VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ha Ha Ha! what a PR blunder this will be!
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.windowsupdate.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It reports IIS running on Linux which isn't possible really. Heres the sites explanation.

Why do you report impossible operating system/server combinations ?

Webservers that operate behind a caching system, load balancer, reverse proxy server or a firewall may sometimes report the operating system of the intermediate machine. Hence reports of 'Microsoft/IIS on Linux' may indicate that either the web server is behind a Linux server that is acting as a reverse proxy, or has configured the Akamai caching system such that the first request to the site goes to one of Akamai's servers [which run Linux], or as in the case of www.walmart.com has been configured to send a misleading signature.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't want to burst your bubble but they say this in the FAQ...

Why do you report impossible operating system/server combinations ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Webservers that operate behind a caching system, load balancer, reverse proxy server or a firewall may sometimes report the operating system of the intermediate machine. Hence reports of 'Microsoft/IIS on Linux' may indicate that either the web server is behind a Linux server that is acting as a reverse proxy, or has configured the Akamai caching system such that the first request to the site goes to one of Akamai's servers [which run Linux], or as in the case of www.walmart.com has been configured to send a misleading signature.
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  4. LOL flaystus, great minds think alike
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  5. Still, even if they have to protect their windows server behind a linux machine is funny. I guess they couldn't fend off blaster on their own???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by thayne
    Still, even if they have to protect their windows server behind a linux machine is funny. I guess they couldn't fend off blaster on their own???
    Actually, I do not believe that the Linux machine is Microsoft's computer at all. The netblock owner is Akamai and if you look at other severs in its netblock, it includes Nike, Xerox, Verison, and many other companies. Though Mcirosoft could be leasing the address, it is most likly they are outsourcing some function of their network to another company.

I could be wrong, and that would be funny though.

EDIT: As for the Blaster virus, the author made a mistake. The address www.windowsupdate.com which the virus was to attack is not the direct link to the server, but requests are redirected. The direct link is windowsupdate.microsoft.com So what Microsoft did to protect its server is just stop redirecting the requests
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  7. No it's not, but they switched the hosting of that domain cause they couldn't handel the attacks from blaster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually, I'm pretty sure they just deleted the DNS record for it.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by stiltman
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they just deleted the DNS record for it.
    heh? They still need dns to point somewhere. What do you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by thayne
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    heh? They still need dns to point somewhere. What do you mean?
    They deleted the DNS record for windowsupdate.com. They didn't redirect it to anywhere, just deleted it.

Basically, Non-existent domain
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by stiltman
    Probably. I do not know the specifics of what they did. The news blurb only said they stopped directing traffic to the server from windowsupdate.com. No detailed info.
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hmmm, Interesting. I didn't even check to see if the domain worked. Well, DNS works for v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Quote Quote