VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which end do I open first?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi all.

I need help opening the box my DVD writer came in.
    Which end do I open first?

Thank you in advance for helping a newbie.
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a box cutter and open it from the top.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply, andkiich.

I have read quite a few guides and numerous posts, but there's no mention of a box cutter.
    Which one would you advise me to use?
    Shall I wear gloves or is it safe without?
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  4. P.S: sorry, I've just realised I forgot to add "Front" and "Back" as options.
    Please don't hesitate to recommend one of them if you think it'd be better.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ask the guy who does the great guides for Shrink if he'll do one for this important issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm so sick and tired of all these young uneducated newbies that refuse to read the guides or do a forum search.

It is REALLY annoying when they claim they have yet still ask a VERY basic question.

Maybe you sould take this DVD Writer back to the store and see if you can buy an "open-box" special.

Problem solved

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for your reply, Michelle.

I'm not sure who you mean though.
    Which way would you advise me to do it?

P.S: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181601
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  8. "Maybe you should take this DVD Writer back to the store and see if you can buy an "open-box" special."

Thanks, FulciLives, that's a great idea.

Unfortunately I lost the receipt, and doubt the shop will accept a refund or exchange.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wise ass
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Im a Noobie Noobee Noob and i have searched the whole of the internet and have not found any info on how this is done.

I am interested on some ideas on how to do this as well :P
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey Sifaga, have you tried the "box cutter/top" method suggested by andkiich?
    I found an old (and fairly rusty) one I haven't used for a long time, but wonder if it will work or if I need to update/upgrade it.

@ The village idiot,

I'm affraid I do not understand your reply.
    How would you use a wise ass (or any ass for that matter) to open the box?
    Do you mean I should try sitting on it?
    I must admit my ass is probably not as wise as I'd would like it to be, so how wise does an ass need to be for this method to work?

Thanks for your replies.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  12. presto, saying "Boxes suck!" is not very helpful.

It is not my intention to start a flame war here, as I'm the first to admit everyone is entitled to have an opinion about boxes (mine is not very high at the moment).

But I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied and experienced box users here, and I hope they will share their knowledge with us.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    suggestions:

- high tech: inject flame-retardant foam into the box, then use a flamethrower to burn the box away.

- low tech: chew a hole in the box, then extract the writer through the hole.

good luck and godspeed.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Nitroglycerine. Take about 100 cc's in a syringe and inject it into the box. Place box on a heating source (heater, stove, oven) for 3 to 5 minutes. When you hear the timer go off the box should be open from all sides.
    Hunting, sure i'll go hunting. When is cow season?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a similar problem with a box of chocolates once,but the dog grabbed it and had it open in seconds. If you don't own a dog you can ask next door. Heres a handy tip, smear some food on any weak spots.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  16. you guys have it all wrong - you use it *in* the box. simply use a sharp exacto to cut two slots - one for the drawer on the short end of the box and another for the cable out of the back. (I will post my template when I get back home)

This way, you have the pictures to refer to on the box cover when you forget how to push the button to open the drawer - a built in user guide!

Then, you use a new roll of duct tape and tape the box onto the top of your PC - use plenty of tape so it is secure!

Now, there you have a nice external drive and instead of shelling out the big bucks, you have some $ left over for some blank media. I'll post a picture of mine later on...good luck with this.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My vote goes to opening in the middle with an axe.
    I believe it woul open. If not, get a bigger axe.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am pleased to see some interesting posts here
    finally. I have wondered about the box problem for years.

Another important concern is all the little plastic bags for the
    accessories, with scotch tape. If you are half blind and
    have no fingernails from worrying about whether + or -
    is better, you can't get them open
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    anyone no where i can get a free box cutter, i have only seen left handed cutters and i am right handed.

im not sure about the guide as well

do i cut first or open box first, very confusing. might be ok for you guru, experts, professionals, admin, moderators .... but as i stated im a noobie at this

a detailed guide with pictures would help me alot.
    :P :P :P :P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Bugger, I got the box off. I used a hose pipe, the cardboard turned to goop and washed away. But now it turns out the drive is in a plastic bag with some white thingamies on each end. Water does not seem to remove them, so we're back to the drawing board.

nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  21. ddlooping,

To answer you earlier question on which box cutter, use the yellow one.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I personally prefer to use a good sturdy hammer!
    Hope this helps!
    Video of how this is done next week.

