VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I want to bitset on my + or +/- or +/-,Ram burner

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tompika,

Another happy DVDite convinced of the benefits of Bit-setting to +R today. Using an older Toshiba SD2108 player he couldn't work out why a Philips Recorder made disc would play in his machine where no other -R or +R disc would. Unfortunately his detection method for Book-Type included a Pioneer A06 burner. Alas this burner does NOT detect "Book-Type" correctly and reports Disc-Type in the Book-type field ie any +R media regardless of Book-Type is reported as +R. He was bemused and obviously discontented when advised of this anomoly. I assured him of the playability of a +R as ROM disc and sent one off to him. One more happy camper. How "bullet-proof" this burn style remains to be seen but from all I can gather on GOOD +R media and Bit-set to DVD-Rom it's a never-fail. Your experiences appreciated.

Regards
    Studebarc
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks like 2 people said no to bitsetting. I wonder why they voted no.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    It looks like 2 people said no to bitsetting. I wonder why they voted no.
    They just can't accept the fact that a plus disc can be more compatible than a dash one?
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sure like to be able to try it on my Sony 510a to see if I could play the +RW's in my 3109 Toshiba. My cheapy DVD plays anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by racer-x
    tompika,

Hey I followed your Giude to convert Sony DRU-120 to a Ricoh MP5125. It worked great. I now have a DVD burner that I can change bit settings.

One of the reasons that I wanted to change to DVD-ROM, is that I have backup data on a DVD+RW. The DVD+RW won't play on my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212. The only way I could view the data was with my burner. I figured that if I could change the bitsetting to DVD-ROM, than my Toshiba could read it.

Well anyway I changed the bitsetting to DVD-ROM using DVDINFO2 easy enough. The problem is the Toshiba still won't play it.

Bummer.
    I had problems getting DVD+RW/+R/-RW/-R data or video DVD's to work on my Toshiba SD-M1612. I simply updated the firmware ( http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=1&manufactor=31 ) to the latest version and the DVD-ROM drive will read anything I throw at it! In fact I used the hacked firmware that make the drive Region Free and does some other stuff as well!
    Quote Quote  
  6. fslove, be aware that the Sony120 is an oem Ricoh drive but yours is a Sony500.

BTW if you read the other posts of racer-x he switched to another +RW media that solved his problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. BenQ has now released a bitset/book type tool for the DW400A (also sold as Ultra for $99 @tigerdirect for a couple of weeks ago): Download here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Finally! BenQ bitsetter utility

Thanks -jsl-
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by tompika
    fslove, be aware that the Sony120 is an oem Ricoh drive but yours is a Sony500.

BTW if you read the other posts of racer-x he switched to another +RW media that solved his problem.
    I was talking about updating the firmware on the Toshiba DVD-ROM NOT the DVD burner. The updated firmware on the Toshiba DVD-ROM is what corrected the inability of the burned DVD's to play on my Toshiba DVD-ROM.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry, my fault.

But he changed the media so it reads now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. why would anyone not want butsetting capabilitys?. 8)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    why would anyone not want butsetting capabilitys?. 8)
    I don't. I want bitsettings capabilities....
    Quote Quote  
  13. stop being so anally retentive
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  14. As long as manufacturers do not make their players read DVD+R(W) as it is -
    we need bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by RabidDog
    why would anyone not want butsetting capabilitys?. 8)
    Probably a case of need or not needed. If some users are not having any problems with any media or players and dont share discs with others who have problems, then they may not see the need, then add in those users who simply don't know or won't read and there's your 10%

P.S.

I would like to know why the DRU-120 flashed as a 5125a is not working with all bitsetting in my program.

I can categorcially state that a "real" 5125a and a 5240a both work fine in all regards, so there is some difference with your DRU-120 flashed as a 5125a. Others have done this same mod to their 120's and are working fine. There must be something different about your system, burner or firmware that prevents this. Nero enables its box by Drive ID only, it does not first test the functions as my program does. Email me directly and I can work with you to sort this out if you are interested.

cheers
    NicW
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to PM you, but I think the message got lost.

Anyway, I didn't use the standard Ricoh 5125a F\W. I used the region-free Ricoh 5125a F\W. This could be the problem.

For some reason, DVDInfo won't let me set default bitsetting for any media. It will let me set for current DVD+RW only, and so will Nero.

For my DVD+Rs, DVDInfo won't let me change anything. Nero will let me make them DVD-ROMs when I select the box.

I appreciate your concern, thanks.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried a special test version of DVDInfo that nicw created to solve the problem of my options ghosting and not letting me change my default booktype.

I'm happy to report that the new version worked like a charm. There is no more ghosting the options and I'm able to set DVD+R default to DVD-ROM. Whatever he changed, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for all the help
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,

Currently the burner manufacturing fraternity is fairly set in the attitudes toward the "bit-setting" issue.

