VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. While dvdrhelp was down I may have solved a puzzle (with some help from google) which has been plaguing many Optorite users. There is some kind of small bug (which we must hope will be solved with a future firmware update after 2.16) in the way the drive handles single session finalizing. The result, even with Nero 6, is DVD-R discs that cannot be read by many players, both DVD-ROM and standalones. (No problem with DVD+R.)Here is a workaround. In Nero, choose UFO/ISO mode to write the video. (Drag all the needed content to a VIDEO_TS folder you create. Include an empty AUDIO_TS folder for good measure.) The important step is to choose the Multisession option and ignore the warning message that Nero 6 generates. Many folks say that standalone players can't read movies made in multisession mode, but my Sony (3rd highest rated presently on this site)has no problem. And my Panasonic RV32 also plays discs made this way even though it is very fussy! Neither can handle Ritek discs produced by the Optorite in standard DVD-VIDEO mode. Hope this helps some folks out there.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i didnt know that DVDs can be read with a mutlisession! But i have noticed that if there isnt enough room for another session it will finialze it. am i wrong?? But i will keep this information has it is very handy, i didnt know....SasArchiver
    AMD 2200+ (1.83ghz), 512DDR PC2700 (333mhz)
    160GB Hitachi 7,200rpm 1mb cache, 80GB Western Digital/7,200rpm HD
    ATI Radeon 9600xt 128mb 8x, KT4 Ultra FSB 333 AGP 8X/ D bracket
    DVD+R/DVD+RW/CD-r/CD-RW,Antec Plus 1000 Case with lights
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have experienced the "-R" Optorite problem myself.... I cant read standard ISO data disks burned onto a -R with my PC DVDROM. I didnt worry about it as +R works correctly and I suspect that they will figure out and fix the -R problem with a firmware upgrade at some point. In any case, I'll give this a try and report my findings....
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have no problem burning with Optorite DD0203 firmware 2.17 and Nero 5.5.10.42 to TDK DVD-R media using DVD Video mode. No issues at all. Everything burns fine for me. The only trouble I had was with Compusa branded cheap media, it would burn ok but would only play for about half and hour on my stand alone DVD player before it would skip or just stop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also have no problem burning with Optorite DD0203 firmware 2.18 and Nero 5.5.10.42 to BULKPAQ DVD-R (x4) media using DVD Video mode.

Only probs I had were (very) cheap media and burning with TDA to dvd-r.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had problems with Optorite DD0203. The Ritek G04 4x DVD-Rs burned with this burner do not play in my Norcent DP300 player. They play in the PC's DVDROM though, and also on a number of players.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have the same DVD player as griffeat and the same problem. But the DVD-Rs play in all the other players I've tried, including the Sony player that is one step down.

There is a lot of discussion about the DVD-R problem at rpc1.org. It seems that the majority of people have problems with DVD-R in DVD-ROMs. I don't have a DD-ROM.

Roderz, where did you get 2.18???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    where did you get 2.18
    Ahh well - was looking in some other forums while dvdrhelp was down and found similar topic as this one (Multisession bla bla bla..) some one there has been in contact with optorite and they supplied him with 2.18 firmware (BETA)
    Me being curious/brave/stupid/rich??!! asked him for a copy and got it emailed

As I had no probs with 2.16 & 2.17 thought I'd give it a try - havent noticed any difference.

I did manage to kill my drive though! (and windoze 2k) flash just hung every time. (tried 3 times).

Then noticed the flash prog DV2Flash.exe included in 2.18B is ver 1.0.1.1 and flash prog DV2Flash.exe included in 2.16/7is ver 1.0.1.0
    So I used older flash prog with 2.18 and everything worked again.

As I said I'v had no probs with 2.16 & 2.17 so I'm and just having a play

If anybody wants it they can pm me and I'll mail it to them but I wouldn't recommend it - on you own head be it , as they say....someware in the world.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just want to say, I just burned a tdk 3x dvd-r with my optorite burner and I just played in my rca standalone fine, in fact better then the 2.4x verbatim dvd+r that have had a few stutters in them.

So I would say all you really can do is find out what plays best in your dvd player and use that format. Hope this is of some help to someone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really think that this entire discussion abouot Optorite DD203 has nothing to do with the Optorite.

There issues in general, with knowing how and what burning software will work with your individual player.

I had a situation where my I burned a dvd-r, my Mintek-1600 did not play it, but my Cyberhome CH-500 played it perfectly. Yet, the Mintek played the same movie perfectly when I burned it on a DVD+RW.

I fouond out that for the Mintek, if I am using Nero 6, I have to clear some fields out, to simplify it and the DVD+R workks fine.

All DVD-Rs work great on both of my standalone DVDs.

Also, if you have a Optorite, and got the retail version, you have B's Recorder Gold 5 with it. I stopped using Nero 6 with it because of a lot of bugs and it not reading my entire blank media.

B's Record Gold 5 burnd HD-BURN CDs GREAT !! as well as DVDs + and - R on the Optorite. Must better and more stable than the current state of Nero 6.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have tried the multisession routine having not had a dvd-r play on my schneider 857 but playing on everyone elses....thanks to David Griffeath's post I tried on my birthday 30th sept...and blow me it worked.... wooray!!

i have tried with all sorts of "cheap" media and no prob...

i am a happy bunny with the oporite dd0203 now

big up to David, cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bobofet69
    I have tried the multisession routine having not had a dvd-r play on my schneider 857 but playing on everyone elses....thanks to David Griffeath's post I tried on my birthday 30th sept...and blow me it worked.... wooray!!
    Have you tried the multisession disc on other players? I'm wondering if gaining compatibility for a specific player using this method results in decreased compatibility with other players.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jolo
    I really think that this entire discussion abouot Optorite DD203 has nothing to do with the Optorite.

Its always fascinating when someone who has no experience with the problem makes a comment like that. The problem most certainly exists, for example

When I burn +R, I can read it on my PC's DVD ROM, My mintek 2850 and Philips 727.

When I burn -R, I can read it on my Mintek 2850 and Philips 727, but not on my PC's DVDROM drive. This mirrors the problems seen by other people as well.

In both +R and -R cases, I burn DVD/ISO, non multisession, non joliet, with NERO 5.5.10.50. For this test, I burned mp3 and jpeg files on the disk (as my standalones will play these). I used Ritek G04 media for the -R burn, and Memorex (Ricoh) +R media for the +R burn.

The problem may not be the Optorite drive, but there is CLEARLY an incompatibility between DVDROM/ISO -R discs burned by Nero on an Optorite drive and some older (1-2 year) PC DVDROM drives. Since the problem exhibits itself across multiple older PC DVDROM drives and multiple burning programs, the only non-variable is the Optorite drive, so it is the most likely candidate for the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by obeck
    The problem may not be the Optorite drive, but there is CLEARLY an incompatibility between DVDROM/ISO -R discs burned by Nero on an Optorite drive and some older (1-2 year) PC DVDROM drives. Since the problem exhibits itself across multiple older PC DVDROM drives and multiple burning programs, the only non-variable is the Optorite drive, so it is the most likely candidate for the problem.
    Does everyone experience this problem with older dvd-ROM drives? I get the impression that some people don't have this problem. That would indicate that the Optorite isn't the only variable involved.

In these situations you always hear more from the people that have problems than the people that don't.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The above suggestion by griffeat worked for me on the mintek 1600 and dvd-r's burned on the optorite DD0203.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. I am glad to see it was not only me having some bad DVD-R problems!
    When i used clone dvd for backups the disks would only work in the optorite drive itself, i thought it was the firmware so i flashed it to 2.16 and i still had the same problems-infact the flash said error at the end instead of complete-but when i checked with nero info tool it said i had updated the firmware. Then i flashed it back to 2.11 thinking it would resolve the issue but have not tested the burnt discs yet.

Anyone know a stable version to flash to and how many times can you flash the drive without it getting ruined?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I read in another forum that Optorite has acknowledged the problem and they are working on a fix.
    Quote Quote