VideoHelp Forum

Poll: PC or Mac

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Flaystus,

I don't know if you will agree, but Win 95 was better than Win3.1, Win98, every release was an improvement on the older version, barring glitches, which, with the exception of 98SE was a free patch, Win2k is better than any 98,or ME, and I won't comment on XP, as I simply hate the interface, tho people keep telling me I can change it to Win Default, feel right at home.

Regardless, you are MAC, you will remain MAC for the rest of your life, and we are not going to change your mind. I don't care how good Win may get, or Linux, I like MAC, and that's all there is to it.
    Kinda a religious thing, ain't it. God said it, I believe it, that settles it. And Steve is God.

Oh, well.
    Christ, I hope this doesn't fall under "No religion". I'd be covering all the bases tonight, wouldn't I?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thayne,

You load any flavor of Linux you want, and then try to install another program, other than those you loaded at the beginning..
    Hell, just get the CD, or the Floppy to work.

Mount/CD. Mount/ FDD.

I have them all, just haven't had any installed since Caldera 2.4. Started with RedHat 5.1, am all the way up to, what, 7.2, 8.1 Suse, Mandrake 9.0, even have Turbolinux. But they are not as easy to use, yet, as Windows, nor even Apple, even tho Apple OS is Unix Based, from what I understand.

If you are a guru, bully for you. Hell, Linus Torvaldts had to leave Metadyne(?) to go back full time to Linux to try to make it operable.

It ain't easy, I don't give a damn what you say. No matter which x-window you use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still dont think you answ.... forget it nevermind. Yeah I'm a Mac fan as well as a PC fan, just not a MS fan if you get my drift. One of these day I'm actually gonna have the free time to dive into LInux, but I hope not cause it will likely mean I'm unemployed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Flaystus,

I mentioned that elsewhere. PC programs have a terndency to conflict with each other, just as you are, or tried to say, Mac programs do.

The hell of it is, everybody writes for the PC, only Apple, basically, writes for the MAC. So if a programmer writes that new whizbang program that just happens to address page such and such in RAM, and some thing else wants that page, BSOD.

Apple writes their own, has 65000 pages to address,should know which pages are alloted to another program, won't allow it to page such and such, so how come it still crashes, when all SW is controlled by Apple.?

Curious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Applications and such crashed ALL the time in OS9. It was just a way of life for a mac back then

OSX they barely ever crash.
    A testament to this.... got my Dual G4 1.25 in september of 02. its not almost september of 03 - how many crashes? NONE.!
    Not a one.

I have photoshop 7 - never crashed use it daily
    a whole host of other apps including the system - never.

My computer has been on for 1 year straight, i never turn it off and i have NEVER had a system freeze or app freeze.

Do i restart? sure, when i have to because of an application install.
    Do i sleep it? sure, when im not using it.
    Do i shut it down? not so far.

I have had my PC since january of 01. It was running 98 at the time, and was going fine for about 3 months, then slowly progressed into a narcoleptic machine. Put Xp on there cuase yes its better, but even still it is not as stable as my G4.

anyway, like its been said, if your mac then your mac, if your pc then your pc. no point in going further.

All i can say is dont bash it until you try it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flaystus
    Cause thats the OS that usually has problems like that. Either way 99% of Mac issues are caused by crappy software, but then its basicly the same on PCs also except I'd lower the figure to about 85%.
    Micro$oft claims that only 50% of the crashes is it's fault. The Slashdot readers tore that one up!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gmatov,

sorry, do you work with macs on a daily basis? have you ever worked with a mac? Stop trying to tell people that macs suck just because A mac your daughter used had A problem with A piece of software. If i warned people off PC's for the same reason, no one i knew would dare admit they owned one!!

As for Linux, is it harder to configure than Windows? quite possibly, i had a play with red hat 5, and yes, it took more effort to get running that win 95. Is it a better operating system after it's set up though...... why don't you leave that question to someone who actually uses it?

Same thing goes for the macs. the -only- time i have ever used/seen a mac in use was the marketing machine at work, which had locked up halfway through boot up. SO ALL MACS MUST CRASH HALFWAY THROUGH BOOTUP!!!
    As a matter of fact i discovered today the reason it crashed is because someone turned on the external CD drive and external hard drive halfway through boot up. So nothing to do with the MAC as purchased, and nohing to do with the Apple controlled software, entirely the users fault with a third party device and not reading the instructions.

But then perhaps i'm not "learned" enough for you....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help guy's.

I know Mac's are more expensive. But by the sounds of things it would be worth it.

I agree with the Mac users, I have heard that Macs are less prone to crashing, EVERYTHING microsoft crashes. Even my Xbox.

Dont get me wrong, the Xbox is great. But all to often the stupid thing freezes on me. And drives me up the wall, I just want sumthing that doesnt freeze and crash so often.

XP crashes, Xbox crashes. Am I just unlucky or is it because of that imperialistic bas***d of a computing dictator, who is going to DIE a horrible and painfull death.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well if you get one, i hope you have the same experience I have had with my dual 1.25 g4

Like I said, one year almost with not a single, the only problem I have with it is I wish I had two of them! because my wife is always complaining im always on it and she doesnt have a comptuer to use.

Solution? G5 for me (when i get the $$), and she gets the G4
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by gmatov
    Just out of curiousity, Thayne, at 4%, How is your Etch-a-Sketch running?

Hey, it's your post, your quote, must mean something. Do you know Dilbert and Wally? And the pointy haired boss?

Nuff said.
    Okay, I see your aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you could at least quote me correctly... I'm not the one who posted the Etch-a-Sketch post. That would be RabidDog's post....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Phunkie Munky

If you do get a mac I suggest getting at compusa instead of the apple store, and putting a basic warranty on it above the standard one. The reason I suggest this is 1) the compUSA warranty is 24/7 support, meaning there SHOULD always be a mac tech there to answer the phone, unlike Apples Phone support.. and 2) I Can attest that there are good techs there, though most of the good ones work at night, but like any support there are some idiots there also. and 3) if you have any problems with any of the Mac TEchs I can slap them around for ya. 8)

The CompUSA warranty covers the Hardware and "Basic" software, meaning if the OS is crashing they help you fix it. We don't really do any "How to" support. BTW if you do get the warranty, they come in about 50 different versions such as 1 year, 2 year, 3 year, and Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat. Go with the cheapest one, it gives you phone support and Carry-in repair service, cause the carry is service is no faster then the Inhome service (sometimes its faster actually) and it saves you a butt load of cash.

Just dont let the guys at the store take you with statements like "These guys can help you with anything!" or "Sure they know all about PUblisher and will help you with it"
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would go for a PC...

I don't doubt Macs have absolutely superb build quality, but the issue is that of price and customability. On a PC, you can tailor it to whatever you want (e.g., relatively cheap system but with superb sound card if you do a lot of audio work).

WinXP is actually very stable and if you are a little bit more utilitarian in mind, you can always go for Win2K. Not to mention, you could always use Linux! (of which there are MORE and arguably BETTER distributions on the PC platform than Mac).

Constant crashes? I very very rarely get a hang on WinXP which I use at home. All the workstations at work use Win2K and I've never had one crash on me either. IMHO, system instability isn't really a problem on the PC if you don't use weird software or push the hardware beyond its specs.

As for the GUI, I have to say that OSX is awesome. It is very very nice. However, I'm happy with less eye-candy if it means that I can do what I want with the PC (i.e., work) FASTER. And WinXP minus GUI enhancements (or Win2K) works well and is damn fast.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  13. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    dunno. it's different. for me it's the wrong type of different, like british rail suffers from the wrong type of sunshine on the line for you maybe not. taste it and see.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, Thayne, I'd been awake too long at that point in time. Remember that phrase? Does the reference mean anything?.The Dilbert thing? Funny like hell, I'll scan and post if you like

May I tell everybody I have no, repeat, no, Mac Experience? I didn't even go Mac in 1980, I went Commodore. You see why I don't bet the horses, huh?

I have Linux experience. Not enough, but I have installed several distros, and played with them, but, again, not enough.

One of the reasons is that Win crashed, needed re-installed, wiped out LILO, or the boot record, whatever, would go a while before I would re-install.

Again, play a while, Win needs re-install, etc..

Hey, Windows is FAR from perfect. It will probably never be even close. Hell, even "Mission Critical" machines crash.

As far as other programs causing a Mac to crash, if you installed Windows, minimal instal, and didn't load ANY programs, it would probably run for next to forever, between BSODs. Couldn't do anything with it, but....

I said that before. Programs conflict. But there are so damn many Win DLs to try. Not so many MAC, so less chance of conflicts.

I really don't mind that some of you use MAC and love them. One thing you gotta understand is the PC was not even invented when I went to school ( been out 40 years+ ) so I didn't get the Apple For The Teacher indoctrination.

Ah, well, enough for now. I type so slow there are probb a dozen "you jerks" posted.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  15. Remember that phrase? Does the reference mean anything?.The Dilbert thing? Funny like hell, I'll scan and post if you like
    Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. I know who Dilbert is, but I never really followed that cartoon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't even go Mac in 1980,
    No one had.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thayne,

Rereading your last, I'm even more embarrassed with the context.

The Dilbert thing was a set of panels. Hilarious.

The "nuff said" was meant to point to the Dilbert thing, had you seen it, it would have been self explanatory. You wouldn't be pissed, as you would not think I was putting you down. You might have even gotten a giggle from it.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, guys,

For the hell of it:

I don't know if you have a sense of humor, but I LMAO.

These are pertinent to my posts above.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that didn't work.

Lemme try again.

Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The gadamned thing won't let me upload a couple gifs, I don't know why. Computer illiterate, I guess. Anyone accept it as an e-mail attachment, and put them online.

What a dumbass I am.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flaystus
    If you do get a mac I suggest getting at compusa instead of the apple store,
    Thanks for the tip, flaystus. But I live in England now and not America. We don't have CompUSA here, or do they have an online store???

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NO not reallly, too bad. I'd go for a store.apple.com purchase then. The main thing about a Mac is since is an investment compaired to a PC you want to put at least a basic service plan on it. So that way you can at least get an Apple Care warranty. If you in the use COmpUSA offers a international warranty, but it kinda sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for the advice, me will look into it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One last thing, if you do decide to get one wait at least 2 to 4 weeks, apple should be announcing any updates to the systems soon. And some people say the iMac may be updated. Of course if your gonna spring for a full PowerMac G5 then don't worry cause its not changing for a while.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    To be an obstinate bugger:

1. the "crash different" says it all. very very very few computers and OS's are bombproof.... some just have a better rep - or maybe in the mac's case, better written software, as there's less of it and it's all being written more carefully by and for a "more discerning" crowd
    2. I'll take a camry over an alfa, unless i'm going serious racing. More reliable, more comfortable, cheaper, easier to insure, more economical, less likely to attract the cops, more luggage space, look like less of an elitist nob... goes just as fast as the average Alfa too. Just not as pretty and has less 'breeding'.
    Plus it's a bit more throwaway... if it gets stolen and turns up gutted by fire, you won't end up 'gutted'.
    3. that said, apart from a/ the somewhat dodgy workings of the user interface b/ the sheer slowness of the damn things, i never had a performa (!) or imac go down on me at university. in any turn of the phrase. whereas the PCs tended to do so from time to time... even the linux ones had glitches, on top of having about three programs installed, the only useful one of which being the K-browser.
    4. blaaaa!
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have a G4 and an Athlon system at home. At work I have a Win2k system. The Win2k system is the newest and also the most crash-prone. But to be fair, it gets way more use. Still I wish I could upgrade to XP at work.

At home the Mac is definitely the preferred system. It is so easy to use and configure that it makes you wonder if Microsoft went out of their way to make Windows difficult to use and such a criptic OS.

So the question is, is it worth the price? Well, if you have enough money, anything is worth the price. But for the rest of us the the answer is not so clear. Unless you make a living with your computer you may not appreciate the system and probably can't justify the cost. It's like any tool, say a corldess drill. If I went to Home Depot I would probably buy something like a Black&Decker drill because I will just be using it for typical homeowner type stuff. If I needed a drill to make a living with then I would fork over the extra cash and buy the DeWalt drill.

My advice: Buy a Mac if your income depends on your computer or if you just have mucho expendable income. If not, build a custom PC. Heck, all the bugs are part of the journey. It would be boring if everything worked like it was supposed to, right?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best piont I have to say is; try the computer first if you can. Go to the store, check one out. People say Apple stores are very friendly. I plan on going in and asking "if your computer is so great show me how to make CDs and DVDs". Mac people seem to talk about how well Mac's handle audio/video. The reason is I have had nothing but trouble with my Dell windows XP computer period. I do not know if it is XP or the fact it is a Dell. The problems are/were with the hardware/software. My computer never crashed ever, but I spent a FORTUNE, and not one VHS to DVD transfer. I also replaced all the software/hardware for making CDs from my LPs/cassettes, but at least that did work. My wife has a HP that cost 1/4 of what mine did, and I am able to do CD work that mine couldn't even do flawlessly.
    But I can get a "Windows update" from any screen.
    Another piont I wanted to add is; I went to a friends house and he showed me around his Mac. In my opinion I noticed some small differances that stoped me from buying one. I didn't want to learn another system. Never mind that he made it look easy (they all say it's easy too). The keyboard strokes are different. It seamed to me on a mac you had to rely on the mouse for everything. And he placed/found his files in all new locations. I just couldn't grasp where he was going next. This is why I say go look first. A computer store has some on display, but the internet dosn't.
    But I can get a "Windows update" from any screen.
    I know I have my own style, and I'm completly self tought. My latest plan is to have two, one of each. Sounds kind of silly and expensive, have to wait and see.
    Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to amend my post. I don't know what I was thinking, my computer just crashed, and I realized it happens so much I just overlook it. I also don't link the crashes as the cause of any of my problems. I think it crashes because of the problems.
    Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike1061
    I plan on going in and asking "if your computer is so great show me how to make CDs and DVDs"..
    you say this like its something really difficult!
    Did you go to the store yet?
    just wondering what they said
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Galactica
    No I didn't go yet. I get kinda side tracked. I'm not sure when I can make it.
    Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote