VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gees
    if you want to do it right, yourself, you will have to learn, and yes, some things will have a learning curve. If you don't want to deal with a learning curve, pay someone else to process your files.
    I wish more people would say that!

I see a real problem with all this advertising on programs telling people "Put All Your Home Movies on DVD!" People buy one box of software and believe the claim and think the box will do it all.

I've spent a year so far researching, testing, trial & error, learning to do this professionally. And a lot more than $200.00.

I try and encourage anyone to try and do it themselves. It can be fun and rewarding. :c)

But it's becoming really frustrating reading so many posts that ask to be told every step from start to finish the day they come home with the box - or new burner.

I wish the boxes said: "Put All Your Home Movies on DVD! Buy our software, take a few weeks off from work, send the kids to Grandma's. and prepare to do a lot of reading in every spare minute you have outside of eating and sleeping. And you too can have your videos on DVD!"

- rant concluded

May I use the above ?! -
    Substituting : Spent 4 years and Several Thousand Dollars !
    Made 100's of mistakes - Forgotton more that the "Dell" generation has learnt.
    And enjoyed the satisfaction of perfecting an encode from exhauctive research. learn that word boys&girls - RESEARCH .The infomation is out there - I found it , so can you.

][
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are all gathered here, let me ask you something: Okey, you have problems with the newbies to help. I can understand that. But why you have a problem to help an old Rooster once? I mean, I helped you all here, one way or other in the past 4 years and when I ask something, nobody answers! Not even read my post! (what, about 20 hits? - the rest are mine checking the topic....)

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180081&highlight=

My botton line is that if you all here feel "irritating" by this situation, how I have to feel ?

You know what I believe? That some of you now formed a forum gang around, do some noise and try to play it "someones". And as a gang, you can speak for stuff like "newbies" attitude, etc.
    You just distant yourselfs from Newbies, the same way the 6th graders distant their selfs from 3rd graders in a public school...
    You help nobody that way.
    Better copy paste the phrase "Read the guides on your left" to any poster with those questions, than piss of him, one way or other. And this is what you do with converstations like this....

Those things with "newbies" happens on forums. I love seeing newbies here and not elsewhere. It simply means that this forum has a success. It gathers people in a huge market called "Internet". Some of them don't know how to act the first place, but soon or later they understand and found the correct way to do it. If someone don't learn how to act, how you expect to act?
    Those things need time. Nobody read forum rules, nobody read posts. You know what this happens? Because almost the 99% of the internet forums, don't have the quality this forum have. On those other forums, a search leads you to nothing. For a newbie, this forum is simply yet another forum. We are the ones to point him that we are a serious forum. We have to learn him to act the correct way. Not the way he learned to act from the other forums, but the correct way he have to act to this forum (and all the serious forums in the Net, not so many unfortunatelly...)

I also, during the years, saw older "newbies" come in this forum, knowing nothing about all this mpeg thing and do the same exactly mistakes as today's newbies. Then, they involved to advance users, learn a couple of things, change a nickname and now they act in this same place as this scene's masterminds.

Now that is what I call irritating... Expecially when some of them try to show me wrong, on things once I was the one who point them about....

Niewbies have to learn, and then they act excellent. The way I see it, the problem around here ain't them....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Holistic - Yes, :c) Feel free! :cD And maybe add your RTFM. I always forget that one. :cD

I think maybe I'm too "nice".
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sat - I've got one like that too. :,c(

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179554&highlight=chroma

I never bully people, try to help all I can and yes, I rant sometimes, on bad days. But if you read mine above, I am not faulting newbies, but the marketing techniques.

I have never been and will never be part of any "gang".

As for this thread, I think it's fine for some of us that answer the same questions over and over - and patiently - and point out resources, etc., etc, have one little place to vent frustration. Doesn't make a gang.

There are all different types of Newbies. There were 3 in the past couple of days whose first posts were to say "thank you". Look and see who wrote back to them as quickly as this board allows. :c)

PS - If I could have helped with yours, I would have. :c)
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is not a personal attack to anyone of you.
    It is more a forum attitude which I see that start rises around generally and don't like it.

This is the reason I don't help "advance" users the last 6 months as I use to.
    I only correct nowdays if you follow my posts.

I believe that soon or later the true enthusiasts gonna stay around, while the "someones" gonna pass by, as it happens at least twice in the past. Maybe with them I shall have a better chemistry than the ones who now determine the posts around....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sat I'd answer that post if I could, but it out of my range of know how. As far as why? I have no idea, I've had questions I ask before be unanswered, some since I became a mod if I remember correctly. It all a question of rather the person with the answer sees it in time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sat - I understand. :c)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For Gees
    The way i have come to understand it :
    S-Video separates the color information (Chrominance) from the brightness (Luminance), which prevents nasty things like color bleeding and dot crawl, and helps increase clarity and sharpness. Since these signals are electrical in nature, i would hazard a guess and say the *.mHz sliders allow for some increase / decrease of the signal and hence the brightness and color.

For SatStorm
    Well stated, but (speaking for myself) YES - i was new , I had questions - HELL do a search you will find a few.
    BUT, when you get questions asking how to convert Xvid to DVD with CCE and DVD Maestro - I am sorry buddy but the words "READ THE FUCKIN MANUAL" do spring to mind but alas they don't supply them with warez these days. Anyone with enough coin to purchase programs of this nature, must have had a decent education to receive a decent paying job, and learnt a "little of the queens english". Those types of questions ocassionally used to elicit a smart arse response - now days I just cannot be bothered even to log in and press a key for those. Intelligent questions WILL BE answered intelligently. Dumb ones will be ignored.

][
    Quote Quote  
  9. SatStorm, have you tried the usual trick of demuxing and re-muxing the mpeg stream, using TmpGenc or bbmpeg, before doing any other processing?

As to your suggestion that certain forum members are creating an informal 'gang' that likes to bitch about newbies, moan about posters attitudes and generally think themselves above everybody else (have I understood your post correctly?), then I have to disagree with you. Admittedly there are some who are more ready than most to jump on a clueless newbie, but we all have bad days and make occasional posts in a tone that doesn't properly reflect our normal on-line persona. The recent increase in new members has seen a marked rise in posters who not only have obviously not read any of the sites guides or tried to search for info, but simply don't have a clue as to what they can expect to achieve with their newest toy, be it a DVD burner, DV camera or whatever. I have to agree with several others that trying to help the impatient and those who are not willing or do not have the capacity to read and learn gets very frustrating, and occasionally this frustration gets vented. Personally I think an occasional thread of the nature of this one is a safer place than venting ones anger or frustration directly at the individual posters concerned, (though of course this still happens all too often and I don't claim to be innocent in this matter).

BTW, I had not spotted your audio post until today. Maybe you didn't get an answer because no-one knows the answer, perhaps you are treading new ground?!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, I link my post as an example, just to show that many advance users around, simply don't search to help. They simply try to show themselfs, that they know and that they are not newbies any more.
    This is the problem, not that newbies arrises and don't even push the search button. They don't know how to do it or -worst- they believe that it is a waste of time...
    This happens because this is the reality of other technical forums. On other related forums you search and you find nothing. So soon, expecially if you are new or young or amateur on the internet, you "learn" that the "search button" on forums is a big joke. I felt that way plenty of times searching things.
    So, IMHO, we have to show them that the "search" button in this forum is usefull. Then, the search button gonna turn their best friend

There are always forum gangs, as there always school gangs in the lesson interupts. It is natural. They split half school year corse....

The reasons Newbies rised, was because it was September. For us, living in the North Earth hemisphere, September is Fall and the begining of a new season. So we start searching stuff to play with. New stuff. It simply happens and many Newbies come direct in VCDHelp this year, that other years. Natural. They don't have the right attitude yet, to act as we - older members - like to. They shall learn, as we all did.
    The least we need is people label them "newbies", "Iritating", "stupid", etc. This way, they gonna leave for good and search else where.

And since anyone here mention the "search button", I suggest to search last years and the year's before posts about "newbies". You 'll be suprised of how common - but much less - those posts was....

About my audio problem: remux/demux ain't working. Ain't the case on those projects. I think I have a solution for this, but I don't have time to test it. And yes, it is a new ground for many, DVB to DVD transmissions without re-encoding ain't yet very common... I'm a pioneer on this, I know.
    But that doesn't excuse the fact that the users around don't even read that post. For me this means that the thousant users around simply don't care to read questions. That is what I think for it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the basic problem is we are assuming the Newbs can read. I mean they can read, but comprehension is a seperate thing.

I actually had my wife's best friend's husband over last month to learn DVD backups (he had lost 5 disney DVD's to kids in the prior 6 weeks). This guy is in his mid 30's and has a high school education.

He had incredible difficulty with the concept of re-encoding. The Idea that a 700 MB AVI would generate 1600 MB of MPEG2 jsut blew him away, he couldn't see why he'd want to do that. He eventually jsut accepted it, but he didn't understand the concept.

After 5 hours, lots of beer and some wings, he learned.

1) DVD's are encrypted
    2) DVD's store everything in 'Zip Like' VOB's
    3) DVD's can have more than 1 movie on them (4:3, 16:9)
    4) DVD's have more than one Audio track (English/Foreign, as well as PCM/AC5.1/DTS)
    *5) Resolutions. This was my goal to get the concept of resolutions, and what's valid and what's not.
    6) 2/4 Channel stereo system will never sound as good as a 5.1 stereo system.
    7) 2/3/4 disk SVCD is a judgement call based on the type of the movie.
    8) VCD sucks, but KVCD can rock (thank god for Apex),
    *9) What it looks like on the computer isn't what it will look like on the TV.

He did make his first SVCD the next day. A credible job (although he used DVD2SVCD) on a 75 minute Disney movie. He did his first KVCD about 2 weeks later, and to his credit he did it mostly in pieces (DVD Decryptor/DVD2AVI/BeSweet/TMPG). Plays in his.mine players, but not the babysitters....but he knew that going in.

I think it would have taken me a week to type everything I showed him. This site was the first thing I showed him, and he does lurk here and at doom9.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    he does lurk here
    Who is he? Let's tease umm, I mean congratulate & welcome him. ;c)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gees, do you ladies really realize what a great and terrible weapon your laughter and teasing is to us poor guys? It is devastatiing, and we have no defense against it. Wait a minute. Maybe you do know. The horror. The horror.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    :cD LOL
    Quote Quote  
  15. In regards to not reading posts some of you long timers mentioned.

I know for me I often don't read anything I don't know about, unless it's something I think I also need to learn!

For instance, on the Mickey mouse Audio thread. It's nothing I know about, so I can not help. It's not related at this time to anything I am trying to do, or learn, or having a problem with. The trueth is I never actualy saw the post! But if I had I would have skipped it. Just for the reasons above. Not something I can help with, or learn from at this time.
    Has nothing to do with a user, newbie or oldie! Er experienced I mean.

Now for me, I never ripped a DVD. Then I saw a post asking for help. Ok not really something I was doing, but since I have DVDs I should learn to back them up myself! So to help a newbie I myself learned something new! Was as simple as downloading Shrink and clicking a button!
    I was amazed it was so easy and fast! Now I have done alot of mine!
    I did not stop there though, I also wanted to test limits so I did something dumb! Captured the 2 Tape Titanic set at 8,000bps mpeg2! Now I know ALOT more about Tmpgenc DVD author and DVDshrink both! After putting nearly 12gigs on a 2 disk set, and all on one disk also!
    NOT something I would normally do, but now I know the limits of DVD Author! DVD9 is max you can make. I learned this little fact on my own, then saw the other day a post saying Tmpgenc tech support told them there is a 8.7gig or so limit.

I don't mind the posts from newbies asking how to do something if they are having problems. Heck I had lots of problems, still do!
    But it's pretty easy to tell when someone is just to lazy to try!
    They download a program with a manual. The manaul clearly states "click start to start, select mpg file, click finish", and you are done. Then they post a question How do you do this?? Or is there an easier way?
    How much easier could it be, click start and the program reads your mind to find the file you want to use??

Then there are the "we don't want to learn this stuff, we need the DVDs for christmas, so just tell us how" "With free stuff too cause we don't have any money", Type posts!
    Ok, how do you help those people? Pay my gas and give me your burner and I'll come to your house and do it for you free??

As for ganging up on them, I won't consider this type thread really newbie bashing. It's like a coffee shop where we can get together and discuss the topics of the day. Instead of religion and politics, we are discussing newbies and posts, while having a cup of coffee and a donut
    Just something to do while waitig for the next step of a project to complete, and taking a break from reading and posting awhile.
    (in the other area)

Then when I am done with my coffee, I will wade back in and answer some post about "Help quick, disk is not working" and after I read the post and get done laughing to myself, I will answer that newbies post about "the disk is cracked and what glue do I use to glue it back together again"!

I think someday I actually expect to see that one too!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Overloaded - :c))) great read, your post. And I agree with everything! except.................. I prefer peanut butter toast to donuts. :c)

LOL - I can't get the auto link out of "toast". :cD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Thing is Gees, a lot of people just think you have pressed the wrong keys on your keyboard.
    That'd be me. If it's not a cute little picture, I have no clue what kind of expression a person is trying to make by just mashing down a few keys.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    But why you have a problem to help an old Rooster once? I mean, I helped you all here, one way or other in the past 4 years and when I ask something, nobody answers! Not even read my post! (what, about 20 hits? - the rest are mine checking the topic....)
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180081
    Normally, our kind of advanced questions nobody else (or only a small few) have an answer to.

I likely just missed your post. I only read the main page and my own past threads (to see if I need to respond to an ongoing conversation).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh no! You too? So, basically, no one understands me? :cD

Where were all you before handy little animated gifs???

I got started with the typed type in emails. Now, I'm too stubborn to change and it just doesn't feel right to click on one.

Oh well. :c)
    Quote Quote  
  20. ask them to search for the answer if it's a repeated one, then closed thread. need more threads locked. how many "how do i put an AVI onto DVD?" threads do we need?

figured the point of this forum is to help, but searching and reading should be 1st.

you rarely see a question that hasn't been answered before many times over.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm reading this thread... and it is freakin' great! I never have posted a question (ok, maybe one) in this forum during my tenure as VCD/SVCD and finally a DVD-R converter guy, but have always found the answers to all my questions here... BY SEARCHING!!!! To tell you the truth, I don't know how some of you do it! I would probably have closed the forum down a month after people found out the could buy a Pioneer A03/A04 for under 100 bucks on Ebay... because everyday... more and more people are buying this technology... and everyday more and more are going to have the same questions. Fortunately for these people there are all-in-one apps for these types of questions... and if you can't figure them out... there is something seriously ailing you. Not like when I started... (Only 3 years ago) when nothing was easy... everything had a different program. Had to transcode with this, demux with that, re-encode with this, author with this, burn with this... and that was not the biggest issue... the biggest issue was that I was running pII 400 with only 64 mb of ram and the damned conversions took 15 hours!!! SON OF A BITCH!!! All that time and crappy VCD quality (until I discovered SVCD) WOOOHOOOO!!!! I am, by far, not an expert... but the some of the newbie questions.....Now I know why tigers eat their young.

My favorite question was from a guy yesterday...

I have a Mac and we made a movie, my friend has another mac with a dvd burner. Can I transfer the movie we made from my MAC to his with a floppy disc?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My favorite question was from a guy yesterday...

I have a Mac and we made a movie, my friend has another mac with a dvd burner. Can I transfer the movie we made from my MAC to his with a floppy disc?
    I think that was a lot of people's favorite. :cD

To his credit though, he popped back a few times and seemed to take it well enough. Without then cursing up a blue streak and damning everyone to hell. :c)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I kind of take offense to the forum gang theory. If it was a gang, you would find some thread where we all put a link to the people we wanted to torment. It can not be a gang unless it is organised, and none of us point out threads that we should all go to and riducule the person that started it. Many of us do end up in the same threads, and sometimes we do bite the person that asked the question. So far it has all been very tame. Go onto Usenet and try the same things. That's where I started this whole area of learning. You step out of line there, and they will let you have, both barrels and a reload and second round! You learned to lurk until you had some kind of clue about the topic of discussion. Same thing with other forums. First thing is read the help for newbies sticky post. All forums have one (all good forums at least). In those stickies, there will be valuable information about how to conduct yourselves in the forums. Also how to get your questions answered in a polite manner, and when not to ask a question. Generally the not to ask part refers to questions that are answered in a guide, or in a post that can be found by a search.

I've also "grown up" in forums that are a little on the darker side of the fence, where if you step out of line, bad things could happen (and we aren't talking just getting PLONKED!). There is a wealth of info in the darker realms, things that expand the mind, and help in everyday life. What you do with the info is what determines whether it is good or bad.

As overloade_ide put it, I don't often read the threads to I don't have a clue about. Or threads that have no interest to me. If I see a title that questions a concept I can help with, I will read it and help if I can. If I know nothing about others, I might read it, I might not. So along with replying to do a search, or read the guide, I guess I could add, sorry no help from me so that people don't fell ignored. That should bost my post count sky high in no time. Just like the Phunkie Monkey was doing in the test forum, only better :P

I'll get past Baldrick for number of posts in no time at all. I can cut and paste with the best of them, I can. I'll wear that ctrl V sequence right out and have to buy a new keyboard. In fact maybe I'll just put it in my signature, then I dont even have to take my hand off the mouse.

"Do and search. Read the Guides. Sorry, no help here."

All in one line, I can be a posting masterpiece.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent, and this should give FOO some moe stuff to work with. But the original concept was the lack of information in the subject lines.

"Help me, I'm too lazy to describe my problem, please help me." What exactly does that mean? Might even be in the wrong forum, who really knows. Generally I skip them. Generally I skip the Mac forum completely. All you Mac people, please don't take offense, I just have nothing to add, since I don't own a Mac. Though that might change in the future, and I bet alot of my questions will be answered by searching that forum. But then again, I am crazy! I'll spend hour upon hour searching with different engines to find info on a subject. And I'll do it for several days if I don't find what I'm looking for. All before I ask a simple question. There are several other forums that I don't go to. If you have something on the front page that catches my eye, then I'll read it. If not, those forums are seldom visited.

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking Sat Storm, as I have the highest level of respect for him, and he has helped me a few times in the past, and most likely the future. But when I get lumped into a group, now called a gang, of miscreants, I get a little upset.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some time ago, there was a post here about the situation in doom9's forum. There were some users said something like "I use to be to doom9's forum, but I didn't like the attitude there, so I left".
    I don't like to see this happening here too, that's why I pointing how some things look not to us, to the newbies.

When you enter a forum and you see many post titles like "Newbie here, help", if you are newbie you think "Okey, here there is help". If you are advance you say "Ooops, Newbie place, I'm out of here".

If you enter a forum and you see "Kill the Newbies" or "Iritating Newbies" etc, if you are newbie - and in a certain early age...- you think "this ain't a place for me" and you leave.

This is not what we want, right?

As I said and other pointed also, most new users don't have the attitude, the knowledge or even the manners for a forum like VCDHelp's one. This forum is among the best in our area (mpeg 2 enthusiasts), so most of us looks to newbies like "monsters of knowledge" or so. We are not of course, we simply happen and learn "How to"'s before them.
    Also, this forum has a quality that ain't easy to find on free and indepentent forums.
    You know, quality ain't something anybody can realise from the start!

I suggest a simply "read the guides" or "read the manual" or "the things you mention are warez, nobody gonna help you around" to all the new users than not answer at all to them, just because the same question is questioned millions of times before!.
    Why I suggest this? Because this simply stupid reply, show them that you read them, so you are interest to help them, you are newbie friendly! Second they took one basic lesson of how to act to this forum.

About the forum gangs, if you don't like the term, then let's say that "certain forum members, use to hang out to certain forum rooms, so to look like a forum gang, 'cause you don't find them elsewhere.... They talk the same, they act the same and they have the same scence of humor, the same attitude, etc"
    I point how it looks like to third members, not how it is...

@The village idiot: You know, my avatar "SatStorm" has a great DVB "dark" past, which the new E.U. laws don't allow me to remember....
    We all are "dark" on something....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @The village idiot: You know, my avatar "SatStorm" has a great DVB "dark" past, which the new E.U. laws don't allow me to remember....
    Yes I actually knew that, even though I'm across the Atlantic. And the dark places do give you lots of good knowledge don't they?
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  26. About this newbie thing. If everyone went and learned\read everything on their own, what would be the point of teaching? You could just have a post on a website telling you what to read and learn for today.(Yes some online college classes are like this.) A lot of teenagers and younger people are in these forums now, and are used to being taught things in a class and are taught to ask questions about things they do not know. In junior high or high school, you spend 45-60 minutes being taught, not being told to do research on your own on how to do Geometry, Algebra, etc. So come on, give some of these people a break.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a big difference between being "taught" in school and in forums. You're entitled to an education most anywhere. Your taxes pay for it, or you pay for it privately.

All information here is free. And it's free to anyone who seeks it out purely from a desire to learn something. There is no "customer is always right" policy because there is no customer.

New members, of any age, are almost always given at least a nudge in the right direction to learn on their own from the vast amount of resources that are available here - again - for free. These resources have been donated by individuals who produced them in their own time out the kindness of their hearts and a desire to share knowledge.

Everyone here who works in co-operation of spreading the wealth of this knowledge is doing that voluntarily.

This is not a fee-for-service board. They do exist. I wouldn't bother with them.

It is not unreasonable to then expect any participants, of any age, to obey rules, read stickys, take suggestions to avail themselves of resources, and feel welcome to come back with educated questions - with a proper subject line.

That is their "break".

Unless some want to start a tutoring service, for a fee.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my avatar "SatStorm" has a great DVB "dark" past, which the new E.U. laws don't allow me to remember....
    Originally Posted by The village idiot
    I've also "grown up" in forums that are a little on the darker side of the fence, where if you step out of line, bad things could happen (and we aren't talking just getting PLONKED!). There is a wealth of info in the darker realms, things that expand the mind, and help in everyday life. What you do with the info is what determines whether it is good or bad..
    Originally Posted by Gees
    This is not a fee-for-service board. They do exist. I wouldn't bother with them.
    Some of the best knowledge comes from private or paid forums.

This site is one of the few free places I actually find useful.

You never get out of line in some of the places I've been. If you do, I pity you. I've seen personal phone numbers and even utility bills posted online, used as info while people physically HUNT DOWN those that have gotten out of line. Crazy? Well, yeah. But so were the actions of the guy that got out of line with the wrong kind of people. It's amazing what you can find out with the FOIA and a little patience when you want to locate somebody.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I can cut and paste with the best of them, I can. I'll wear that ctrl V sequence right out and have to buy a new keyboard
    OH, is that how you do it? Here I been doing all that typing manualy for no reason??

Unless some want to start a tutoring service, for a fee.
    I volunteer to do an introduction to DVDshrink for $20!
    Like an introduction to computers course.

Shrink this is user, user this is shrink, money please, we have finished the course now

I no longer see their sign, but there was a place awhile back I think actualy did close to that for computers. I knew some-one that took it, they learned to turn it on and shut it down, and I think that was all!!

Latter she called and wanted me to fix her computer, she had loaned it to friends and just got it back and the monitor wouldn't work.
    Course first thing I asked, did you plug it in (yes) is it connected to the computer (yes) an hour latter on the phone I was ready to goto her house and see what was wrong and maybe loan her one of mine when we figured it out! "Yes, it was plugged into the computer"!! Grrr. She only had one cable! She didn't know it needed 2 cables, one for power and one connected to the computer, they forgot to bring back the power cable!

I geuss she thought I was asking the same question twice trying to trick her? Plugged in, connected to computer? I even asked about was she sure the wall socket worked, and she was getting power, and was it lighting up the little led.
    Yes to all, I geuss she also thought I meant the computer itself!
    And we wonder why some companies have tried to start charging for tech support and using 900 numbers!!

I am in fear of being banded here soon
    Geuss what friends, just talked to her on the phone the other day (she moved far away since then). She is all nice and happy, she is probably getting a new computer in about a week!
    IT HAS A DVD BURNER!!!

Yep, you geussed, I told her, "see you on dvdrhelp"

So if a newbie shows up in a week asking, "Why can't I see my dvd files on my monitor after I ripp them" be sure to ask if she has BOTH monitor cables plugged in!!

SHe is a nice person and a good friend, and I'm not trying to be mean torwards her. I mean no-one knows her here, and it is true, so it's not like I am trying to be nasty or ridacual her.

ANd rocks need computers too!

The only thing that really bugs me is all the free repairs and trouble shooting I do for people on old systems! Then instead of having me build them a great system for a low price, they go buy something like an E-machine elsewhere for even more money! That's what she ended up doing last time! Otherwise I enjoy helping people for free!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    You never get out of line in some of the places I've been. If you do, I pity you. I've seen personal phone numbers and even utility bills posted online, used as info while people physically HUNT DOWN those that have gotten out of line. Crazy? Well, yeah. But so were the actions of the guy that got out of line with the wrong kind of people. It's amazing what you can find out with the FOIA and a little patience when you want to locate somebody.
    This sounds like something that took place in the basement far underground a few years ago. Back when net to phone services were all over the net for free. Back when I was a different person. The one I remember was something to do with an Ex and her new guy. Or her Ex guy calling , something like that. Turning off the utilities came up in conversation, as did someone's phone number. It was something like that. Was it Ground Loop Hog Crack Head that asked that question? I can't quite remember all the specifics, but it was fun all the same.

Then there was Skippy Stomp! A sometimes ongoing project from the basement dwellers. yes some inside jokes that a few will remember, 'cause I know they tread here too
    Quote Quote