VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am using dvd shrink beta 5 and copytodvd, for my backups.
    My question is - Can I copy protect my dvdr's so I dont have to worry about others copying them?
    Any insight would be great.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're kidding right?
    If Hollywood can't come up with something that works, why should the average home-user.
    "The software said Win XP or better, so I Installed Linux"

3. Can I copy protect my dvdr's so I dont have to worry about others copying them?
    ROTHLMAO! That's funny!
    "Terminated!" :firing:

4. The thing is - I took the time to figure out how to copy these movies, and I dont want some ******* dumbass to use easy cd creator, and copy what took time, trials and patience to figure out.
    PS- if you dont have a resonable reply- please **** OFF !

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator BJ_M

5. If you ask a stupid question you should expect a stupid answer...

What are you doing giving other people access to your backups? Didn't you know that's illegal?

6. And who would you be giving these to that you would have to worry about them copying your copies. Doesn't really sound like fair use to me.

7. All I want to know is if it is possible, and if so how?
    I know that if any one understands the concept of ripping movies that this would be a minor speed bump in thier copying quest- I want this feature for the movies I back up, that I may loan.
    Please- If you have a answer, whether it is possible, please post an reply.

8. The answer is NO. Is that simple enough

No one is being a smarta&& or making fun off your but despite what your teachers told you there really are silly questions and this is one of them. You just beat the copy protection that a multi-billion dollar industry developed (with freeware tools). What do you think any of us could put in place that might work?

You can re-CSS the discs if you like (for DVD) but as you already know that does nothing. VCD/CVD/SVCD = nothing.

9. You can re-CSS the discs if you like (for DVD) but as you already know that does nothing.
    No, you can't even do that. DVDR disks don't support CSS.

10. If it cant be done - it cant be done. all I was looking for was a simple straight forward answer.

Thanks for jumping down my throat.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    op, youre a moron, you want to copy protect stuff that you used other peoples work to get, usually freeware. from peple who are smarter and share what they have and developed. and now youre worried people will copy YOUR WORK.. what a joke

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    <Gurm begins to channel Vance...>

You could insert marked errors...

<Gurm exorcises Vance...>

- Gurm

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like someone should get locked out from posting if he can't control his mouth. But first he need's to pull his foot out. Think before posting, maybe you won't look so stupid in the future. "All the work you did", come on all you did was follow what someone else already did for you, but I'm sure you've convinced others that you're an Enstein. Now go away potty mouth.

Search Comp PM
    You could always use PGP to encrypt them. But you will always have to play them back on a computer.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    People who use profane language leed me to believe they have a very limited vocabulary .

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thayne
    Can I copy protect my dvdr's so I dont have to worry about others copying them?
    ROTHLMAO! That's funny!
    Agreed - ouch that hurt.

Now if you don't mind I need to rush back to blockbuster before the late charges. Still got 60 Gb of space for backing up my hard earned work of choosing movies. :P

17. Originally Posted by Gurm
    <Gurm begins to channel Vance...>

You could insert marked errors...

<Gurm exorcises Vance...>

- Gurm
    LMAO! I thought about bringing that up, but didn't want to confuse him any more than he already is....

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vejitasama
    No one is being a smarta&& or making fun off your but despite what your teachers told you there really are silly questions and this is one of them. You just beat the copy protection that a multi-billion dollar industry developed (with freeware tools). What do you think any of us could put in place that might work?
    Although this thread was hilarious at points, I take exception to your assertion that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If it exists to obtain information that matters to us, how can the question be stupid, i.e., "silly"? Now he knows he cannot protect his ill-gotten gains from someone else with same malevolent intentions, maybe it will do him some good in the long run (Hey, I'm a hopeless romantic, and I tilt at the windmill of you labeling questions as "silly"!)
    Hello.

19. I take exception to your assertion that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If it exists to obtain information that matters to us, how can the question be stupid, i.e., "silly"?
    It wasn't the question that was the problem, more how he asked it. People have asked that question here before and were given friendly replies.

20. If there was a way do you think HollyWood be using it right now and no one could make a back up. If HollyWppd can not do it then there is no way.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. I thought the rest of the thread was hilarious, though. I am sure once the moderators finish laughing their hind parts off, they will probably lock it and send down terrible lightning bolt of warning.
    Hello.

22. A sincere thanks for the best laugh I've had in a while.

It wasn't the silly question, or the pride in acheivement at learning to use a practically one-touch program.

No, for me, it was the giant icon of what I took to be one of Santa's elves gone bad, which then reminded me of a scene in Corky Romano, and it all came together into several moments of very enjoyable hilarity. "I wanna keep all the other bad little elfs from playing with my toys!"

In thanks, I shall offer that most anyone who is too stupid to defeat an elementary user-applied protection is too stupid to make the attempt in the first place.

Search Comp PM
    The PGP really will work Just can't play them in a set top player. But it will be safe!
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?

24. You should make it so this warning pops up when you insert the disc:

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OpHolmes006
    I want this feature for the movies I back up, that I may loan.
    loan the original - at least it has encryption.

- housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"

26. Originally Posted by The village idiot
    The PGP really will work Just can't play them in a set top player. But it will be safe!
    No it won't. As soon as they decrypt it they can copy it.....

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer freestylers solution to Op's problem. Other than that there's no way you can keep people who are determined from copying DVDs. Only the MPAA and Major Studios are too stupid to catch on. Whatever copy protection that can be developed by so called professionals, are eventually cracked by amateur computer geeks. Other than that, learn C+ and develop you're own proprietary copy protection. It couldn't be worse than what those idiots at Macrovision have come up with.

Search Comp PM
    DVD Studio Pro allows you to turn CSS and Macrovision on for DVD-Rs.

29. Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    Other than that there's no way you can keep people who are determined from copying DVDs.
    If I may quote one of our veteran members?

"If I can see it, I can copy it."

Just like Budweiser. True.

30. Originally Posted by tgpo
    DVD Studio Pro allows you to turn CSS and Macrovision on for DVD-Rs.
    Are you sure about that? From what I have read you can only do it on a DVD-Authoring disk or dtl tape to be sent to press. Even if you can theres no way he could justify the cost just so his buddies can't copy "his work"...