failed verifying after burning for data.
    Verification doesn't mean anything, playback is what's important. Go play them in your dvd player and check if it skips, particularly towards the end of the disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verification is normally wrong too.

Use NERO CD SPEED www.cdspeed2000.com and run the SCAN DISC feature with a surface scan. And yes, play them too. Not convenient though when the problem is small and you don't have time to watch the whole thing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. No one seems to have addressed the biggest potential problem with Optodisc or other cheaper brands vs Ritek -- namely, longevity. I've been
    burning DVDs for a little over a year, mostly Riteks. No discs have gone bad. Whenever people wail that their discs are now dead and unplayable after (fille in the time period: 3 months, 6 months, 8 months) the brands involved always seem to be Optodisc or Princo.
    Moreover, my Pioneer 104 with 1.30 factory firmware reliably burns G03 Riteks at 2x with no playback problems, at least from anyone who has ever received any of my disks. The only playback problem I ever got was from somebody who reported a weird glitching effect when using PowerDVD to play back a DVD encoded with TMPG's "highest" motion detection settting. Oddly enough, that one was software, not hardware -- solved it by re-encidng with the "high" motion detection settting and hte PowerDVD glitch in playback went away.
    Anyway, I would be much more concerned with the longevity of the DVDs rather than their compatibility. A relatively incompatible DVD can always be ripped and re-burned with different authoring software to increase compatability (viz., ripping a DVD authored with crpware like MyDVD and reauthoring it with DVD Maestro) but if a DVD goes bad after 6 or 8 months, you're really stuck. There's just no way out if your discs degrade and become unplayable, and the only brands I've ever heard this happening to on a regular basis are Optodisc and Princo and a few other cheapie brands.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RitekG1 were garbage too. So Brand A today can be Brand X tomorrow, and vice versa. I had some Optodisc Gold 1x at one point, perfect discs. Trying these new 4x version, no way. While they do provide overall good results, better than Princo or LeadData or CMC, problems still remain. The only perfect media I can find are Maxell or Ritek at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

May someone answer this question?

What is the difference between:

DVD+R 4.7GB WITH LOGO
    and
    RITEK DVD+R 4.7GB 2.4X

It is on www.allmediaoutlet.com

Is one better than the other? With the logo is cheaper (104$ vs 109$ with no logo).

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  13. Unfortunately..sounds like some got taken with Phony Opto's. Gotta be careful where you buy your disks. As far as compatitibility goes..Opto's are some of the most compatiible disks out there....of course it seems like you may get more every now and then that you'll have to dump..vs. another brand due to dye runs, splotches...etc....but when they disks are clean...the burns and playback are flawless. Opto's are top notch..no doubt....and Optodisc has also recently heavily expanded their production facilities. Hopefully they aren't shooting out disks without concern for quality control.

With all this being said...I'm not getting used to any specific brand of disk...with dual layer technology right around the corner.....I can't wait! Talk about making things easier...gotta love the jacko's who keep saying it can't happen...just like 16x can't happen..sure it can't.....lmao
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got to see something to believe it. The 16x, dual-layer, etc.

Getting back to Opto's, maybe they are not quality controlling as strict as they used too. Who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  15. i have been having problems lately with my dvd backups...i have a plextor px-708a, using memorex 4x dvd+r, about the last 20 or 30 min of the video there are glitches until the end. From what i have been reading in the forums on this site i think it is the media.

I just checked on rima and maybe im blind but i cant seem to find any gold-topped ritek discs...can someone maybe post a link to the right ones?...thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. optos are a hit and miss... in my opinion i wouldnt even try a hit and miss brand... you have one guy on here defending them while 50 complain ... you do the math... the problem is most people think just cause the burns done that its complete and the media is fine. we need sector testing too.
    usually a 100 batch if riteks will give 1-3 discs with bad sectors... i can live with that 8)
    Quote Quote  
  17. seems that some people have had minor problems with riteks and optodiscs.... i have yet to hear of someone having a problem with Taiyo Yudens...

i dont mind the extra money as long as i know im getting good dvd-rs.... wut do u guys think?
    Quote Quote