VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few cdr's that i burnt some avi files to in data mode a few months ago with a cd burner and I think the software was ezcd5.0...
    Now im trying to read them on my dvd-r and only one out of 5 works. The other 4 come up blank? Maybe they werent finalized? Is there any software that can finalize these for me or help to recover the files? Thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  2. i think your problem is easy cd creator
    Quote Quote  
  3. The problem is your burning software.

Even if the disc wasn't finalised you should still be able to read it from the disc (just for future reference, CDRWin has a feature for finalising discs).

Try IsoBuster to see if you can recover the files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    read the disks with a cd-rom drive ....... some dvd-rom drives have problems reading older cd written with certain software. i have similar problems with my sony dvd drive it will only read the first session of a multisession disk (sometimes it wont even recognise that there is a disk in the drive) that i created on my cd-rw drive using nero (finalising the disk solved nothing i now have to read my old multisession cds with a cd-rom drive)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most burning software has a "Test" burn option. Once the test bur is complet somtimes it ejects the CD or in this case DVD and you might have thought it was completed but it never burn anything on the dick.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rlegault
    et somtimes it ejects the CD or in this case DVD and you might have thought it was completed but it never burn anything on the dick.

Yes I agree. Some programs call this a "simulate" burn.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I never thought of the simulate burn option.

Just in case the original poster doesn't know how to check if the disc has been written to, hold it bottom side up beneath a light, and see if there is a dark ring from the middle out to nearly the edge of the disc and the rest should be light coloured, or compare to a blank disc of the same brand.

If it appears to be all light in colour and the same as the blank disc, it was written in simuation/test mode, and is therefore blank.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could also try to test it in ISOBUSTER to see if you can view any files on the disc, or to see if any files were indeed written to the disc. I find it to be a very robust tool for hard-to-read data on cd
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pixel
    Just in case the original poster doesn't know how to check if the disc has been written to, hold it bottom side up beneath a light, and see if there is a dark ring from the middle out to nearly the edge of the disc and the rest should be light coloured, or compare to a blank disc of the same brand.
    I do the exact same thing. It will look like this:

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that EZCD creator was the culprit that caused this problem....puter must of had a bad day cuz all of these cdr's except for one is acts like it is blank. And yes I did check the bottoms to make sure that they did indeed were written to. I did start to use ISObuster, and it does show the folders and files in them now..it didnt at 1st. Then I installed my old cd burner and even though it still comes up blank on that , now Isobuster see's the files..only problem it wont let me extract them, well for free it wont...

Anyways thanks for all the help, and if there is another "free" product that will extract these for me Im all ears.. Or better yet if someone knows if "The Job" (ABC TV show with Denis Leary) is out on DVD yet then I'll just buy it ..thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know why you can't extract the files in IsoBuster for free (did you choose the free mode option at the start) I tried with a CD sometime ago and i cold extract them for free.

Put a search in google for "disc recovery" or something and see what pops up.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I dont know why either??? I did use Isobuster early this year and never got the "For this fucntionality you need to register". But im using version 1.4 now.. I probably used an older version back then.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It was 1.4 I used too. Try this:

Open IsoBuster. Go to About->Registration.
    Click on Free funct. only.
    Go to the CD Directory you want to recover from, right click on the files you want, and choose Extract ***.
    I just tried this and it worked.

It could be the files you want to extract have to be recovered in a way that is not part of the free funtions.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL I still get the same message..I looked at the header and it says Isobuster Professional..so I went back to the site thinking i d/l a version that wasnt free..but no luck....Im gonna look for an older version and try it ..Thanks for the help..
    Quote Quote