VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by overloaded_ide
    I think I have the newest version, just downloaded it a few minutes ago. DVDshrink Version 2.3

Originally Posted by presto
    recommend the latest Beta (Beta 5). It has has a function that does a deep analysis of the disk and lets you get better quality at the same compression
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The beta is a big improvement over an allready great program. You can even combine two DVD's onto one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, darn!

Here I go again, high ho high ho, off to download I go

I saw that blue page once too, but I got it off a mirror site before that I think.

Well at least we know 2.3 still works

Thanks.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, got DVDshrink beta 5.
    No problem with that one either, it also worked with my version of nero, burning now.

Not sure if I like Beta 5 or 2.3 better. Only one rip with each so far. But I know unless I need to use it, I won't be using analyze again! Nearly an hour and that disk was not so big, about 5 gigs maybe. Then another 40 to actually rip it. Not sure I like the auto feature, I might would rather set my own compressions like with 2.3

But both worked well it seems. I'll watch this disk latter as I will probably be asleep before it is done burning.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  5. overloaded_ide, you can also set your own compression with v3.0 beta.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/changing-ratio.php
    ddlooping
    For DVD Shrink guides & goodies: DVDShrink.info
    My "other" site: Teaching-Tools
    Quote Quote  
  6. vesterlee:
    Nero is junk. Try this Take that VIDEO_TS folder from DVDShrink, make sure all the files are in there. Use Recordnow max, close the wizards if it pops up. At the top select Data Disc and just add the VIDEO_TS folder that dvdShrink created and burn. Thats is what I do and it works for me
    If time is money then I am traveling back in time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. tompika, thanks for pointing members to DVDShrink.info, I appreciate it.

Off-topic: have you tried its "Light-Green" color scheme?
    (click on the green button next to the flags)
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  8. Nero Is Junk
    I use Nero all the time to do exactly what vesterllee is trying to do. It is not a problem with Nero unless it is some particular problem on his system and I doubt that.

Still, since vesterlee is having so much trouble with Nero it would probably be a good idea to try another program.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, it would be good if he could try another program for burning.
    Like I mentioned, these are the only two ripps I have done (one other with smart ripper LONG ago I don't count)

As simple and straight forward DVDshrink was, I can't imagin it not working for him unless he tried something really fancy with it and has a user error of some type. Basically I clicked the .exe file to start it, stared at it a few seconds, and made a backup. Now I should go back and read the Help files and see how to use the program

Although I am doing other types of captures, minor editing, and burning, I am a total newbie at Ripping, and I don't use NERO for Video DVDs myself either.

I was extremely surpised how fast and good DVDshrink is, both 2.3 and the beta5! I will be doing some ripping myself from now on

Like I said though, I only did 1 rip with each so far, Both are excellent quality when played back on the setop and 20" TV. I really can't tell the difference between the master disk and the backup!
    Now I need to read the directions on how to use them

However for me, both versions dumped the files into the folder I created with windows explorer, the program DID NOT create a VIDEO_TS folder!
    For instance I created a movierip folder on my editing drive, pointed DVDshrink to that and all the files went into movierip, not movierip/VIDEO_TS
    Not that it matters, and for first time use maybe I mssed something.

vesterlee,
    If you are using Nero VideoDVD, you are not setting a Non-standard label for your disk are you? That will give you an error. If Nero is creating the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders they should already be in caps! They MUST be all CAPS or you will probably get an error from Nero, and the disk may not read in some players.

Where ever you had DVDshrink create the ripped files, select all of them and either drag and drop into the VIDEO_TS folder in Nero or use copy and paste to do it. Make sure you are getting ALL of the files!

If you can use some other burning program, try it! You might have a problem with NERO itself.

When you ripped your disk, did you use BACKUP? I think I saw a re-author option also, so far I only used the backup and I did the complete disk minus the French langauge! Kinda funny when I set the DVD menu to play movie in French I have a Silent movie. Also one disk has both widescreen and fullscreen on the disk, next time I won't keep both.

I am using Win2k Pro, not that it should matter, but I have been hearing various things not working in XP lattely, though I dought it would cause Nero to give an error message at you.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello guys its me again here to say I have,nt gotten it to work yet but i am still trying though. I am gonna try with record max when i get off work. I do hev XP and maybe thats my problem also. I think i might put 2000 pro also. also when i open in power dvd the menus dont work i have to hit the next button to get the movie to play unlike just clicking on the play with the mouse with a real dvd. I have been ripping for a while and this has got to be the only problem i have had. when i try everything else i will let you guys know what happens. I got it to work once but that was it and I dont know how it happen. I wa shocked and when i went to make another it would'nt. but I am trying and I hate XP really I do
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think XP is your problem. In any event, I suggest you not go changing things all at once. You'll never track down the source of your problem that way! First try to burn with a different software.

