VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering if I'll ever get it. I want to back up a commercial DVD that I legally own. Even though I've read the basic guide you folks have here for dvd duping, I still don't understand what to do with the files. I'm using a trial verson of DVDfab (BTWVDfab is no longer free. For the "beta" version they want $40 or it will self-destruct in 14 days. The only feature that works is the "Full Disc" feature. Everything else says "not available now" when clicked.) However the "Full Disc" feature doesn't make a disc at all. It writes two foldersne Audio_TS and one Video_TS and then quits. The audio folder appears empty. The video folder contains 4 files, starting with VTS_01_1 and ending with VTS_01_4. I think that these are vob files but I'm not sure as my Windows no longer shows extensions (My inability to turn on the extension feature is another example of my growing incompetence). I burned both the audio and video folder to a DVD using CopytoDVD but my new Sony DVD player refused to play it. ("Cannot play this disk") I apologize for the my massive ignorance made apparent by these more than basic question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just write the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders onto a DVD disc using "create a DVD data disc" mode (or whatever it's called) of any CD/DVD-writing application (e.g., Nero, EasyCD/DVD Creator). The resulting disc should be compliant with the DVD-Video standard and should be playable in a standalone player. If it's not playable, the problem may be with the disc media itself and not with the contents. Some players are very picky about which type of media they will play (DVD-R vs DVD-RW vs DVD+R vs DVD+RW). Even within a given format, sometimes one brand of disc will play and another brand will not. Click "DVD Players" on the left of this screen to and check your player and media compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  3. you can still get the free version here http://mrbass.org/dvdfab/DVDFab.exe

becareful of the structure on your DVD. The names of folders are very important (caps only) and do not bury things in folders that are clear to you but not within spec.
    .IFO and .BUP files are required.

Hve you played the movie on your PC first?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've had aready done what Forthquark suggests using CopyToDVD, using their "Data DVD" option. No go. My Sony DVD machine reports "cannot play this disk" and my Toshiba machine reports "incorrect disk." My computer also does not recognize this a DVD disk but treats it as a cd data disk reporting:"Files currently on the CD:AUDIO_TS AND VIDEO_TS" even though there is almost 4 gigs of data on the disk. This is how CopyTo DVD data disks always appears on Windows. All file names are upper case. MovieFactory2 has an "Import DVD" Feature that instructs "Select a VIDEO_TS or DVD_RTAV folder to import" but refuses to accept my VIDEO_TS file. (OK is still grayed out when the VIDEO_TS file is highlighted). I think that all the files are VOB files and that there are no IFO or BUP files anywhere, but I can't tell for sure because I can't get any extensions to show up on the filenames. Properties identifies it only as an ATI File Player file (which is its association). I can click on these files and the movie plays beautifully using ATI File Player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just tried downloading the old version DVDfab from mrbass.org. and I get an "Installer corrupted or incomplete" message. This happens on all three computers on my cable modem network.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know anythng about your program but if your not able to get it working good for you get DVDshrink. Ver.2.3 and 3beta5 are both good!
    FREE!

I doesn't make the folders for me, I do that myself though it may have a setting to do it I haven't used, but I preffer to make my own anyway for various reasons.

So DO this. Say your DVD id REO!

Make folder named reo, in that make folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS
    all CAPS!

Open DVDshrink (either verison). For rip destintation choose the VIDEO_TS folder you created. YOu should get a perfect rip of all files!

reo\AUDIO_TS (This one normally empty)
    rea\VIDEO_TS\ .ifo, .bup .vobs (This one contains those type files)

Use you Favorite DVD burning program and burn both the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to DVD R.
    DO NOT burn the reo folder, just the VIDEO_TS AUDIO_TS folders!
    Reo folder is just to keep you movies named so you know which are what!

Nero Burning Rom, DVD Video works good for some people. It works for me, not sure what version nero I have though, before 6 for sure, might be 5.10 or 5.9 ?? Others like Record Now Max and other programs.

As for shrink itself,
    3beta5 will analys the DVD and select the needed compresion for you, you can also change things manually if you want by choosing ratio and using the slide bar. Also if you want it will do a deep analisys also, takes awhile and I get great results without it, so I often skip it myself.

Ver 2.3 Has level you can select, compresion level 1, 2, 3-9 .

Both let you remove extra langauges you don't need if you want.
    Both will do FULL backups. You can also do moive only etc...
    Both have a graph bar and size info at the top so you can see if your files will fit after a rip with the settings you chose.

BOTH do a great job and are free!

I think that all the files are VOB files and that there are no IFO or BUP files anywhere, but I can't tell for sure because I can't get any extensions to show up on the filenames
    What version windows you got? Open windows explorer, click view (at top), folder options, view, you will find a list of things you can put check marks in or take out, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"!!
    Click apply, click ok.
    You can now see your file extensions so you know what you are looking at
    .ifo .bup .vob are the type file extensions you need to have in your VIDEO_TS folder. If any are missing, something is wrong I think

If you are trying to import your DVD into another program, you might have to select a .ifo file. I use Tmpgenc DVD author and when I creat a DVD and want to add it to a new DVD I am creating, I have to select a .ifo file. You do not normally do this for burning, just if you creating something else or editing.
    I don't use movie factory so it could be different, but I would try clicking a .ifo if one shows up and see what happens. Also are you just selecting the folder like clicking on it, or go into the folder like double clicking and actually be where the files are! Just clicking the folder to chose it may not be enough, you might actually have to open the folder!
    I've seen it both ways, and seen people make the mistake too.

Well, good luck, hope somethng I said helps you.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, e-mail me your address. I'll hop on a plane tomorrow and hold your hand while we make your first back-up. But you better have all the stuff on your puter and a sirlion steak on the grill. Deal?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you'd get yourself DVD2ONE and NERO, we wouldn't even have this thread.

DVD2one is about 2 clicks. Nero is about 3. It's really easy.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. but I can't tell for sure because I can't get any extensions to show up on the filenames.
    I don't have Xp, but in Win2K here is how to enable the viewing of file name extensions:
    open Widows Explorer
    Select Tools --> Folder Options
    Click the "View" tab
    Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"

As a learning experience, why don't you try putting a commercial DVD in your DVD drive and have a look at the folder structure and files through Windows Explorer. No disrespect intended, that's how I learned.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Same thing I said, but I geuss from 98se to 2k they moved the folder options from one drop down menu to the other! Just like they hid several things in acessories that used to be in the start menu! like Windows explorer! I hate a fresh install! You have to move everything back where it belongs all the time! Thank goodness for Ghost!

All my others have 2kpro, but this one is 98se, like it that way, safe from blaster worms and messenger spam! Sometimes the older stuff IS better
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  11. overloaded_ide,
    Sorry about that! I didn't mean to repeat what you said - I didn't read your post carefully enough.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Success!! Thank your all for your patience and help. DVD Shrink and Burnatonce did it for me. Probably the least helpful was DVDfab. Also thanks for helping me with basic Windows such as file extensions. More than software, my problelm was misunderstanding of the concepts, a problem that always has and always will plague me, the ideas that seem basic to most other folks being difficult for me.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hey that's fine, besides I said it was under view and you said under tools,
    Depends what system your running I guess, so it's once agian M$ fault for moving it in the first place for no reason!!

Glad you got it working for you oldsalt
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote