VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. According to imdb.com, Disney is test marketing their disposables in four cities today. With a suggested retail price of $6.99, it appears as if management at the Mouse House has been ingesting some rather forminable fungi (known to have halluncenigenic qualities) if they believe this will be anything that will appeal to anybody.

Those of you in Austin, Peoria, Charleston and Kansas City can help the matter along by boycotting those establishments foolish enough to carry these.
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Considering that you can rent a movie from Hollywood or Blockbuster for about $4 (even less from Netflix) I think a $6.99 desposable will provide it's own boycott.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2x the price for 1/2 the life.

I can rent a new movie right now for $2.50 and I get it for 5 days at a local movie store. When I'm done, I return it and I don't create waste that I have to throw away. This idea should never have gotten out of the idea phase.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I has been said that old Walt himself was into Opium. Maybe
    it's contagious
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed you said Austin. I spoze that means Texas.
    I happen to be sitting in Austin as we speak. I want to
    go get one and check it out (how well it reads in a dvdrom)
    and how long it lasts.
    I wonder what stores ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It says "convenience stations, gas stations, drug stores and toy stores."

You can probably find it somewhere if you really want (but don't encourage them!)
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hope this works out as well as Circuit City's Dudx, oops I mean Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to avoid encouraging them, I'll just shoplift one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hmmm, $7 for two days... Or local best buy $10 for a real one that lasts me forever.... tough choice
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if you copy one, do you get to keep the copy as long as you own the original, no matter if the original no longer plays?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Strange that they chose locations that are not typically test markets, and are in fact not media markets of any real size, in terms of testing.

I'd think Austin was in Texas, I'm not even aware of an Austin in another state, at least not in a size that is worth noticing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll just open one, back it up, close it again, in a nitrogen atmosphere,
    and i'll be legal.

And of cousre I'll report the gory details.
    Quote Quote  
  13. This will turn out to be a big fat painful belly flop!
    "Terminated!" :firing:
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here we go AGAIN. Didn't they learn anything from Circuit City and Divx? Remember Divx? At least with Divx you could actually purchase a permament copy if you wanted to. Idiotic idea from the most evil company on Earth, Disney.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    I just noticed you said Austin. I spoze that means Texas.
    I happen to be sitting in Austin as we speak. I want to
    go get one and check it out (how well it reads in a dvdrom)
    and how long it lasts.
    I wonder what stores ?
    Please get one and let us know about backing it up etc.
    I'm interested in knowing as I am sure many other people are too.
    I'd just buy one myself for a test but I don't live in one of the LUCKY (hehehe) cities.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Strange that they chose locations that are not typically test markets, and are in fact not media markets of any real size, in terms of testing.

I'd think Austin was in Texas, I'm not even aware of an Austin in another state, at least not in a size that is worth noticing.
    lordsmurf, maybe you've been away from Austin for too long (as have I). When I lived there, it had pop. ~350-400k. Now it's about 1.2 million. That, plus it's got IBM, Apple, Intel, Motorola, AMD and other regional or national headquarters--I think it's a big enough test market.

Back on topic, I can't remember what it is vulnerable to oxygen or light. Anyone? Maybe FOO could try to put the computer/DVDburner in a light-tight closet during backing-up to see how long it might otherwise last...

Keep us posted!
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What Motorola ?
    You mean all the unemployed EX motorola maybe.
    All they have to do is watch DVDs if they haven't hocked their
    players yet.

I'l run down to the convenience store and see how many they have.

I have heard the trick is some kind of iron which oxidizes. My neighbor
    is a chemistry nut with Samsung and AMD I'l go harass him.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a Worst Buy across the highway. I'l go over there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FOO, do you have one of the scratch repair devices? I'm just curious how far down the discolored part will go.

