VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I want to bitset on my + or +/- or +/-,Ram burner

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,

A simple Yes/No poll.

As a result of many questions regarding bit-setting on Dual and Dual/Ram and newer Plus burners.

If you don't understand what bit-setting is then do a serach here and elsewhere on it's application and use.

No wars here about correctness or otherwise, just would like to see how many would really like the option. No +/- fighting either. Add your reasons for voting as you see fit.

Regards
    Studebarc 8)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Although all of the DVD players that I have tried played DVD+R/RW (without changing the book type to DVD-ROM), I still would like to have the option to do so. But my NEC 1100 does not allow me to.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Gil T Pleasure

Your Nec ND 1100 writes DVD-ROM booktype on DVD+R by default

Get a media info with DVDInfoPRO (not on blank disc!)
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I would like to be able to change the bit setting on my Sony DRU-120A. So far, Sony's firmware hasn't allowed this. I hope they do in future firmware upgrades. I think all DVD burners should support this.

My sony is made by Ricoh. I wonder if anyone that has a sony burner like mine tried a ricoh firmware on it?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Read my guide in the Guides section

I used to have a Memorex, now I call it a Ricoh 5125
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks man, I'll have to try it out. I thought that it would work, but didn't want to try it unless someone else allready had success with it.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tompika

I have the NEC-1300a v1.05.

The information on these upgrades is rather flimsy. Is there anything that explains what is gained by applying each firmware upgrade. It would sure make it easier to take a risk if the benefits are clearly explained.

A couple of years ago, I successfully applied a firmware upgrade to my standalone Apex ad700 because it allowed me to use RW discs. That alone was well worth any risk.

In this case changing the book type on the nec-1300a might allow me to play DVD +-RW on my other apex ad600 (no firmware upgrade on this unit) since I read on another site that it will read them with a book type of DVD-rom.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No dual drive support bitsetting at the moment
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tompika,

Hey I followed your Giude to convert Sony DRU-120 to a Ricoh MP5125. It worked great. I now have a DVD burner that I can change bit settings.

One of the reasons that I wanted to change to DVD-ROM, is that I have backup data on a DVD+RW. The DVD+RW won't play on my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212. The only way I could view the data was with my burner. I figured that if I could change the bitsetting to DVD-ROM, than my Toshiba could read it.

Well anyway I changed the bitsetting to DVD-ROM using DVDINFO2 easy enough. The problem is the Toshiba still won't play it.

Bummer.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    racer-x,

Reflectivity of the disc may well be the issue. Try another brand of +RW...I suggest Ricoh +RW or Verbatim +RW. It is a known issue for some media to not be reflective enough for some pick-ups regardless of Bit-set. The ROM setting with good media MAY see the problem gone.

Regards
    Studebarc
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hey racer-x!

1. Have you tried -R booktype on that rewritable?
    Nic has a Toshiba that wont play +RW as anything except a -R.

2. You might want to try to put the data back to your HDD and burn it again with the new firmware and try every booktype available with DVDInfoPRO

Whats the media-code of that disc? Isn't it Optodisc, Sentinel or Prodisc?
    Forget about it!

I have used RICOHJPNW01(Memorex), PHILIPS010(Philips)
    some of them rewritten more than 100 times, no problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips guys. I used a Verbatim +RW. My Toshiba will read +Rs w/no trouble, but gags on +RWs.

I will try the -R trick, if that doesn't work, then I'll erase and start fresh. Since my data DVD+RW has my Ghost images and I want it bootable, I will use Nero with DVD-ROM booktype.

I also have Fuji DVD+RW w/ media code RICOHJPNW01. If the above doesn't work, than I could also try those.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by tompika
    Your Nec ND 1100 writes DVD-ROM booktype on DVD+R by default
    My burner writes DVD+R as DVD+R. I suppose I can flash it with the HP firmware, but like I said earlier the DVD players I tried have played the discs with no problem. If I come across a DVD player that won't play either DVD+R/RW, then I'll give the HP firmware a try. I guess I'm a firm believer of the adage: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." :P
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi Gil T Pleasure!

I asked Poppa_Meth to post a media info of his burned medias and it shows that his Nec1100 does write ROM booktype by default.

Soon I found this drive can also be OEM Iodata or Dell so its not that strange what you're saying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey tompika

After much experimentation, this is what I've found. I tried every trick I could think of for the Verbatim DVD+RW (medtia code - MCC AO1). Nothing worked as far as playing on my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive.

Next up, Fuji DVD+RW. When I changed the booktype to DVD-ROM, my Toshiba was able to read it. The Fuji media code was RICOHJPNWO1. I guess my Toshiba likes the fujis. Now I have a bootable DVD+RW that I can use in either drive........Cool.

Here's something that I don't get. When I burn the disk with Nero using the DVD-ROM booktype, it still burns it as DVD+RW. I have to go back and change it from DVD+RW to DVD-ROM, but it works after that. I also tried to set the booktype to DVD-ROM before burning with Nero or RecordNow Max for that matter, but they always burn as DVD+RW. I haven't tried a DVD+R yet, so I don't know what that will do.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Looks like the CMC Verbatim+RW has better reflectivity than the MCC ones
    (as the media reviews show too)

Stick with RICOHJPN medias (like the FUJI+RW you use)
    Try to get RICOHJPNR +R discs to burn. Most of them are
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=&dvdmediadvdridsearch=ricohjpnr

Sounds like you forgot to change the DEFAULT settings in DVDInfoPRO !
    Setting current disc only is not enough!

Although Nero overrides the default booktype settings there is an option to change it.

RecordNow does not touch the booktype settings so you should be fine
    if the DEFAULT is set to ROM with DVDInfo PRO !

Hope it helps.
    Get back as you try it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey tompika, here's something interesting for you:

Notice that the "set defaults" for +R and +RW are greyed out and wont let me change them. I used the region free frmware v1.64 you recomended. I wonder if it's got errors or something. This may be why when I set the booktype to DVD-ROM in nero, it doesn't work. I have to change it after I burn. Ofcourse this will only work for RWs.

If I wanted to flash this drive again, could I use the standard procedure with the Ricoh FW, or would I have to use the same (fake reverse) that I used to make my Sony a Ricoh? I'm not planing on reflashing my drive just yet. Right now I'm batting 1000 on my DVD Videos compatability using Premiere > Main Concept > DVD-Lab > Besweet AC3 > RecordNow Max > Fuji DVD+R disks.

Thanks for all your help and thanks for that great guide!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    racer-x,
    Do you have any form of DLA or Packet writing software installed and running?....If so I suspect this is ballsing up your options. Disable or Uninstall DLA software and try again.... DO not burn with Nero as it overwrites the settings made in infoPro...use RNM or other and try again.

Regards
    Studebarc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    StudeBarc

No, I don't have any DLA or packet writing installed or running. I only use Nero and RecordNow Max. Like I said, I can not set the default booktype, it is greyed out and wont let me set it.

The reason I used Nero, is because I wanted to make it bootable. RecordNow Max won't allow this for DVD. I only use RecordNow Max for my Video-DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi, racer-x!

Your drive is now a Ricoh MP5125a and accepts the Ricoh FW with no trick required.
    I don't think you should re-flash it, the problem must be something else.

I'll try to contact NicW he might find out what it is.

Do you wanna try re-installing the drive or setting up different way?
    Are you sure that Nero's InCD is not installed?
    Are you able to get media info on blank media with the new firmware?

PS: Is that you on the new avatar?
    Quote Quote  
  22. The only way those settings can be ghosted is if the current settings commands failed. Either the bios loaded into the burner is not an official firmware that supports the commands, the hardware required to pefform such is not the same, or packet writing software or similar is intercepting commands to this type of media.

I have seen this happen when such things as DLA, InCD, DirectCD or similar is installed.

I recommend placing the burner into another computer that has no burning software installed at all to show if the fault is in the burner or in the software installed.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  23. That rpc1 1.64 FW from firmware-flash.com should support it as it does on my drive and it did on Bitrater's Sony120.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey tompika,
    Yes, that's me on my new avatar and also my old avatar.
    Yes I can get media info from blank DVD+R.

No I don't have InCD or DirectCD installed. This is what Nero stuff is on my PC:

This is a screenshot of RegCleaner's installed program list.

Since I duall-boot 98se and XP Pro, I tried DVD-INFO PRO on my 98se system. I only have Nero as burning software. The same results, it will only let change current +RW disk and not default. This is why I'm thinking it maybe the firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  25. That firmware should be fine.

I just mailed a guy who flashed his Sony120 with Ricoh FW.

I'll inform you ASAP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey tompika,

My drive is reporting as Ricoh MP5125 not Ricoh MP5125a.
    I'm assuming that the "a" stands for America and since the drive is now region free, it no longer has the "a" at the end.

Is this correct?
    Is this what your's displays?

Just curious, as I know next to nothing about this sort of thing.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by racer-x
    Is this correct?
    No, they are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  28. You can try to flash the original FW (no trick necessary) but I doubt it'll help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty happy for now, as I only wanted my DVD+RW to be read by both drives.

Like I said, I'm batting 1000 as far as my Video - DVD+Rs being compatable with DVD players. Ofcourse that could always change.

I'm currently working on a Team DVD for my son's Football Season. After all the game highlights are edited, I'm going to compile a nice DVD for the Football Team. I will probably distribute at least 50 of them, so there is always a chance of compatability problems.

If I get any Problems, then I'm gonna try the standard F/W to see if I can burn a DVD-ROM out of a DVD+R.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  30. You're welcome.
    And you can get blank media info too...
    Anyway, I'll inform you as soon as I get any useful info.

PS This is the avatar that rocks!
    Quote Quote