VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread

FTP

Thread
  1. I can seem to access anything on FTP through my XP machine, and I think it's because of an XP default firewall I've been hearing about. Anybody else get this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you mean you are trying to get files off your XP machine (the XP machine is the server) or are you trying to get files from another computer using your XP machine (the XP machine is the client)?
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  3. Via the internet....

I have an FTP link (ftp://xxxxx), and IE won't let me access it.

But I really want to know more about is how to access WinXP firewall cofigurations...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by g_shocker182
    But I really want to know more about is how to access WinXP firewall cofigurations...
    Go to your Network Connections window (Start>Control Panel>Network Connections)

Then right-click on the conection to the internet you use. This will be different from machine to machine. If you use a router or some other thing, it probably is "Local Area Network"

Go to the third tab labeled "Advanced"

Make sure "Protect my computer and network....." is checked

Click the settings button.

Then enable and disable the features you want.

Hope that helps.

"A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  5. I still get that damn error message. O well, I guess its a hopeless cause.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The main problem people have with FTP and firewalls is that a lot of FTP clients default to "active mode" and firewalls typically require "passive mode". Under the Advanced tab of the internet options you should make sure that the "Use Passive FTP" is checked, I don't remember what the default is.

Of course, without knowing what the error you actually get is, it's hard for anybody to make a reasonable suggestion about your FTP problem.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. IE is a poor ftp client. You'd be better off using an FTP only client like cuteftp or FlashFX FTP
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, g_shocker182 this may help and correct the problems you have and also your Karma

You dont need 2 switch off your firewall to see FTP sites. In XP there are a few settings that need 2 be selected, in order for you to be able to view FTP sites.

If you go to the Control Panel and select the Internet Options icon, a window pops up. Go to the tab on the far right named Advanced. There is a list of things that need selecting in order to view FTP sites.

Make sure that 'Enable folder view for FTP sites' is selected as well as 'Use Pasive FTP (for firewall and DSL compatiability)' is Selected too.

If both of these options are selected then you should be able to access FTP sites using win XP even if XP's software firewall is active.

*See i can bump up my posts in a productive and helpfull way too, :P
    Quote Quote  
  9. Still not working. Now I'm for sure its a problem with the website itself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are you actually trying to do????

Download from a FTP site or upload to one.

If you are trying to upload your website to a server for example. You have to make sure your settings are correct and that the hosting company allows FTP access. Some companies dont give their customers FTP accounts for their domain so you are unable to upload/download via FTP.

If you are trying to download from a FTP site there may be an error on the server, whats the ftp. url maybe we can test it. To see if its you or there is a fault.

Phunkie.
    Quote Quote  
  11. This confirms it:
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probbably the website you are trying to connect to has its FTP access 'switched off' some sites do this because they dont want visitors accessing certain files.

But FTP access most likely works on your system, if you try another site you probbably will get access aslong as it's priviledge settings allow this.

Hope this is a legit site you are trying to access :P just joking....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using Mozilla. It worked with some sites wehere IE failed.
    Quote Quote