Duke
    Swing a hammer at it, if it doesn't fix it I gaurantee you will feel better.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Whenever you buy a DVD writer in a box the first thing you have to look for is a labeled marked "open other end". This tells you which side to open. If you don't see that label take it back to the store. The box can't be opened. I've never run into that problem myself but I've heard of people that have.
    Quote Quote  
  24. NO NO NO.
    Don't listing to these lame people with 1000+ posts, there all wrong!
    They don't know anything!!

The correct way to open the DVD burner box is with a chainsaw!
    You take the box out to the yard, place on ground and hold firmly with FOOT! Start chainsaw, rev up a few times so the chain is properly oiled, then aim for about 2" in from the front top side of box! In one fast swift motion drop/dip saw into and through box! If you see a few sparks don't worry about it, just a few rocks under the box. You can sharpen chain again latter!
    Now pick up box and with cut off end down, shake hard and drive will fall out!

I would post pictures of the proper way of doing this, but I curruntly only have CD burners in boxes. Though they work about the same way THEY ARE NOT compatible with DVD burners.

If you do not own a chainsaw perhaps you could download one from your nieghbors truck
    Otherwise your only real option is to return the boxed burner as defective and buy an oem instead. Oem does not come with that defective box!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  25. Bunch of pussies here?

Have a look at indolikaa's avatar and you'll know what the real solution is!

You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sifaga
    anyone no where i can get a free box cutter, i have only seen left handed cutters and i am right handed.

im not sure about the guide as well

do i cut first or open box first, very confusing. might be ok for you guru, experts, professionals, admin, moderators .... but as i stated im a noobie at this

a detailed guide with pictures would help me alot.
    :P :P :P :P
    You can can download a boxcutter from here:

ftp://ftp.boxes.co.uk/boxcutter

And here is a serial fo rthe box cutter (shhhhh! don't tell the mods about this):

DH634JGFM-HW7645GBF-JJER52-KKDHS664-0000JFTR-NCDALYO5BC211

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. (Warez)
    / Moderator Bugster

That will give you unlimited cutting with either hand, and don't give it to anyone else, 'cause it is registered to me.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by The village idiot
    And here is a serial fo rthe box cutter (shhhhh! don't tell the mods about this):
    DH634JGFM-HW7645GBF-JJER52-KKDHS664-0000JFTR-NCDALYO5BC211
    Nope this one is already blocked.

You can find the working registration number here:
    http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~tchung/pi_val.html
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    STOP!!!! My goodness, STOP!!!!

I hope I got to you in time. 8)

Don't open that box. The grief will start.

While it's closed you can still tell others that your right up there with the latest technology and own a DVD writer but you will have none of the problems.

What's the matter with you man have you not been reading any of the threads on this site. Curses to the left of us curses to the right of us. If you open the box and it's a "+" model someone will tell you you blew it and heaven forbid if it's a "-" model your sure to get royally nailed by someone with that one. Should you find a dual drive in that box you may feel you like gloating but then which media to burn? Decisions decisions?
    Do you know how many problems are reported about this media versus that media. (not to mention no bitsetting for the "+" format with a dual format drive). What about standalone DVD player issues, burning problems, software problems. Questions, questions, questions? How do I fit this DVD9 onto a 4.7 gig disc? Can I put 47 vcd movies on 1 disc. What about 17 svcd? Will they fit. What happened to the audio? Why is a 4.7 gig disc only 4.3? I shrunk a DVD and it's still too big. Why? And some of our most famous classic topic lines. Please help a noob? Help me please? Has anyone done this before? Why me? I need help? Can someone answer me? Why does no one seem to know the answer to my question? I asked this 5 minutes ago and no one as answered yet Why?. This forum stinks cause you don't help noobs and can't guess what I'm thinking.
    Why ? why? why?

Need I go on?

Save yourself a big headache. I hope the box is retail and has a nice picture on it so you can at least enjoy looking at it
    Quote Quote  
  29. You can find the working registration number here:
    Unfortunately, you need to enter the exact registration number. That's only an approximation.

(Tompika, I really laughed when I clicked your link, thanks)
    Quote Quote