VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone tel me how to completely remove Dup-DVD from my system. Uninstalling, then removing the prog dir does not get seem to remove it entirely. I installed a more recent version then unstalled it then instaled and older version and used a serial number that claimed it was registered wut still only records 25% of a DVD (demo restriction). Are we talking about a prog tha modifies the system files here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of programs uninstallers, and Window's add/remove, also, leave turds in the Registry.

I always run RegClean after I uninstall something. It doesn't always work, some programs, especially shareware/trialware, leave an entry giving the date of install in the Registry to prevent you from running a double trial period.

If that doesn't do it, it's either a format or editing the Registry, and, if you don't know what you're doing, could get you to re-install after an easy to do screw up..

I'd try RegClean or some other cleaner first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Part of the problem with this stuff is the guys who write the install programs (I used to do it back in about 97) just use the automated uninstall. If they do anything unusual during their install the script that generates the uninstall might not catch it. And since it rarely actually effects the overall system they usually don't worry about it.

Basicly it comes down to lazyness.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Flaystus and Pox,

I wrote elsewhere about letting the uninstaller get rid of "all" dlls and the like that it said was not used anymore, and hosed my machine.

Can you say if Norton's Clean Sweep monitor would get rid of Registry entries when using Norton's uninstaller?

I've been less than religious in allowing it to monitor.

If it would get it all, and you have CleanSweep, you might try installing the new version, monitored, then uninstall, monitored, maybe the old version, also.

The Registry entries should be written to the same place, and an uninstall may get them this time.

Just a thought. Gonna have to be a bit more scrupulous, my own self.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, the best and only true method I have found that works is just a good ol' fashioned re-format of the HDD. I feel like Windows can get sooooo clutered sometimes and then things will sometimes act screwy. It's a task to do though but the end result is always pleasing for me because I know I don't have drivers or remnants of software still on my PC. :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pyrate,

I referred to format way earlier, but he has a problem with one program that seems to have left a registry entry that he already had a registered program installed, tried a trial upgrade, uninstalled and rei-installed and the old, registered, v no longer works.

Of course, depending on how long he has had XP Pro on his machine. It's supposed to be less prone to garbage corruption than 98 was.

Personally, as I dual boot, I find it easier to boot to the good OS, delete the other OS Win (98 0r W2k ) folder, and reinstall from there. Saves quite a few hours. Course most people don't dual boot.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thx guys for all your help! Dl a copy of regclean and see if that helps. I found Divx 5.x.x also leaves bits behind too. Not gonna reformat HD but setting up a dual boot OSes sounds like something I might also consider. Anyways cheers again, Famous last words: I'll conquer the registry yet!
    Quote Quote