VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Presto, ddlooping

Although recordable DVDs are advertised as 4.7G, this does not equate to 4,700 MBytes. Don't forget, that there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte - not 1000. This is why the capacity of a recordable DVD is 4.7 billion bytes or actually 4.37 GB. DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs have the same capacity.

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  2. I set DVD shrink (or DVD2one or whatever Im using ) to 4200 MB, coz DVD-Rs sometimes have probs right at the edges. I hope vesterlee finds his answer although Im sure he would of got help quicker if he actually replied to questions instead of asking more (often irelevant ones).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Haven't you guys ever heard size doesn't matter

I opened a 3 hr Movie in DVDshrink, used the defaults and got DVD files that fit a DVD r. I am using DVDShrink3 beta 5 for this. I use version 2.3
    for my first rip, but I don't recall now exactly how it worked for sizing. I think I set my own manually. I Highly recomend you try Beta 5 as mentioned earlier in this thread. It's a small download, even at my connect speed of only 3k or less it was fast.

I love these programs that work great without installing into Windows! If you don't like it just delete it, no windows hassles! And you can run two verisons too! Just unzip into different folders! Then choose the version you want to use.

I don't know why size 3.9 is availbale for a setting, maybe it's a default for those of us that don't like to write all the way to the edge of a disk?
    Normally I am doing captures instead of ripping, I try to go for about 4gigs. Although I never had problems yet when I write a full disk, but with all the talk about problems near the edge I try to stay back alittle for a saftey margin. When I do write a full disk they work fine though. But I
    figure it is better to lose that little space than to chance a trashed disk.
    Unless I have to have that extra space for alot better quality.

I mean if it don't work then I am out a disk, an hour burn time, and my files have to be resized agian (more time). So I just waist a little space to be safe normally! I may try setting Shrink to make smaller file latter also and see what happens. But the defaults are working great for me so far with my disks.
    I have a toshiba SD5002 burner and my disks are cheap 1x white top, purple bottom. I think I bought princos, but haven't checked Id on them and no labels on the beehive.

I just bought Two Towers last night. I am backing it up now.
    179minute movie acording to the case cover. Just opened Shrink, clicked open disk, it read the disk and automatically showed a compressed file size that fits a DVD R. Clicked backup, browsed to the directory I wanted it saved in. It is creating the backup now.

I'll know in about an hour or more if it also worked.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I know about DVDShrink, the size given for the various compression levels is an estimate. If you do the deep analysis available in the beta release, I've read that the estimate is more accurate. Probably one of the reasons for having various maximum file size settings is so that you can manage this risk of sometimes shrinking to a size that is still too big to burn, as well as to compensate for the edge of the disc problems that have been previously mentioned in this thread.

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did the deep analysis once! Good to have as an option.
    For me that one time, it took too long to run though. So far I am getting great results with the defaults without deep analysis, so I don't do it.

As for file size, I will probably play with that some and get it down to about
    4gigs for most disks just for saftey in case I run into some bad disks.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys all is good I have been burning a lot of dvds and they all look good. I am using the dvd shrink 3 and it automatically resizes to 4.4 gigs and i use nero to burn and it works great for me. yhnx guys. what ever you do dont use IFOEDIT.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On no, Vesterlee, you don't get off so easily! Like the bank robber says to Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry, "I gots to know!!".
    So what did you do to get things to work? 'Fess up. After 3 pages of this thread, we got rights!!!

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  8. vesterlee, you'd better come back and tell us how you fixed the problem, or we'll set the DVD-backuper's curse on you!!

ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my take on this:

His first problem was that he created an empty video_ts folder using the Nero wizard but forgot that he had to move the files to the empty directory or else he dragged his video_ts directory into the nero window thus created a new sub-directory. Nero of course complained since there were no ifo files in the main video_ts dir.

Next he copied the files properly but because he had messed up in a previous step (who knows what) he had some corrupted or missing files and again Nero complained this time about non compliant files.

Next he fixed that problem but as luck would have it he had a media error and the write failed.

He redid the whole thing and finally with all the help he received, got it right.

How do I know this? I don't! Vesterlee never gave proper feedback yet still got 3 pages of help and solved his problem. Pretty lucky I say.

There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think one line some most of it up!

. what ever you do dont use IFOEDIT.
    From his last post! I would almost be willing to bet 10-1 he used ifo edit to mess up his files somehow and that's why Nero complained!

Plus maybe a bad disk on that one that terminated with errors?

Gee does this mean our fun thread about DVD SHRINK is now dead and we have to find a new one?

I would like to thank Vesterlee, if not for his post starting this thread I probably still would not have started backing up my disks. But now I have backups of about 6 expensive disks I have been worried the kid was gonna trash.
    Thanks to everyone else too for info about shrink and Beta 5!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  11. "Thanks to everyone else too for info about shrink and Beta 5!"

... and thank you for your detailed and positive feedback.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @gll99
    Nah, he couldn't possible have made those errors! Why, you'd have to be a blithering idiot to make those mistakes, especially after half of the free world was giving you advice to the contrary! No I have faith. I think vesterlee will give us that one post we crave and tell us how he beat the demons and came into the light!

In case he doesn't - a pox on him! I for one was motivated to download DVDShrink 3beta5 and try it out after so many of you, especially overloaded_ide extolled it's virtues so frequently. Previously I had used 2.3 many times to back up the movie only from my DVDs, but I took the plunge and used it to back up volume 2 of Fawlty Towers. I wanted the entire disc with all the features and menus, but I would have to compress 56%! Well, I tried the deep analysis that everyone raves about and am extremely pleased with the result. Maybe some purists can spot a decrease in quality, but I can't!

So, it's been fun folowing this convoluted saga and I do hope we get the closure we so richly deserve.

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  13. Morloc,
    What is a Fawlty Towers, you picking at Two Towers? I did that one this morning, but haven't watched it yet. I did play it just jumping through the chapters to the end and they all looked great! The end played fine also, I didn't watch it really just let it play through the last chapter to see if it skipped alot or froze. No problem!

I did NOT use the deep analyze feature though, just the defaults, and it worked great! If that's the same movie you did then how long did the deep ananlyze take on it?
    WHat's your system basics.

Mine, 1700xp, 1 gig ram, 120gig slave drive, w2k pro on master 60gig drive. Also I ripped with my toshiba sd5002 burner.
    I am out of IDE connectors (thus the name) or I would have a Plain DVD drive installed also. I keep looking at the promise IDE cards, but never get around to ordering it or the one time I would have it was out of stock

I for one was motivated to download DVDShrink 3beta5 and try it out after so many of you, especially overloaded_ide extolled it's virtues so frequently.
    I geuss that is a compliment so thanks, or did you mean I just gab alot
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @overloaded_ide
    No, I really meant Fawlty Towers. It was a British comedy TV series starring John Cleese that was very popular about 10 years ago, and can still be seen occasionally on PBS - especially at pledge drive time. Each DVD has 4 epsodes plus extras, and I didn't think it would be watchable after so much compression. I haven't tried the Two Towers, but any long movie with lots of action can be a challenge to produce without blocky artifacts.

Best wishes,
    Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hey there all,

I have been watching this thread because I too got the same error from nero!!!

but I was following a guide... known as "How to use DVDShrink to keep just the movie and menus" link is

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/175347.php

And though I believe i read this guide carfeully and did each step as i was going... But when i got to Nero... it gave me the same error vesterlee..

i have successfully burnt a few of them (not using this particularly method) and this is the first time i saw it..

Now i ignored the error and continued to burn it.. seeing i have DVD-RW i wasnt losing anything, just time..

So its burnt.. I havent yet tested it.. sigh.. (had to go to work) but i shall soon and report back...

if anyone can help to maybe why???? movie was Die Hard.

cheers

Devilgrins
    Quote Quote  
  16. And though I believe i read this guide carfeully and did each step as i was going... But when i got to Nero... it gave me the same error vesterlee..
    The adventure continues...

What is the exact message you get from Nero and what files are showing in the VIDEO_TS folder in Nero?