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i will try another before i re-format. and if it dont work i am gonna use win 2000. i have a question for everyone who has replied to my post. is everyone using anything else other than xp and it works fine for them. XP is not working for me at all. I have ripped at least 5 or 6 different ones to see if i can get them to work and nothing positive has happen yet.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Gee, is that a hidden feature? Click on ratio and drag

Ok, now another question, it was easy to delete the extra langauge I don't need. But how would I tell which is widescreen when it shows 2 main movie files as just title 1 and title 2? And how do I remove it from the backup? They look the same to me in the preview window.
    I'll do some looking and searching on this and other questions I have while we wait for vesterlee to try Recordnow max and see what happens.

If I can just remove the widescreen without re-authouring I could skip alot of compresion and keep all the extras.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  14. Gee, is that a hidden feature? Click on ratio and drag
    It is part of the Beta version

Ok, now another question, it was easy to delete the extra langauge I don't need. But how would I tell which is widescreen when it shows 2 main movie files as just title 1 and title 2? And how do I remove it from the backup? They look the same to me in the preview window.
    Maybe both versions start off widescreen for the opening credits then one of them goes to widescreen. Use the scroll bar and check. What you see in that little window is what you get.

To Remove one you have to go to re-author which means you lose your menus. Dlooping has some great tutorials on using reauthor so go up to his posts and follow his link.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    record max termiknated with errors. so u know what this means[/code]
    Quote Quote  
  16. record max termiknated with errors. so u know what this means
    Your system is foo foo?

Did record max report any errors with your files, or just not complete burning the disk? If the disk burn failed, well that would seem to me to be more of a disk/hardware/system type error, though I never used record max either. Unless it said a file error somewhere, My geuss is it would burn anything to the disk once it started burning, unless it ran into a disk error?

Before you change alot of things, exactly HOW did you rip the dvd?
    I mean if two burning programs failed now, and I know DVDshrink works for me. Since I found this thread I have downloaded DVDshrink 2.3 and 3beta 5. I have ripped my first 3 dvds ever and burned em all with nero!
    I needed backups anyway, just been to busy to do it. I did our 3 most watched DVDs so far, Scooby Doo, Ice Age, and Snow Dogs.
    Now trying to ripp fellowship of the rings, if this one works well, then tommorow I will buy the new Twin Towers the kid wants

Did you change settings and rip manually, like re-author or something?
    Have you ran anytype of extra programs on your files like ifo edit or anything that could have caused errors? Do you have anything else you can try to burn other than a ripp?

. i have re-done the movie twice and is probally mising the simplest step. i have been doing this for a while but have problems with this one thing
    What is it you have been doing? Maybe capturing anolog and authoring DVDs like I normally am doing? If so, try burning one of those again and see if it still works or gives you errors.
    I can't really figure any simple step that could be missing off hand. Like fellowship of the rings, DVDshrink read the disk, set the compresion so it fit the disk and all I needed to do was click backup so show where to put the files. Although I did play around a bit, I did not actually need to do anything! That was Beta5 though.

Maybe you need to list your system specs and DETAILED info on exactly what you are doing.

ddlooping, presto, tompika
    Thanks guys! As I mentioned, I just started ripping trying to find an answer for this thread. YA'LL been a help to me. I should have been doing this before, I found some of my DVDs already have tiny scratches in them. Though luckily no problems yet.

Tapes rot, tangle, get eaten, pain to rewind and all that, but they have the one advantage they are tougher and stand up better to heavy use by kids than a disk does! Disks crack and scratch too easily!

I love DVDshrink Beta 5 so far, crystal clear, looks exactly the same as my original disks on my TV!

So lets open a can of worms now, I need more disks....
    Only about 20 left,

Just joking!!!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  17. As far as disks getting scratched, I've had good results with the Disk Doctor. You pt the disk in, spray it with some stuff and then turn the crank for a while and it resurfaces the disk. It's worked on every disk I've had trouble with so far.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well here it goes i put 2000 on my computer and still get the same message so i dont know but have wasted a lot of time and find it very hard to believe anyone has gotten this to work. i ripped it like i normally do and never had any problem using ic7 to make an pdi file to burn but it takes too long. I am really lad i got this post up because it did help someone huh. gonna put my xp back on and retry
    Quote Quote  
  19. Have you tried other DVDs or just one? I would leave 2000 on the system awhile and see what you can do with that.

I just did a 178 minute movie DVD with DVDshrink, was fast ripping about 40 minutes, maybe less. Movie and anything else that was on the disk, and I can't tell the difference. I am watching the backup now.
    Fellowship of the Ring.

What version of Shrink are you trying? Get the beta5 mentioned earlier in this thread. Start it, leave the defualt settings, click open disk and let it read the disk. It should automatically recomend best settings. Try this on a smaller movie without alot of extras! Long as it is more than 5gigs total and see what happens. Try a new movie, something that has not yet given you problems. If it ripps and then you can burn it ok, then you know your software and system works! Then try the one giving you problems again.
    If it doesn't work then you know it's probably not the disk your trying to do.

I'll try ripping a disk with one of my other systems tomorrow, it's 2k also, but a fresh install without any extra's. Although I'll still have to copy the files to my main system before burning.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  20. vesterlee, try uninstalling IC7, as a DVD Shrink user noticed it conflicted with DVD Shrink on his system.
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22802

If it still doesn't work, you might want to try a free and simple burning software called "burnatonce".
    A guide and the link to the official site can be found here:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/burnatonce.php

When you tried with W2k, what other burning/backup softwares were installed on your pc?
    Do you also use a firewall/anti-virus?
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote  
  21. You should also get a DVD-/+RW too They will save you alot of money in the long run. You can test your project before you permantly burn them espeically when your are trying something like this and you don't get it right the first few times.
    If time is money then I am traveling back in time.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tried burnatonce and it say there are some errors consult your log. do I need to download some plug ins or something.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vesterlee,, I've just read three pages of your dilema,, and I don't think you're going to find a solution in what you have man,, Something is definitely incompatible on your PC that is not letting you burn. Others are doing it on their first try without the failures. Have you downloaded/installed all the latest updates, patches, and firmwares for everything? I'm betting on it being something really stupid when you do find it..
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    finally got one to work. I made my file size smaller than 4.3 and then it work I guess they were to big. but it looks great. I do have all my patches for Windows XP. Are there any certain patches I need for nero , like do I need to add nero mpeg plug-ins and stuff like that. Right I have gotten 2 of them to work.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vesterlee,
    DVDShrink shows you by way of a green/red bar if your reauthored or backed up disc is going to fit on a DVD or not. If you see any red - it won't fit. Do you think this is your only problem?

Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no I really dont think this is the problem I can only get 1 or 2 to work the rest wont, just tried another and it didnt work
    Quote Quote  
  27. Just a quick suggestion to all of the people who are trying to help vesterlee (and to vesterlee him/herself). A picture is worth 1000 words. Post a screen shot of the original error message of nero. Also allow people to see the video_ts folder in the background. You might also want to post one of your dvdshrink right before you rip. This may not help your problem, but who knows, it could be something really simple. What burner do you have BTW... I have a pioneer a06 and have been backing up 1 to 1's with dvdxcopy. I have yet to have any major problems, well, my dvd's don't playback on standalone dvd player (this is in another post BTW, please help me if you can!!!). I don't think its a compatability issue with anything on your computer if you were using DVDshrink before, and then all you were doing was making iso's then burning. If the burning worked fine then, it should work fine now.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, here is where we seem to be at this moment,
    1) DVDs prepared just prior to burning play fine in Power DVD
    2) Problems are independent of which burning software you use
    3) Problems are independent of which authoring s/w you use
    4) Problems are independent of which OS you use (XP or 2000)
    5) Some, but not all, problems were caused by authored DVD too big to fit on disc
    Faced with the above, I would try (in the following order):
    1) Change media (different brand of DVD Rs) They can turn bad within the same spindle.
    2) burn slower - despite the advertised speed of your media, burn at the slowest available speed.
    3) defrag hard drive and clean registry.
    4) suspect driver/codec conflicts with other programs and consider using a "clean" machine from a reformat and limited software installed.

Hope some of this helps,
    Morloc
    Quote Quote  
  29. There is a setting in DVD shrink to tell it what media you want to use. I had to set mine to DVD R (3.9G) rather than DVD5 (4.7G). Maybe this is vesterlees problem but it seems like if Nero was saying the files were too big this would have been clear.

I'm confused about why I can burn 3.9 G and not 4.7 G. I use DVD+R. Can DVD-R burn that much more than DVD+R?

Anyone understand this?

This setting is under edit/preferences in DVD shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  30. vesterlee, presto, change the "Target Size" in DVD Shrink to custom, and try different settings until you reach one that works for you.
    "Edit >> Preferences >> Target Size".

Start at 4,420 MB , and keep lowering it down by 10 or 20 MB increments.
    ddlooping
    Quote Quote