VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I keep getting this error:

Code:
    Run again the installer and make sure it is running on your primary hard disk and you're entering the correct OSX login password
    I am running it on the only partition I have. The password i am entering is also correct. I mounted the image and copied the files into a folder and ran the installer from there just to make sure that wasnt the problem. I also tried rebooting. No luck.[/code]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest
    i got the same problem...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately, I can only fix this problem if I can also replicate it on my computer. To do so, I would need as much detail as possible on your disk name, path names, osx version, login account type (is it an administrator account?). Please email such information at major4@mac.com and I'll do my best to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    same here. nothing has changed in my setup since installing the last 0.0.7 build.
    we could try to install the 3 files via terminal scripts, given major would provide us with the needed lines or scripts.
    . .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately, the installer installs more items than just the 3 located binaries, so it would be very difficult to give instructions to install with Terminal.

I think it's important to find out why the installers has issues for some users. The vast majority of users doesn't experience any problems. I would guess that a spinning ball or "Installation was not successful" error is due to installer not being able to register with admin privileges.

Normally these conditions should be met:

- logging OSX with an admin account
    - running from a read/write partition
    - no special characters in the path and drive name
    - typing the right password

I noticed that some versions of OSX may in rare situations use a wrong keyboard map in password dialogs. Eg. if you type your password with a german keyboard mapping, the blind password field can sometimes switch to an english keyboard mapping. So it could be worth trying changing the account password to something very easy and matching all keyboards, like "iii". This is only a guess though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    right. keyboard mapping was the cause of my problem.

thanks major, we appreciate it.
    . .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wacky
    I tried the simple password to bypass the keyboard layout problem.
    But no succes here.

I tried almost everthing else, even activation the root user.

Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guest
    Sup major, i figured out why my installer wasn't working, it was due to the fact i didn't have an administrator password, when i fixed my account up with a password, and had a go at reinstalling ffmpegx it suprisingly worked...could be the problem for others, peace

(i tried it twice after adding password, the first time it didn't work but second success.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Wacky
    Ok I got it working

- Renamed the copied diskimage to just "ffmpegX"
    - copied the 3 components to the same folder as the installer

now it works...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Guest
    Could you be clearer, which files did u rename ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Guest
    looks like the author doesn't care. who would ever consider buying a product the author won't/ does not know how to support it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Guest
    Originally Posted by Guest
    looks like the author doesn't care. who would ever consider buying a product the author won't/ does not know how to support it?
    I agree. I considered buying a copy, but then they release this garbage and i am taking my money elsewhere now. How hard is it to make a working installer?
    Quote Quote  
  13. w00tw00tinBeiruit
    The installer does not work for me either. Why does the author not care?
    Quote Quote  
  14. w00tw00tinBeiruit
    I'm gonna make my own software called ffpmeg and it's going to be better because it has fewer letters.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm aware the installer having some issues in rare cases. Please read my two previous answers in this post.

The function which doesn't work in some situations is a very simple one, that is, registering with admin privilegs so as to copy the binaries in /usr/bin. This function is handled directly by OSX.

You should make sure the following:

- the installer must run from your desktop, not from the mounted dmg image
    - your disk name and user name should not contain special characters
    - your login account must be an admin account

In addition, it has been verified that sometimes OSX forces an english keyboard mapping in a password field. So if you have a non-english keyboard and type "a", it could get entered as "q" or something depending on the mapping. Try to type the password with an english mapping.

I understand that when something doesn't work properly it can be cause of stress. This problem never occurred on my machine, so your reports should be as precise as possible, and I'll fix every bug as soon as it is spotted and as long as it can be reproduced.
    Quote Quote  
  16. greenscreen!
    Throw away the ffmpegX installer.plist from your home library, log out and back in and run the installer again. Fixed the problem for me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ffmpegX 0.0.8c has new installer procedures. The main installer package can run directly from the dmg mounted image and will install everything but the 3 binaries you should download (mpeg2enc, mencoder and mplayer). For installing these, there is a new Engines installer application which will work fine for the majority of users.

If you still have issues and get the "Installation not successful" message, you can use Terminal as an alternate mean to copy mpeg2enc, mencoder and mplayer into the /usr/bin directory.

The command lines to use in Terminal are (assuming you have downloaded mpeg2enc, mencoder and mplayer on the desktop, and your username is "username"):

Code:
    sudo cp /Users/username/Desktop/mpeg2enc /usr/bin/mpeg2enc
    sudo cp /Users/username/Desktop/mencoder /usr/bin/mencoder
    sudo cp /Users/username/Desktop/mplayer /usr/bin/mplayer
    You should then set permissions to executable with these commands:

Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mpeg2enc
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mencoder
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mplayer
    Quote Quote  
  18. Guest
    hey i finally got the engines installer to well ... install, but now when I try to install the "ffmpegX_installer.mpkg" I get passed the password screen, which I changed to install the engines, I click continue and then when it gets to the screen where you choose which partition, the only partitio has a red exclimation mark and says "You cannot install this software on this disk. (null)" what the hell is wrong now, and i have tried to install other programs and they have no problem
    Quote Quote  
  19. Guest
    same as guest as above: i installed every .pkg except "ffmpegX_components.pkg" which still has the red ! in a stop sign on my HD. i assume the .mpkg is a multiple package installer and at the "ffmpegX_components.pkg" is where the problem is... any suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  20. ped
    yep, same problem - even copied all the installer files across to my desktop and I still get the NULL error.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Guest
    figured it out - when you get the CANNOT INSTALL error, just hit BACK then CONTINUE.

running the installer from the img file at the base directory of my primary drive, it works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Guest
    thank you but why so much difficulty
    Quote Quote  
  23. Adams
    The hit back and then continu worked for me too !
    Quote Quote