VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok I am looking to buy some surviellance cameras and I have questions, advise would be great.

1. What does the "lines" means? 480 lines ?? 360 Lines..what does that means. Does that make my video clearer, smoother and better quality if I have more lines in my camera ?

2. Capture cards for surviellance has different FPS. What does it means? There's a card that has four channel w/ 30FPS. So I guess 30FPS/4camera=7.5FPS each ?? So does that 7.5 FPS good ?? Is my video plays smoothly ?? and good quality in the video file?

3. With Motion Sensor Detection, does that comes as an option on the software with the capture card. Or an option built in with the camera?

Please help...Thank you,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Ekin
    2. Capture cards for surviellance has different FPS. What does it means? There's a card that has four channel w/ 30FPS. So I guess 30FPS/4camera=7.5FPS each ?? So does that 7.5 FPS good ?? Is my video plays smoothly ?? and good quality in the video file?
    Here is an excellent page describing FPS and what will be noticable and what wont.
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

There is no one answer to your question. There are many variables involved. For example, a human can identify a picture flashed in front of them for only a 1/200th of a second (or 200 FPS), but movies are shown at only 24FPS but are not jerky.

As for motion sensors, they could be either hardware or software. Hardware would probably be more expensive though.
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ekin
    1. What does the "lines" means? 480 lines ?? 360 Lines..what does that means. Does that make my video clearer, smoother and better quality if I have more lines in my camera ?
    Also called lines of resolution. Standard for NTSC is 525 (or 515, I can't remember) lines for broadcast quality. The more the better!

Originally Posted by Ekin
    Capture cards for surviellance has different FPS. What does it means? There's a card that has four channel w/ 30FPS. So I guess 30FPS/4camera=7.5FPS each ??
    Chances are the one you are referring to can support four cameras and it probably records each at a rate of 30fps (an NTSC standard).

So does that 7.5 FPS good ?? Is my video plays smoothly ?? and good quality in the video file?
    It might be jerky as Solarjetman describes.

3. With Motion Sensor Detection, does that comes as an option on the software with the capture card. Or an option built in with the camera?
    Both. Software is just programming code and hardware is what will physical see motion with infared (?). But then again, the software will also have to know when to start recording.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ekin,

Try X10.com.

They sell anything from individual cameras to "Estate" security kits. They have a VCR Commander that turns on the VCR to record when motion is detected, more remote control stuff than you can shake a stick, mostly reasonable.

I have a bunch of the stuff myself.. The cameras are not DVD quality, but you would recognize an approaching person, if you knew him, of course.

They also have low light cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by gmatov
    Try X10.com.
    Ahh! The never endings pop-ups !
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Shocker,

They do do that, don't they?

I haven't bought anything for over a year, my daily e-mail"sale" brochures finally stopped.

Still, it is reasonable, and works.

Cheers,
    George
    Quote Quote  
  7. I haven't seen one in a while tho....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the "click through" rate went too low, probably wasn't cost effective..

Kinda happy about that. Now if only some others would die.....
    Quote Quote