FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    Tgpo, who did you say was treating you?
    ....huh??
    Oh yeah, I forgot. You know, the nice man in the white coat who always asks how do you feel, and give you the "candy" that makes the little green men you see go away.
    Oh yeah, Dr. Kevorkian, what about him?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tgpo, who did you say was treating you?
    ....huh??
    Oh yeah, I forgot. You know, the nice man in the white coat who always asks how do you feel, and give you the "candy" that makes the little green men you see go away.
    Oh yeah, Dr. Kevorkian, what about him?
    even his name sounds evil
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just where did that group Oingo Boingo go (Hey I know I mispelled it)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did he mispost, or did he just hijack a thread?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hijack, that would be an FBI violation. Mispost, no just got tired of the rather lon........g topic. It needed some flavoring.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is only going to get worse, much much worse!

This is a chain reaction, and the chain is getting longer!

You know what is causing this right!
    LOW PRICES!!!

Yep, when you guys paid $500 for your 1x burners, people like me couldn't afford them, or at least didn't want them for that price! The 2x came out and prices dropped, more people got burners, but not alot more.
    Then more manufactors came online with their less expensive drives and prices dropped more, more people buying agian.

SO what happend was in march I bought a 2x -R drive for about $200, think it was still like $400 for the sony + - burner, and that was the only one! Still not alot of people.

Ok now we have 4x + - drives selling for $150, and the 2x I paid $200 for is now about $100 if you shop around for it!
    Now we got alot of people without a clue, and little money buying drives they don't have a clue how to use, just because they are cheap!

I read and read and read before I popped the $200 for my drive, just trying to decide if it was even worth getting one for that price!
    These Mc Donalds "do you want fries with that" kids (and adults) just pop out the credit card and say what the heck, might as well only $100!

Now we have 8X comming on the market! Drives the price of 4x lower and that drives 2x lower! Christmas is comming and tons of people are gonna be getting DVD burners as gifts!
    People that are confused as to what a DVD even is will now have burner to make them

So about jan. 2004 expect long lines to get to dvdrhelp.com
    When you get in the door expect to see TONS of messages that say
    "Imediate Help NEEDED, urgent please help"
    And if you read the post it is gonna say something like, " Which button do I push to open the tray on my drive" and to make it even worse, they won't tell us what drive they have!!!!

Hmm, perhaps we could sue the manufactors for denial of service

I like to help and I apreciate all the help I have gotten too. I was and still am a newbie, some of this is pretty silly!

ANd thanks for the tip on the quotes for searches, that will probably help me alot right there!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I say ignore them all! I like to read the posts that go something like: "why won't anyone answer my damn questions!" and "what does a person have to do around here to get an answer?"

The answer is... Seek and ye shall find! It is not always the destination that provides wisdom, but the journey that takes you there.

Also:
    Open your damn eyes you fool, there is a whole big world out there to be seen!

And :
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime"

Give a person a one click solution and they will be happy until it doesn't work. Teach a person to search for the answer, and they will be able to over come the AOL fever!
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help, My mommy won't cut the crusts off of my bread anymore
    what can I do ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Help, My mommy won't cut the crusts off of my bread anymore
    what can I do ?
    Go to a warez site and download some files, then go find the people that work in the movie industry at DVDrhelp.com and ask them how to convert it back to a real DVD again, and be sure to name the movie!
    Then get ticked off when people rag on you for breaking the rules!

I did have a thought for real though, yea, I know rare huh.
    Maybe instead of a 3-5 day wait before you can post, it should be you have to read 3-5 guides before you can post!

I know that would have worked well for me! Waiting 3 days was a real pain for me, and I already read 10 or more guides!! BEFORE signing up even! MANY MANY more if I remember correctly! I even printed a few out too!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen some well thought out responses to this post, and I am sure you all mean well. However (I bet you smelled that one a mile up the road), I find it hard to support making a beginner wait to post. He is probably so eager to get an answer to his first post and get his first project done. So when he gets flamed for being a lazy newbie, who knows what we do to his attitude about his new hobby, or his feeling towards other beginners once he is no longer a neophyte.

I remember homesteading this site for days before I even dared to burn my first CD-R. And my first post went unanswered, because no one used the DVD I was posting about. So I am in favor of making it easy on the beginners, just make sure they do not get lazy. And I will try to answer any question I am able to. Just because it is the right thing to do
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    Help, My mommy won't cut the crusts off of my bread anymore what can I do ?
    Re-encode it. Then use the toaster to burn.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by FOO
    Help, My mommy won't cut the crusts off of my bread anymore what can I do ?
    Re-encode it. Then use the toaster to burn.
    Can I re-encode it and add jelly to it without losing any quality? Please, Someone else who knows because I do not care that LordSmurf and Foo are trying to help me. (Sorry, it was a "hanging curve" over the plate. I had to "drive it out of the park").
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you find out if they read the guides ?
    A test , that's it . we get Baldrick to make an on line
    video test. If you make less than 20% you have to
    donate $100.00 and wait 30 days

I can't do Toast I dont have a Mac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can I re-encode it and add jelly to it without losing any quality? Please, Someone else who knows because I do not care that LordSmurf and Foo are trying to help me. (Sorry, it was a "hanging curve" over the plate. I had to "drive it out of the park").
    Just remember that you must use the +White format of bread, as the -Wheat format is not good enough to hold jelly in a compatible format that'll cooperate. My bread's better than your bread.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, waiting periods suck. If more people had some common forum sense to look around before posting a question that has been asked and answered, then it wouldn't be so bad. How many of the following have you seen in the past 2 weeks:

What software to use with ADVC-100 or DatavideoDAC-100?

And the answer is always the same thing Starting with DVio, etc.

I think I have seen that exact question about 4 times in the last 2 weeks, by 4 seperate people. Normally the last time it was asked has not even fallen off of page 1 of the capture forum. If after searching for more thatn 1 hour you still don't find the answer, then ask your question.

How hard is it to put the following words into the search box:

ADVC-100 capture software

Though I had better results with just ADVC-100. But both searches pointed to many threads that had basically the same things. Searching is not hard or scary. It is just common sense people.

And I do help many of them, it all depends on how the actual question is written. If they are lazy and use all kinds of shortcut words, no caps or puncuation, or all caps, then they are doomed. English as a second language gets you points, I never with hold help from people having trouble with their English, if I have anything that can help. Those people at least have an excuse for having a hard time searching.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry it took so long to reply. My mailbox was full
    of posts from the Ulead salesman. He added some
    identical SPAM to a bunch of ancient posts.

It was so obvious , repetitive , and Sales Robot-like that I forgot
    what profound humor I was about to inflict on you guys.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jdizzy40

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jdizzy40
    As you can see Danny has been keeping busy.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by tgpo
    Originally Posted by jdizzy40
    As you can see Danny has been keeping busy.
    Sounds like an idea for a new poll

When was your first Oingo Boingo experience:

- On MTV ("I - I - I love little girls...they make me feel so...Good")
    - In "Tempest" (1981) during Molly Ringwald's nude dip in the pound
    - On the cheesy Fast Times At Ridgemont High soundtrack
    - Weird Science (gotta love 80s cheese!!)
    - In a video arcade
    - On a Tgpo movie soundtrack
    - eh, what's an Oingo Boingo?
    - You mean Oingo Boingo are not Devo?

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I see one more post that includes the words: "I want the best/highest possible quality..." I'm afraid of what I might do!

I mean - come on! :cD

Just once.... maybe... I'd love to see: "Just tell me how to do everything. I don't care if it looks like cr@p."

:cD

It'd at least be a change!

===========================
    Hey - How about a Newbie Hall of Shame?? Like Lordsmurf sort of started. Not in a malicious way - just something that stays on the current page with frequent updates (because apparently too many do NOT read STICKYs, RULES, etc.) by way of additions to it.

And it's a running collection of the types of questions (links) that do not get answered. So, the message is: "If your post is anything like ones here, don't expect too much."
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The link of shame would be funny for many of us, but not for the featured posters. ANd I don't think anyone would learn anything from it

You will also notice that when they say the want the best, several of us jump straight to the top end Hollywood level tools... those damn SGI computers run a mint
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't mean for it to be funny to anyone - I meant instructive. The thought was that many new people jump right in to the active topics on the first pages - where there are no stickys, etc.

There's so much info on this site that there's too little room to have all the warez warnings, posting tips, suggestions to search, read guides, glossary etc. right on the page that most access first.

I didn't mean to call it "Hall of Shame" for real. :c) I mean more like: "Why your post may not have been answered". Adding links to "bad" post examples was the only way I could think to have it almost always be on the front page.

Unless..... there is a way to make a STICKY (locked) show up on that page?

Like I said above I'd hate for it to be cruel, mean or malicious. Anybody that knows me (much as they can) through here knows I'd hate that. :c)

But, patient as I am, I find myself shaking my head and sighing a lot! :cD
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I almost always put the sigh in my response. We need a real sigh emoticon to use
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too true! I use :c* for lack of a better one. Or :co when what they've asked is outlandish! :cD
    :co <--- that's kind of like "huh??? you wanna do what??!"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thing is Gees, a lot of people just think you have pressed the wrong keys on your keyboard.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doh! :cD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I'll make a little text file and put it on my dock. So I can just drag links out of it.

Yeah this was all bound to happen as prices of the burners continue to drop, and more and more kids get them in their brand new HPs and Dells.

Witness the transition to MAIN STREAM.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Thing is Gees, a lot of people just think you have pressed the wrong keys on your keyboard.

I gotta admit I had no idea what that meant - thought it was a cute face

I'm just glad no one got on me for all the typos I made recently
    The worst part of it was I used the Preview before submitting the posts, and didn't notice til it was too late.
    Wouldn't have been that bad if I only did it once, but now it's getting really embarrassing...'cause I normally don't make that many typos and I seem to be doing in every post around here
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rookie - don't feel badly. Sometimes it takes me 5 or 6 goes at editing before I get it right! :cO No lie. :cD

Right as I'm pressing "submit" I spot another one! You should hear me. "Arrrrgggghhh" Then Fred Flinstone-type curses: "Racker schmacker fracker!"

:cD
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Flaystus - I have a similar opinion/beef. From another thread, another "How do I put all my vhs to DVD. Tell me everything I need to know."

Originally Posted by Gees
    if you want to do it right, yourself, you will have to learn, and yes, some things will have a learning curve. If you don't want to deal with a learning curve, pay someone else to process your files.
    I wish more people would say that!

I see a real problem with all this advertising on programs telling people "Put All Your Home Movies on DVD!" People buy one box of software and believe the claim and think the box will do it all.

I've spent a year so far researching, testing, trial & error, learning to do this professionally. And a lot more than $200.00.

I try and encourage anyone to try and do it themselves. It can be fun and rewarding. :c)

But it's becoming really frustrating reading so many posts that ask to be told every step from start to finish the day they come home with the box - or new burner.

I wish the boxes said: "Put All Your Home Movies on DVD! Buy our software, take a few weeks off from work, send the kids to Grandma's. and prepare to do a lot of reading in every spare minute you have outside of eating and sleeping. And you too can have your videos on DVD!"

- rant concluded

:c)
    Quote Quote