VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 5 mpeg files in PAL DVD resolution (720 x 576, 25 fps, 8Mb CBR) that I need to play back sequentially. I am using the TV output from my ATI AIW Radeon 7500 into a video recorder to turn these 5 files into a 3 hour tape. I have tried creating a playlist and using the standard Windows Media Player that comes with Win XP Pro, but there is a pause between one file finishing and the next one starting. It isn't a long pause, maybe half a second, but during the pause the output shows a quick flash of my desktop image.

I can get around it by maximising the video image on the monitor but if I do that, I can't do anything else while I am recording the video. This wouldn't be a problem if I only wanted one copy of the tape, but I need 30+ copies!

I have done this previously using the original version of Creative Media Player that came with an old Soundblaster 1024 soundcard, but as I now have a later soundcard, I've got Media Player 2 which won't play video files.

Is there a software player that will play these files sequentially, either with no pause between one file and the next? Or a player that will output a black screen during any pause (all files fade to and from black at each end)?

Incidentally, I've got a full version of PowerDVD which came with one bit of hardware or another, but have never loaded it as I don't use the pc to play DVDs. Would this be capable of doing the job?

Thanks in advance.

Richard
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do they all have the same stats ? if so why do you not join them in tmpgenc.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hardcoreruss
    Do they all have the same stats ? if so why do you not join them in tmpgenc.
    Damn good idea, why didn't I think of that? That is exactly what I have just done and am outputting to tape as I type this (I'm also archiving the original 5 files to DVD-R too). The main reason I didn't think of it is that the last time I did one of these big jobs I had FAT 32 format drives so had to keep each file size down (the last lot had 3 hours as 10 sequential mpg files!). Now I've gone over to NTFS, it isn't a problem anymore.

The files incidentally are two performances of a two act show at a local theatre. It was shot with three miniDV cameras from different angles and the whole lot then synchronised and edited. The 5 files were one of each act and the fifth being the rolling credits to go on the end. As I'd edited an act at a time and saved each finished one as a separate file, it simply didn't occur to me to lump them all together.

Thanks for the advice.

Richard
    Quote Quote