Plus only burners including:

Ricoh MP5240
    BenQ DW400a
    NEC ND 1100

(and clones) are bit-setting capable units. To what extent they offer changes is up to them; but all can provide a written +R/RW disc as DVD-Rom.

The Dual burner manufacturing section does not prescribe to the use of "bit-setting" to +R/RW. What politics/internal arrangements are in place is unknown. NEC who do produce +RW as well as Dual burners will not be entertaining bit-setting to duals.

Whether the newer 8x +R/RW only burners (due soon from BenQ and NEC, not sure about Ricoh?) will still support bit-setting remains to be seen.

Please feel free to provide any updates on Bit-Setting allowances/announcements/insider gossip in burners to this thread.

Cheers and Regards
    Studebarc.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I want to be able to do this on my NEC 1300a. Unfortunately, it burns a +R as +R rather than DVD-Rom and my Philips 710 player will have none of it. Which is odd because it plays +RWs no problem at all.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by VCDWotcha
    I want to be able to do this on my NEC 1300a. Unfortunately, it burns a +R as +R rather than DVD-Rom and my Philips 710 player will have none of it. Which is odd because it plays +RWs no problem at all.
    Originally Posted by Herrie
    The only solution for now is flashing back to 1100A or HP300i firmware
    But why would you do that.

I just helped to install a NEC1300A for a friend, flashed to 1.08 and burned a couple of RitekG04 DVD-Rs and PackardBell DVD+RWs.
    They play well, I'm satisfied
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you have to change this bit setting anyway? If it was a problem for the recorder wouldn't that mean there is a problem with the media for that recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by videobruce
    Why would you have to change this bit setting anyway? If it was a problem for the recorder wouldn't that mean there is a problem with the media for that recorder?

"Some players report a disc error when a disc is loaded that is not marked as a "DVD-ROM" or "DVD-R/W" disc in the compatibility bits. Ususally, these players are physically able to read the disc (since DVD+RW reflectivity is identical to that of a dual layered DVD-Video disc, which all players must be capable of reading), but their compatibility problems are due to different interpretations of these bits in the various firmware versions. In most cases, the problem can be solved by updating the firmware.

When a firmware fix is unavailable, or when you want to increase changes of playability when you give the disc to others with an unknown player, you could solve the issue by marking the DVD+R or DVD+RW disc as a DVD-ROM disc."
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,

Nu-Tech DDW-061 and DDW-081 are using a bitsetting utility for setting of book-type. This appears to be a default style bit-setter. So another 2 "+" drives with bit-setting abilities:

Regards
    Studebarc
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by tompika
    Originally Posted by VCDWotcha
    I want to be able to do this on my NEC 1300a. Unfortunately, it burns a +R as +R rather than DVD-Rom and my Philips 710 player will have none of it. Which is odd because it plays +RWs no problem at all.
    Originally Posted by Herrie
    The only solution for now is flashing back to 1100A or HP300i firmware
    But why would you do that.

I just helped to install a NEC1300A for a friend, flashed to 1.08 and burned a couple of RitekG04 DVD-Rs and PackardBell DVD+RWs.
    They play well, I'm satisfied
    The problem is I have a stack of +Rs which are effectively not usable. But Maybe I should admit defeat on this one.

Where did you get that herrie quote from ? is it really possible to flash a 1300a back to an 1100a and ? would it then write them properly ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by VCDWotcha
    Where did you get that herrie quote from ?
    I emailed him.

is it really possible to flash a 1300a back to an 1100a and ? would it then write them properly ?
    Ask him. herrie@rpc1.org
    I wouldn't flash it back though...
    Quote Quote  
  26. It looks like BronkowTech45 over at the firmware page has succesfully hacked the ND-1300A firmware to burn DVD+R with DVD-ROM book type, check here for more info.
    Quote Quote  
  27. F**k me, thats good news!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,

nu Tech New DDW 061 & 081 drives are supported for bit-setting in DVDInfoPro and by stand alone bit-setter from QSI.

Thanks to NicW for his efforts in conjunction with QSI and nu Tech.

I have written a few DVD +R discs with the 081 and settings to ROM work fine. RICOHJPNR01 and MCC 02 discs write at 8x, without issues, even though they are 4x rated discs.

Regards
    Studebarc
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm curious.. how many of you leave the bitsetting flag to DVD-ROM by default? how many of you apply the bitsetting only when a DVD player won't play the disc?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Yes, of course! I've been struggling with a way to make my Apex recognize something besides RW,either format.( My Sylvania plays anything.) Trying various media hasn't worked. While my IC 7.1 has a DVD-ROM setting, DVDinfo tells me my writer (I/O Magic 4xDual Format) does not have that write capability, so I'm reluctant to try it and end up with a coaster.

I sent I/O Magic Support an email asking if a firmware update allowing DVD-ROM burning is possible for this writer, and if so, whether they have any plans to issue one. No reply yet.

Reading between the lines, I presume changing book type is possible only with the plus format? Please pardon my ignorance, any comments would be appreciated.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote