VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I need to know how to uninstall version 0.0.8c completely, or is it safe to install new copies over the top, because i just want old unused files removed, to keep my computer clean, if u know what i mean...

any help on what i need to trash, thanx in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. To uninstall you just need to trash the application. The other components doesn't interfere with other applications and are automatically overwritten when a new version is installed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    What if the user decide not to install any newer version? and want to removed components older version has installed in the past? I too, want to keep my system clean. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is a nifty app called deinstaller which you can get off versiontracker.com or macupdate. Maybe that will work... though i have not tried it for ffmpegx.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I will add an Uninstall option to the installer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This program leaves what I would call a mess on the hard drive. From the system.log, you can see all the fun you get to unravel when you try to clean your system up:

COMMAND=/bin/sh -c sudo mkdir /usr/local/include && sudo cp '/Users/rayg/opt/bin/ffmpegX/mpeg2enc' /usr/bin/mpeg2enc (command continued)...

What really irritated me is that it gives you no warning of what it's about to do, prompts for an admin password in cleartext, installs the files, and even replaces the system pbcopy and pbpaste (command line clipboard utilities). Either these executables and libraries should be included as a .pkg, or they should be included in the application bundle (where they should stay).

I'd like to ask the author to post a list of all the files that the app changes or adds to the system, so that I can clean up anything else that may have been left behind.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rayg0920
    This program leaves what I would call a mess on the hard drive.
    What you call a mess, is a regular install of the Unix components. If you compile and install them yourself, you will get the same result.

Originally Posted by rayg0920
    What really irritated me is that it gives you no warning of what it's about to do,
    It says it is going to install the missing components.

prompts for an admin password in cleartext,
    The regular dialog with hidden password (used before) had an Apple bug for some users with specific international keyboard mappings. Their password was typed with a wrong mapping, and as it was hidden they were unable to see the typing error. I'll switch back as soon as the issue is fixed.

and even replaces the system pbcopy and pbpaste (command line clipboard utilities).
    If you have them already, it will not reinstall them.

Either these executables and libraries should be included as a .pkg,
    They were in a .pkg before, but users asked me to drop the .pkg installer, which can bring permission issues.

or they should be included in the application bundle (where they should stay).
    They can't. Downloaded binaries should better stay elsewhere, so as you don't have to reinstall them for each new version of ffmpegX. Unix libraries and mencoder components must be installed in appropriate locations.

I'd like to ask the author to post a list of all the files that the app changes or adds to the system
    The list is available in the About dialog, and in the Credits file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot drag and drop anything related to ffmpegx on my dock (mac. intel i3) anywhere. I would LOVE to put these things in the trash.
    Item #1: Progress bar for failed conversion.
    Item #2: Encode tool bar
    Item #3: "FF" icon in my dock

And the first two named don't even have an active red X to clear either.

LAME.

Get this off of and out of my computer.
    I just wanted to convert some files. Not take a college course in binary.

Please help.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brionbee View Post
    I cannot drag and drop anything related to ffmpegx on my dock (mac. intel i3) anywhere. I would LOVE to put these things in the trash.
    Try quitting applications (⌘Q) before removing them from the Dock. Active applications always show up in the Dock and thus can't be removed at that time. This goes for any app.

Originally Posted by brionbee
    Item #1: Progress bar
    Item #2: Encode tool bar
    Item #3: "FF" icon in my dock
    I think #2 and #3 are the same.
    Progress.app is a separate application within the application package of ffmpegX. If you decide to remove ffmpegX, Progress.app goes with it.

Originally Posted by brionbee
    LAME.
    LAME is a free software codec used to encode/compress audio into the lossy MP3 file format. Following the great history of GNU naming, LAME originally stood for “LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder”.
    Quote Quote