VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. THe best thing about this is no copy protection........

But only VCD quality
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeh I still have mines... i ocasionally use it for vhs back up. I wish i used it more though but when i got my sony dvd burner, I kind of side line my terapin... I definitely will always keep it though... i also use it for home movies... people in my fraternity love to be able to down load videos of them acting crazy drunk!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm looking for one, are they even still for sale?? or just on ebay?
    You win some, and you lose some, and some get rained out...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ryanreko,

Last time I was at Micro Center, in Richardson, Texas; a few weeks ago.. .they had STACKS of the Terripin VCD Recorders for sale..but they were selling for 299 dollars.

So, I looked at the Micro Center Online website, yep, you can order 'em there...here's the link =

http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e.phtml?dropdown_method=keyword&dropdown_key...=22&submit.y=6

I do have a few problems with the Terapin VCD recorder.. yeah..it's good for what it does..records anything from any source..BUT...it only records in Mpeg 1 format, the ordinary 1150 bitrate...and. as we all know; simple VCD's can't handle action sequences at all well..

I've asked the people who manufacture the Terapin VCD recorder (thier nationwide distributer is located right here in North Texas).. they have NO PLANS to upgrade it so that it will also record in Mpeg 2 format..there is no way to apply firmware that will upgrade it.

But my major problem with the Terapin VCD recorder is that it applies it's own PROPRIATARY Headers to the vcd. In other words, ya CANNOT copy a vcd that's been made with a Terapin VCD recorder..

I have had to RE-Encode all of the VCD's that I've made with the Terapin VCD Recorder with TmpgEnc..just to get a different HEADER that will allow TmpgEnc, and VCDEasy and TmpgEnc DVD Author to RECOGNISE the video mpeg files.

One GOOD thing that the Terapin does is that it records videos in 320 x 480 resolution...which is DVD compatible resolution... :>) so ya CAN make DVD's outta the videos made with the Terapin VCD Recorder.. ya just gotta RE-Encode 'em first to get a proper HEADER that can be RECOGNISED by Tmpeg DVD Author.. or VCDEasy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My local Sam's Club has them on the shelves for $199. I would probably buy one if they were $99.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ......with the new recorders coming out in the future....you might get your wish 8) For $100 I might have some fun wid it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do the terapin's have a tuner and timer? If they have a timer how many events can they record? Thanks for any information?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jim15800

Nope..Terapins don't have a timer, and yes, it can record on an ordinary cd up to probably 78 minutes..BUT..you can stop recording..then resume recording on the same cd later..the Terapin goes into FINISH mode when you want it to..and closes the cd.

So, sure.. the Terapin can record multible events..but NOT with a timer.. ya gotta do it manually.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The Terapin would be better if:

1. It had a cable tv tuner
    2. It had timer programming
    3. It had an XVCD mode of around 1500K Video, 128K audio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Telemike,

I still have mine and have only used it a few times due to the quality it was below vhs quality.

I do not know if I got a bad machine or if I am expecting to much from this machine. I asked a few people on this and other forums to help me compare the quality of their machine vs my machine. However no one was willing to make a a few minutes of a dvd copy and send it to me.

There are other options that are rather in expensive a capture card or even a svcd recorder also found on ebay and usually have copy protection.

Just my 2 cents
    VCD4ME

P.S. If anyone is willing to send me a few minute copy of a dvd so I can compare I would be estatic, so I could finally figure out my year old problem. I of course am willing to pay for your expenses.Thanks
    We were all NEWBIES once and the only stupid question is the one that's not asked?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Comparing the Terapin to doing a comparable VCD using TMPGenc, you can use filters and otehr tricks to make a better looking VCD.

Using a software encoder like Intervideo WINDVR and Cyberlink PowerVCR...the Terapin is way better than the Cyberlink and still better than WINDVR at VCD resolution.

Having looked at some VHS->terapin and DVD-> Terapin discs I have made they are watchable and not too bad. The best looking is DVD->Terapin with fast motion causing some blockiness and there is less sharpness compared to DVD. Overall it is comparable to VHS between the 6 hour and 2 hour mode.

I gave up on doing DVD copies with the Terapin when I discovered DVD2SVCD and making SVCD discs.

I will still use the Terapin if I want a TV movie or VHS transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. this sounds like one of those vintage bits of kit that some people swear by, others swear at. I dont think anything like this was available in the uk, but I reckon even at $99 they sound like a waste. Was it shaped like a terapin? could it use 99min media?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    this sounds like one of those vintage bits of kit that some people swear by, others swear at. I dont think anything like this was available in the uk, but I reckon even at $99 they sound like a waste. Was it shaped like a terapin? could it use 99min media?
    Yep!!!
    I had one for acouple of years, would only take standard 74min. cd-r/rw's.
    sold mine right after picking up my panny dvd recorder, i feel if something is worth saving off tv, it's worth the quality of a dvd over a vcd any day & if i want it on a vcd, i'll just transfer it to my pc and burn it to a vcd
    And as far as all the stuff i have read about copy protection on the panny standalone dvd recorder, i have yet to see it although most of my transfers are from LD, some from tv/vhs, i have not had any problem with copy protection.
    Its kind of like going to best buy and purchasing a vhs when the dvd is setting right next to it
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have long since purchased a Sony DVD +/- writer, but I still use my Terapin on a regular basis. It's great for transferring less important VHS tapes when I want them on a disc of some kind with no hassle. Also, I have a portable Audiovox DVD player I watch on the road and the VCDs the Terapin produces are perfect for that (the Audiovox hates all manner of +R/-R anyway).
    Quote Quote  

15. At the time I bought it I paid $250 and DVD recorders were over $600.

The only really good thing is that it is using an MPEG-1 Winbond encoder chip (the best mpeg-1 chip) and does a good job at VCD....

VCD just happens to be better than SLP VHS but not as good as SP VHS.

Does a good job at recording audio CD's too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have the Malata SVCD/VCD revorder. I ordered a Terapin, but the production quality was so bad (the tray flap arrived broken) the store sent a Malata at no extra charge as a replacement because they had a slew of problems with them (they may be better now). The Malata quality is excellent for a capture device for both formats. I won't argue that someone who knows what they are doing using software couldn't get better quality, but not as quickly.

The only thing is that the VCDs get a slight lipsync problem. I can correct this using one of my cheaper DVD players that exhibits a slight sync problem in the opposite direction as the source, though. However, that eliminates any VCDs recorded from another source. The SVCD recordings are excellent though (at 37 and 40 minutes each). However, since I got a Panasonic DVD recorder, this has been collecting dust. I figure it would be good for a cheap "video letter" using my camcorder, but not much else for my needs.

A little more on topic, you would probably be better served getting a low-end Panasonic DVD recorder in the long run than getting one of these Terapins or Malatas (unless you really love VCDs).
    Quote Quote