"the same error as verstlee" doesn't cut it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings. I had the same problem as Vesterlee. I kept getting the same errors using Nero: "non-compliant...". I used DVD Shrink when IC7 wouldn't work and also used Nero after trying to use IC7 which kept freezing at the same exact spot. BTW, I was trying to backup the "ER" series of DVDs. I ripped using DVD Decrypter in both File and ISO modes, mounted with Daemon (for ISO) and tried to burn with IC7 - it froze after awhile. Then I ripped in File mode to burn with Nero and it gave me the "non-compliant" error.

I thought my original rips had errors, so I ripped them again, same exact problem. Now I have all 7 "ER" discs ripped in both File and ISO formats sitting on my hard drive with no way of burning them onto a DVD.

Anyway, that's about it. Frustration to the max.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Getting "non compliant" from Nero isn't an error. Nero is telling you your files are non compliant because you are giving it non compliant files. I do think you guys have the same problem as vesterlee, though.
    Quote Quote  
  19. OK vesterlee,
    It's your turn

What's the answer here?

OK, 2 quick questions comes to mind! When you say you used ?? after IC7 would not work, did you reboot between trying to run the 2 different programs?

Is IC7 by any chance a common factor amongst users with problems on this thread?

Purhaps IC7 is interfering with DVDshrink somehow.

I would say definately REBOOT if one program crashed or did not work in general before trying the next one
    It may not help, but it can't hurt!

I had a problem with my system once where I could open a file with my ATI software and the player would crash if I tried to skip forward. Then ANY program I used to try and open that TYPE of file would not work correctly! Different programs had different problems, but it was only AFTER I crashed the ATI stuff! If I did a reboot after an ATI crash all was fine as long as I did not crash ATI again! And it only crashed if I tried to jump ahead while watchng a file, like to see if the end captured well!
    That particular problem was not ATI, but I had corrupted something on my system, so nothing against ATI on that.
    It was something else (forget what) that was causing ATI to crash, but the ATI crash is what caused everything else to crash! Chain reaction!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  20. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vesterlee
    what ever you do dont use IFOEDIT.
    yep, I agree with overloaded_ise as to why he has said this but I doubt IC7 is the common factor

as Presto has mentioned, Nero is reporting an error for a reason

it looks like his problems were closer to home but now he's changed his procedure slightly and fixed the error

why didn't someone tell him how to use ALT+Printsrceen and upload a pic. Tazman777 said it right, a picture is worth a 1000 words

maybe I'll do a small guide so then people can actually see how easy it is to put a pic on this site, it will save so many problems when trying to solve things like this because they cannot answer questions with enough information
    Quote Quote  
  21. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to mention the save feature in Nero, which may be easier than saving a picture of the error. Nero firstly complains with a popup window but after you click cancel the main window (the pic below) shows exact details of the error as there are a few. You can save all this info as a text file then simply copy this into your post to make giving details of errors so much easier

UDF/ISO compilation
    14:09:01 #1 DVDREALLOC -21 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 890
    Required file 'VIDEO_TS.IFO' is not present

14:09:01 #2 DVDREALLOC -21 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 890
    Required file 'VIDEO_TS.BUP' is not present

14:09:01 #3 Phase 117 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1843
    DVD-Video files compliance test failed

this is obviously telling me the files are missing (because I deleted them ) but Nero checks the IFO's against the VOB's and if a file is missing this is the error you get

UDF/ISO compilation
    14:15:03 #1 Phase 112 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1843
    DVD-Video files reallocation started

14:15:03 #2 DVDREALLOC -124 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1161

14:15:03 #3 Phase 115 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1843
    DVD-Video files reallocation failed

this is the error you get if the IFO if the VOB's are present but not the correct size as I replace a VOB with a smaller one

this is probably one of the main reasons Nero sucks for a few people as it has this check before burning and they are trying to burn files that have errors. It may play in some standalone players but that's the chance you take
    Quote Quote  
  22. What Alt+ printscreen?

I have a printscreen key, and an alt key, but using them both does nothing! Even SHIFT ALT Printscreen, does nothing. And I did try a few other things too. It's like the printscreen key is dead, and the ison ALL my systems, not just this one!

So how do ya do it now adays?

Yea, I use it alot in Dos 3 -6.22 and windows 2-3.1 But I think It was win98 and 2k when I noticed it no longer works for me!!!

I thought maybe MS was getting too many screenshots of error messages and their answer for a fix was to delete the feature

Now I thought people doing all these screen shots downloaded a program to get them!

SO, I am not a PC newbie, but how do I do it??
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to paste it into a program. Just pressing Print Screen does nothing. Open up MS Paint or photoshop or something, then select edit - paste,
    Quote Quote  
  24. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ALT+Printscreen pressed together copies the top main focus window
    Printscreen pressed by itself copies the complete screen and you can just crop the image afterwards if you want more than the main focused window

it then stores the image onto the clipboard so you must open your paint program (any will do) then Paste the stored image into the paint program

I use Paintshop Pro and save it as a JPG using the optimize feature to keep it below 60kb so I can upload it
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well guys here is my answer to your question. like i said before i reformated my computer and put my XP back on started using the new dvd shrink 3.0. and nero 6.0 and everything started working fine. that is all I can say. but the pic is not as clear if i use IC7 i think that IC7 makes it look a whole lot better. but I am gonna stick with the nero process. like i say i really appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  26. "but the pic is not as clear if i use IC7 ithink that IC7 makes it look a whole lot better..."

Have you tried using DVD Shrink "Analysis"?

"...like i say i really appreciate your help."

You're welcome.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm splitting this topic...done.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Wow that was strange, I click to go to page 4, get an error, hit back and page 3 is the last one now
    Hmm, split and several messages now missing, ok, I see, good deal!

Thanks for the info about the print screen, I feel really dumb about not knowing that

In the old days when you used print screen you got a box that gave options of printing to a printer or saving to a file. Well this will help now when I try to give people help so thanks alot! I have several programs I can paste and edit in, and I know how to do that fairly well Will also help now when I have to ask quesions also!

Sorry about going a little of topic on this thread myself, but at least not too far really, I wanted to put up screen shots for DVDshrink and Nero way back when vesterlee was having problems and we first started this. SO I guess this is sort of on topic, on the side?

I don't use IC7, but I have to ask, what are you using for playback?
    Using DVDshrink 3beta5 with the defaults I can't see any difference! For me, I don't think it could be any better!
    I had a friend over the other day and He watched part of Fellowship of the ring. He was amazed at the quality of video on the DVD! And he did not even know it was a copy, I put the backup in right before he got here, so it was already playing. He thought it was a store bought disk!
    He had not seen this movie yet, but he has other DVDs he's bought. So he should know DVD quality in general.

Perhaps its that Sanyo flat screen TV I have that causes the picture to look so 3d crisp and clear, compared to other tvs? That one is only a 20" so maybe on a bigger set it would not be as good?

As for Shrink itself, it's so simple a child could use it
    I just put it on my 12yr old daughters system. Wanted to check the speed on a 1700xp with only 256mb ddr, mine has 1 gig. Was still fast, about 30 minutes or so. I forgot what disk she ripped, but she ripped one on her system, then we transfered the files over the lan to my system and she burned the disk with nero. Her first ripp and burn, I'm so proud :P
    And it works, she watched it all the way through.

Now I think I will have a helper! She can ripp our disks while I use my main system for other things like capturing and editing. Then copy files over the lan and burn the disk when I'm not busy with it.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vesterlee,
    Thanks for the feedback and for the closure. I'm somewhat surprised by your comment about DVDShrink, though. I've never used IC7 either, but I can compare my backups to the originals, and like overloaded, I can never tell the difference. Even my last shrink which was at 50% is indistinguishable from the original and I've got a good player and a large TV. As ddlooping suggested, for the heavy compressions I use deep analysis and the results are great.

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see a little difference between the two dvd shrink you can see the color haze affect every once in a while. but with IC7 it is picture perfect. its probally reconizable to me because i have been using IC7 for a long time. but if you try it you might see it too. we as dvd backup burners notice it because we look for stuff like that but any other person will not see it. hey guys this is a great site and should be a rating poll on here to let people say what they think about the site. the guys on here compared to other sites are truly professionals and know their stuff.
    Quote Quote