Too bad the are $7. If they were cheaper, it would be easier to test them!
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  20. This is a stupid idea because I can rent certain new titles for $.99 a day at Blockbuster.Another reason this won't work is certain idiots in society will buy a disk,watch it for two days and return it saying it is defective...and of course the store will gladly exchange the disk until all the stock is gone.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I think some may want to know which establishments will be participating, so here's a snip from the article with the link. It seems the "idea" is to provide other stores as competitors to rental video stores. Means an extra source of income for them and competition for Blockbuster.

The advantage to the disposable DVD format known as EZ-D is that such discs can be sold anywhere and never need to be returned, potentially making any retailer a competitor with Blockbuster Inc.

It should be aisle two, bread, aisle 4, EZ-D,said Flexplays Blaustein, who predicted families would continue to rent videos and start buying the disposable DVDs as well.

Stores in Austin, Texas; Peoria/Bloomington, Illinois; Charleston, South Carolina; and Kansas City, Missouri will begin stocking the disposable DVDs including titles such as Signs and The Recruit.

Toys R Us, Phillips 66, Circle K, CVS and Walgreens are some of the chains participating. A full list is at http://www.ez-d.com.

For the entire article, http://www.msnbc.com/news/963640.asp#BODY
    Quote Quote  
  22. so these things are good for years until you open the packet? 8)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.ez-d.com, while an actual website, does not yet have anything on it about these disks. Apparently the folks at msnbc.com did not check this before putting it in their article.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another interesting quote from the article:

"Although the disposable DVD format does not make it harder for digital pirates to make illegal copies, Blaustein said by making DVDs cheaper the effort would also undercut the incentive to make such bootleg copies."

Oh yeah, if I were a pirate, I would *much* rather own a disposable DVD for 2 days than own a copy forever.

My local Wal-Mart already has a couple of big wire bins where they throw their older, slower-selling DVDs and sell them for something like $5.88 to $11.88 or so, and THEY DON'T BECOME UNREADABLE AFTER 48 HOURS! Considering the cost of most recordable DVD media and rental cost, it would be almost not worth it to rent and record one of these movies, especially the cheaper ones.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I feel like a complete fool, but I now have in my posession
    one of the aforementioned items.

What next ? How about spraying it with thin transparent
    acrylic spraypaint ? Probably screw up the DVD drive.

OK how about putting it in the freezer ? Under water ?
    Under oil ?

I guess I'll just read it every few hours and see how long it lasts

Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    OK I feel like a complete fool, but I now have in my posession
    one of the aforementioned items.

What next ? How about spraying it with thin transparent
    acrylic spraypaint ? Probably screw up the DVD drive.

OK how about putting it in the freezer ? Under water ?
    Under oil ?

I guess I'll just read it every few hours and see how long it lasts

haha..put it in the microwave and nuke it at full power
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damned thing is bright red !
    Has expiration date of 1 year from now.
    Reads good.
    "To recycle put in stamped envelope and send to blah blah"

This brings up a question. This disc mine. Is it illegal to copy it ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you can only have a backup as long as the original is functioning and in your possession. You'll still have the original but it'll be nonfunctioning. If what I've read and heard is true legally you can't have a backup of this once the original is unplayable...so I dunno. This might be a weird situation. You know, sort of like how you're legally entitled to own a backup, but circumventing copyright protections isn't legal. I'd say back it up though, it is legally your disc. I'm sure soon enough details on copyrights and backups of these EZ-D discs will be made clear, its just too new to be certain IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DeleriumMDK
    I think you can only have a backup as long as the original is functioning.
    So then whats the point of a backup? A backup, by definition, is made incase the original becomes un-usable...
    "Terminated!" :firing:
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you can only have a backup as long as the original is functioning and in your possession. You'll still have the original but it'll be nonfunctioning. If what I've read and heard is true legally you can't have a backup of this once the original is unplayable.

That would sort of defeat the whole point of making a backup- the reasonf or "backup" is so that you don't lose it if the original is damaged?
    Quote Quote