VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 91 to 104 of 104
Thread
  1. Member GKar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In the corner, on a stool
    Search Comp PM
    :P

    "tastes great!"
    "less filling!"
    "tastes great!"
    "less filling!"

    My little old Nec 1100a has never burnt a coaster yet (100+ DVD's), thats all that really matters to me!
    Quote Quote  
  2. this has convinced me! I'm holding off buying a DVDburner till they either bring out bluray or dvd9 (or they give them away with 50 packs)
    Besides all this tho has anybody thought that the new dvd format may be flash storage, as more and more dvd players are coming with builtin flash readers and compactflash can already go to 4gb.

    + is better than - because its always better to have more than less!
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    By the time dual layer hits the market CDR is still here which is really funny
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its because DVD is not as suitable for data store as CDRs are. CD-Rs are cheap and serve the purpose. How many files do you really have that are over 650mb? I'd much rather burn a CD-RW to transfer a couple of files than use a DVDRW to do it. The only major use for DVD is games and movies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by harrymj3
    They have been trying to sell 5 nice HP computers with DV+R drives for 579.00 usd on ubid.com for two or 3 weeks now and they still have three left. Draw your own conclusions.
    The seller(s) should have used eBay instead. :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Renegade gll99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canadian Tundra
    Search Comp PM
    I have a dual format drive but DVD writers are a means to an end not the end itself. Since backing up your movies is for personal use then it makes sense to use what works on your standalone DVD and is most cost effective. My Apex AD700 plays DVD RW (+ and -) so except for a couple of tests my backups are mostly on DVD +RW based on availability and price. If my Apex goes down the tubes then I will look for a compatible replacement that plays rewritable discs or simply transfer to a new medium and use the erased discs for data (or resell the blanks). Data backups are simple because I have had no trouble transferring either format to any computer with a modern DVD-rom. The cost is very reasonable when you consider that blank DVD RW media is about 10 to 15% of my original DVD investment.

    LanEvo7:
    Its because DVD is not as suitable for data store as CDRs are. CD-Rs are cheap and serve the purpose
    Excluding the cost of the DVD writer the megabyte cost of the media is about the same or less. I have backed up most of my original software (ie mb, video card, capture card etc..) on just a few DVD discs and find it much easier for reinstalls. I am in the process of cleaning up my collection of CDRW 650 and 700mb discs and will selloff some of them to friends and buy new DVD RW. At about a 6 to 1 storage ratio I already know that I will come out ahead by selling my 650 mb cdrw at $1 (In Canada locally retail $9 to $10 for 5 discs) since DVD/RW 2x and 2.4x cost about $3 to $3.50 each. I will actually be recouping an additional 30 to 35% of the original after tax cost of the cdrw media and reinvest in newer technology.

    When things change again (dvd9 etc..) and I'm ready to move up, I will just repeat the process and selloff the DVD RW media when it's cost effective for me to do so. While I'm not on the cutting edge of new gadgets, there are always others who lag far behind and are happy to get what for them is also a good deal.

    Format wars (not flame wars) are good for the consumer because it tends to drive the price down. Counting the mail in rebates, I got my dual writer for about the same price as a single format drive. Recently FutureShop (Best Buy) sold a triple format drive which with rebates came very close to the price I paid.

    Keep up the competition you wholesalers and retailers!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member GKar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In the corner, on a stool
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    Its because DVD is not as suitable for data store as CDRs are. CD-Rs are cheap and serve the purpose. How many files do you really have that are over 650mb? I'd much rather burn a CD-RW to transfer a couple of files than use a DVDRW to do it. The only major use for DVD is games and movies.


    I beg to differ!!!

    I can back up all my zip files, GHOST images and eveything else on 1 DVD-RW and keep it updated, not so with 1 CDRW!!!

    (NEC ND-1100a +DVD-RW user)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not talking about backuping your hard drive or programs. I am talking about every day use. On the home level, when you want to transfer some files or give some files to your friends, do you want to waste time erasing and burning a DVDR/W? I'd much rather use a CDR/W. On a business level, for presentations, sample software, etc, its much more convient and economical for them to use a CDR/W instead of DVDR/W. Though the cost per megabyte is about the same for CDR and DVDR, most of these items are one time use or need distributed to more than one person. Its very rare that these files need more than 650mbs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LanEvo7
    I'm not talking about backuping your hard drive or programs. I am talking about every day use. On the home level, when you want to transfer some files or give some files to your friends, do you want to waste time erasing and burning a DVDR/W? I'd much rather use a CDR/W. On a business level, for presentations, sample software, etc, its much more convient and economical for them to use a CDR/W instead of DVDR/W. Though the cost per megabyte is about the same for CDR and DVDR, most of these items are one time use or need distributed to more than one person. Its very rare that these files need more than 650mbs.
    So that's why some people still use the 1.44 Floppy, iomega zip disk or LS-120 these ancient gadgets was recently featured on Tech TV while watching it I reacted "Those crap still exist in the US???"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Its because DVD is not as suitable for data store as CDRs are. CD-Rs are cheap and serve the purpose. How many files do you really have that are over 650mb? I'd much rather burn a CD-RW to transfer a couple of files than use a DVDRW to do it. The only major use for DVD is games and movies.
    CD-Rs might make a comeback as a Movie backup format. I heard the DVD players are coming out that will support DIVX playback. This means I can put my 700MB DIVX(MPEG-4) movie on a CD-R and play it back. Of course the positive to this is I can probably put 7 movies on a DVD-+R with the same compression. And yes, the playback quality is as good as a DVD at MPEG-2.

    RG
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RAAGAAman
    Its because DVD is not as suitable for data store as CDRs are. CD-Rs are cheap and serve the purpose. How many files do you really have that are over 650mb? I'd much rather burn a CD-RW to transfer a couple of files than use a DVDRW to do it. The only major use for DVD is games and movies.
    CD-Rs might make a comeback as a Movie backup format. I heard the DVD players are coming out that will support DIVX playback. This means I can put my 700MB DIVX(MPEG-4) movie on a CD-R and play it back. Of course the positive to this is I can probably put 7 movies on a DVD-+R with the same compression. And yes, the playback quality is as good as a DVD at MPEG-2.

    RG
    OT:
    I hate this scenario no one will buy/ripp dvds anymore all we need to do is to download DVD-rips and play it on dvd/divx players then MPAA will fight back just like RIAA
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by harrymj3
    They have been trying to sell 5 nice HP computers with DV+R drives for 579.00 usd on ubid.com for two or 3 weeks now and they still have three left. Draw your own conclusions. ...... harrymj3
    And your point is what exactly? Maybe they should have tried selling them on ebay.com. I mean, ubid!?!?! Are they as popular as 'yahoo auctions' hahahaha
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by john1290
    Maybe they should ave tried selling them on ebay.com.
    Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    The seller(s) should have used eBay instead.
    Do I hear an echo??? :P
    Quote Quote  
  14. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RAAGAAman
    the playback quality is as good as a DVD at MPEG-2.
    This is very subjective. I would disagree. Often, I see color loss in MPEG4 compression.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads