VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    what the deal with microsoft jacking up peoples computers? are they sending out viruses?

i know it's them. i figured it out by accident.

i was fixing a friend's computer. i reformated it and reinstall his version of xp.

i go to widows update to try to get directx 9 and possibly a update of his video card, because he had crappy video drivers. i download them and it tell me his version of xp is pirated. well, his computer isn't worth a damn after that. it didn't recognize files, couldn't install a lot of programs, and rebooted by itself. the internet sometimes worked and it was slow as hell.

it had all kind of problems

i give him his computer backand tells him what has happened. i then hook my computer back up.
    i have the same problems that he had. so, i go upstair and check my wife's computer and it having the same problems. me and my wife's computer is on a network

i mad as hell and i don't know what to do

i don't want to reformat my computers. that was too much work.

then i remembered something a friend told me 2 months ago.
    he said microsoft had said on tv that they were going after people that have pirated copies of XP. he said they were going to do something to their computers

i promptly goes to windows update. and i scan my compter for updates (i have 2 legit copies of XP). i did this so microsoft could check my XP cd-key

i download none of the updates. i then close the program out, and mysteriously my computer return to normal. i do the same for my wifes with same results.

i hate to wonder what would have happen to my computers if i didn't figure that out

strangely, another friend tell me about this virus that is out. he says that it is probably the worse virus ever. then i see them talk about it on the news and internet.

today, i call my cable company to make a payment. the voice message say
    "if your internet and computer is acting up because of that virus there is nothing they can do. call microsoft at 1-866-727-2338

strange conincidence?

microsoft might be behind that one too. it might be the same problem that i had
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea and the goverment has aliens in area 51. You have problems... I suggest seeing a doctor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No man... you're way out of line there. You don't have a shred of proof that Microsoft has done anything.

Its SCO! They want to charge $4Bil (it goes up in October BTW) for a Linux license that they didn't even write. But they have to convince people to give up their Windows first!
    Swift Kick In The Butt $1.00

"Everybody I know needs what I'm selling!" - Calvin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I fixed a doctors computer with this problem a few months ago. It was a sony desktop running Windows ME (yick) anyway it is a Virus, the message about it being pirated is just to throw people off of the fact. And I doubt its MS, because the OS in question was 100% licenced to the user.

Its very nasty, and once its playload is fully delivered good luck getting any data off the drives. It spreads via security holes and random port scanning (sorta like Slammer, the BIG one out now does) but with a different security bug. Also if spreads across the network via shares if able. Thread lightly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always knew it was true!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't see any proof that Microsoft has done anything to your computers. And your cable company is only passing the buck. In truth, neither Microsoft or your cable company is responsible for the Blaster/LovSan virus. Its the fault of the jerk that wrote it.

People tend to blame Microsoft for a lot of stuff that is not the fault of the OS. Even though there is lots of circumstantial evidence in your case, there is no proof. And if your friend's computer does have a pirated copy, I do not feel sorry for him. Microsoft has the right to protect itself against theft.
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The main thing you can legitimately blame Microsoft for is terrible quality control. They tend to design software with the idea that the world is a happy, friendly place where nobody would ever try to do anything bad. That just isn't a good idea, these days you have a lot of kids who think that they're l33t k-rad hAx0rs because they know how to download a 1-click GUI to winnuke and get on IRC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I would agree, Windows has many flaws. However, I try to put it in perspective. There is absolutely no way you can remove all the flaws of a program. It is impossible. Anyone who believes you can do that from a program with millions of lines of code is a fool.

Also, Windows is not a specialized OS. It has to run almost every type of program and use almost every type of hardware in existance. If it was specialized, then it would be easier to make more stable.

Another aspect is Windows has a huge array of features. Most people don't use or even know about. The more features, the more stuff that can go wrong.

And finally, the real reason you hear about flaws is its abundance in the marketplace. Nearly all viruses are written for windows because of that exact reason. If you wrote a virus or hacking tool for, as an example, Linux, you would not have as many people to target it with. Thus, flaws are exploited more from Windows than Linux.

Even though I think Microsoft may overstep its bounds at times, I am very thankful that Microsoft is around. Overall, I think they do a good job at getting things working, given the odds that are agianst them of course.
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Solarjetman
    I would agree, Windows has many flaws. However, I try to put it in perspective. There is absolutely no way you can remove all the flaws of a program. It is impossible. Anyone who believes you can do that from a program with millions of lines of code is a fool.

Also, Windows is not a specialized OS. It has to run almost every type of program and use almost every type of hardware in existance. If it was specialized, then it would be easier to make more stable.

Another aspect is Windows has a huge array of features. Most people don't use or even know about. The more features, the more stuff that can go wrong.

And finally, the real reason you hear about flaws is its abundance in the marketplace. Nearly all viruses are written for windows because of that exact reason. If you wrote a virus or hacking tool for, as an example, Linux, you would not have as many people to target it with. Thus, flaws are exploited more from Windows than Linux.

Even though I think Microsoft may overstep its bounds at times, I am very thankful that Microsoft is around. Overall, I think they do a good job at getting things working, given the odds that are agianst them of course.
    the odds are against them, but the money isn't

boy, i feel sorry for anybody with a pirated copy of Xp

i don't if what happen to me was that virus or not

but it seems to have the same symptoms
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well those with a pirated copy have nothing to fear as long as they are running anti virus and a firewall, which everyone should these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    flaninacupboard Wrote:

Well those with a pirated copy have nothing to fear as long as they are running anti virus and a firewall, which everyone should these days.
    You hit on the head flaninacupboard!!! This is where the true problem is. If you go on the internet unprotected without antivirus and firewall software, you are a fool. Everyone should should stay current with the updates as well. People that fail to do these simple things, put the rest of us at risk.

May GOD help us. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just remember:

XP comes (built/integrated into the OS) with a CD burner, bloated media player, web browser, lousy movie editor, and a firewall (warm speed bump really) BUT NO VIRUS/TROJAN PROTECTION!

Don't give the argument they don't want to tread on the 3rd party virus scanners because they are treading on the rest of the 3rd party software makers ....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by flaninacupboard
    Very true... however... people must remember to update their virus software definitions every so often.

Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cplevel42
    flaninacupboard Wrote:

You hit on the head flaninacupboard!!! This is where the true problem is. If you go on the internet unprotected without antivirus and firewall software, you are a fool. Everyone should should stay current with the updates as well. People that fail to do these simple things, put the rest of us at risk.

May GOD help us. 8)
    my friend had norton antivirus and firewall installed when this happen to him

(i had just updated them about a hour before i went to windows update)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not use a firewall, and I do not use a virus scanner, yet I've only had one virus in almost 10 years. It was the blaster, I cleaned it with the tool and updated to get rid of the bug that let it in. I really dont think its needed to have a firewall if you are a modem user. Back when we had a our cable modem we didn't use one then either, of course thats when cable modem was fairly new.

I can understand wanting a firewall on broad band but on a modem? No reason, if you think you need one there then your only about half a step away from the callers I get sometimes who install 2 virus scanner and 2 firewalls then tell me "I Should be really safe now!"

I have no idea what your cable company does, but what happened to those computer is 100% a virus, a firewall might have helped depending on its settings because it does spread through open ports, but I just love open ports myself. Regular system updates WOULD have stopped it, but then we are all guilty of waiting to do those, at least use modem users have an escuse.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by vance43211
    my friend had norton antivirus and firewall installed when this happen to him (i had just updated them about a hour before i went to windows update)
    Was the date of the update before or after the outbreak? Wouldn't expect them to have that particular virus covered in such a short amount of time. However, why even have a virus scanner then.

About the firewall... the security settings may have been set to low. I've had zero problems so far (oops... just jinxed myself ) and I'm on a network running 4 systems which of course is behind a firewall. AND with an out dated virus def myself.

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by flaystus
    ...a modem user.
    Ouch... I flinched when I read that.

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stopped installing Norton's about a year ago and I've been virus free since then. As a rule of thumb, I instantly delete and e-mail that I don't recognize off the bat. Anyone who really needs to contact me know my work or home number, anyway.

I also have two e-mail accounts, one for spam and junkmail. I reserve the other one for family and close friends. Even so, I still get an occasional foreign e-mail and into the trash bin it goes.

I also have all of my computers hooked up to a router/wireless network, which helps a bit. I had a friend of mine try to hack this computer, just for the heck of it, and I didn't tell him that it was connected to a router. He had a bitch of a time even finding the computer, much less try to hack into it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah a modem user, sad really. You see if you live close enough to dallas you can get usually either Cable or DSL, if you live far enough away some of the small towns have gotten fed up and started WISP on their own, so you have that. But if you live in a small town to far from dallas yet to close you have only modem as an option.

Thankfully I hope to move back to the North Dallas area within the next year so I'll get cable then if I can.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by flaystus
    Thankfully I hope to move back to the North Dallas area within the next year so I'll get cable then if I can.
    You need Flashnet!
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea what flashnet is. I've checking into ISDN, to expensive to have limited channel hours and IDSL (isdn plugged into a DSL dslam) and there is no dslam close enough to plug me into. I've even looked at Sat. Internet, but I like to play games so the latency kills that idea. There really isn't a good solution for poeple like me. Someday maybe...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by flaystus
    I have no idea what flashnet is...
    Opps, Thought you knew

Flash.net used to be an ISP and started in Tx

Bad joke I guess
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  23. A virus scanner and firewall is really mandatory nowadays, especially so with Windows (being very popular in terms of numbers) and just about most people with internet access.

Using something apart from Outlook Express (e.g., Mozilla, Eudora, etc.) for e-mail will essentially stop all those nasty e-mail script viruses.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by vitualis
    Using something apart from Outlook Express (e.g., Mozilla, Eudora, etc.) for e-mail will essentially stop all those nasty e-mail script viruses.
    I'm a Agent user
    Quote Quote  
  25. It always makes me laugh when people blame Microsoft for having a bad operating system when they get infected by a worm like Blaster then you ask them whether (a) they were running an anti-virus program (b) a firewall program or (c) keep their Windows up to date because a patch was released ages ago.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a fan of Mozilla and I think that Mozilla mail is excellent. The Bayesian spam filter works very well indeed.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    this was the situation

my friend's (really my cousin) computer was slow down by all thse programs

and movies and music that he downloaded

he want a clean and fresh computer to take with him

he was going off to college in minnesota today to play football (he just left)

i was reinstalling xp for him (he didn't have this virus)

i started on monday

i reformatted his computer

i added the programs that he had brought with him
    including norton antivirus and firewall (liveupdate automatically updates them when you initially install them). i put in the rest of his programs

everthing is still cool

i hated the video on his 64 mb agp video card
    when you drag a window over, it stuttered badly

dvd movies stuttered (i found out later, that it had always done that)

i go to windows update to upgrade the video drivers and directx

when it ask do you install the window update thing like it usually does
    i click yes like i alway do (you know that little icon thing that ask you to trust microsoft)

it tell me to reboot (that never happen before) wierd

i do . go back to update and download direct x. it stops in the download and tell me that his xp key is pirated

i closed the program

then i have the above symptoms in the first post

i tell him

he goes to the guy who he had brought the compter off of. a custom build computer that he paid $1,000.00 for

he get $200.00 back from the guy. i won't tell you what he did to get that money back. it wasn't nice

he buys a new copy of xp pro (with service pack one)

the computer won't let me install it for the world . it just wouldn't load the nt.dll

it would let reinstall his pirated copy though

but i kept having the same problem as previously. each time i reinstall the pirated copy of xp

i use the pirated copy of xp, the driver cd, i even fdisk the computer,
    trying to complete wipe eveything off the hard drive. i wipe the hard drive
    clean 5 times with the same problem after i reinstall xp ( i even try to use the new copy to wipe the drive clean but it wouldn't load )

i finally get a third party software (i won't say the name of it, it case microsoft see this) you know the kind of program, that let's you wipe your hard drive clean in case you throw it away, so somebody can't find it and get the data off of it

i take the hard drive off his computer. i put it on my mine as a slave drive. i turn on my comp. i go to do a complete and secure erase with this software

it tells me that there is some kind of intentional error on the drive (shut up gurm. this has nothing to do with what we talked about) microsoft obviously put it there. if it was microsoft that did it . i think it is
    the program ask me did i want to fix this problem. i click yes.

i then completely erase every single last bit of data on the hard drive.

i had previosly wipe the hard drive clean with pirated xp disc before putting it on my computer so my comp. would recognized it as a unpartition drive, so i could do this

i took the drive back out and put it in his comp.
    it now will let me install the legitimate copy of xp

i installed xp and his software and he has a fully functional computer now.

i just gave it to him about 10 minute before i wrote this.

i going to miss him

i would have never have went through this trouble with anybody else
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, I've not heard of anything like that before, and I take windows calls daily. I do know that if you have a known pirated CD key for windows xp it will deny you access to Windows Update, but thats all it should do. And that only after Service Pack 1 is installed on the system.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Sounds like a combination of pirated Windows where it was rejected by Windows Update AFTER the SP1 update and that new msblaster worm.

I wouldn't go around blaming Microsoft...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by flaystus
    Yeah a modem user, sad really.
    Hey.... they still sell those "shotgun" modems? Dual 56k or something like that. Need two lines though (I believe).

Quote Quote