Hello all,
I'm a little distressed with seeing all the problems people have been having with their 880's. I've had no major problems, so far. The only problems I've had have been with the Media (and not cheap media!).
I have, on occasions, had problems with the picture freezing. I put this down to the heat within the unit. Either the plastic lens distorts, with the heat (Maybe why Philips are now using glass lens), or the disc distorts with the heat. This distortion can cause the focus and alignment of the laser beam to deviate from the specifications. There is a fan inside the unit, to cool the laser, but the ventilation system within the casing is very poor (In other words, poor air flow). I think if this was addressed, then the reliability of the DVD units would be far superior.
All in all it's a new format, and problems are likely in the early years.

At the moment I have 2 problems:
1) The 'Sync' output, via the RGB output, is too low for my monitor, which requires 1-3v. Is there a product that can boost the composite green sync output?
2) I cannot play recorded DVD-R discs on the 880; it either comes up with 'empty disc' or 'disc error'. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help in advance.

PS.
When did Philips start using glass lens? And how do you know, without ripping the unit apart, that it has a glass lens?