VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What the HECK? I just made ELEVEN coasters trying to figure this problem out! This makes NO SENSE! I have the Optorite DD0203 dual DVD±RW writer, and it burns on DVD+RW just FINE. I made about 11 projects and stored them all on DVD+RW disks for later use. It came to a time when I wanted to copy them all to DVD-R, so I tried it, and I can't get the drive to burn to the discs that were specified by the company as within drive standards. So I went and tried to burn onto some DVD+R disks that are also within the drive's standards. It STILL didn't work! I made ELEVEN coasters trying to figure out the problem. How is it that the drive can burn to DVD+RW with NO problem, but won't burn onto -R or +R??? If there is anyone that understands this, PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I don't have enough money to make so many coasters!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right after I made the above post, just to be sure it wasn't my drive, I just burned an SVCD video disc, and it played fine in my computer and my stand alone DVD player. Then I made an audio disc, it worked fne. Then I burned another DVD movie (actually an .mpg file that was made DVD compliant, then authored onto DVD+RW with TMPGEnc DVD Author), and THAT plays fine in my computer AND stand alone DVD player. But when I try to burn anything onto DVD-R or +R and try to play it on my standalone, it doesn't work. And I KNOW that my DVD player can play +R and -R DVD discs, because I've played them in it before.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You did upgrade the firmware to the latest? Example: in my testing it wouldn't burn Fuji 4X before the firmware upgrade.

I upgraded to the latest firmware then I trial burned for testing on that model at work, Fuji 4X -R & TDK 4X +R with no problems.

You say disks within drive standards, However you didn't mention brand. I'd suspect that you are trying cheap disks.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    You did upgrade the firmware to the latest? Example: in my testing it wouldn't burn Fuji 4X before the firmware upgrade.

I upgraded to the latest firmware then I trial burned for testing on that model at work, Fuji 4X -R & TDK 4X +R with no problems.

You say disks within drive standards, However you didn't mention brand. I'd suspect that you are trying cheap disks.

Good Luck
    Hey TBoneit, I've upgraded to the newest firmware for that drive (2.11). Also, I've tried to burn onto TWO disc types that were specified by the manufacturer, the Fuji 4X -R's, and the HP +R's. Neither one of them worked! Please help! By the way, what I'm having problems with is burning movies onto those dvd's. The movies are .mpgs that were made DVD compliant, then authored with TMPGEnc DVD Author, then I attempted to burn the finished product onto the blanks. What's weird is that they burn onto the Memorex DVD+RW discs that I use with NO problems and the finished product works in my stand alone DVD player and my computer's DVD drive. But the +R and -R discs won't work after they're burned! They simply won't play. My stand alone says "no disc" when I try to play them!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think you need better media, call a mediastore & ask what to use. meritline.com allmediaoutlet.com etc
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    there seems to be a lot of posts on this site about that burner not acting right
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by i am x
    Hey TBoneit, I've upgraded to the newest firmware for that drive (2.11). Also, I've tried to burn onto TWO disc types that were specified by the manufacturer, the Fuji 4X -R's, and the HP +R's. Neither one of them worked! Please help! By the way, what I'm having problems with is burning movies onto those dvd's. The movies are .mpgs that were made DVD compliant, then authored with TMPGEnc DVD Author, then I attempted to burn the finished product onto the blanks. What's weird is that they burn onto the Memorex DVD+RW discs that I use with NO problems and the finished product works in my stand alone DVD player and my computer's DVD drive. But the +R and -R discs won't work after they're burned! They simply won't play. My stand alone says "no disc" when I try to play them!
    Since your DVD+RW discs do work, have you tried to make an ISO image of your DVD+RW discs and then copy it directly to your +R or -R discs? I don't think there is any quality problem with the +R and -R discs that your used. It's either that you got a defective burner or something weird happened during the burn process for the write-once discs. Just my two cents.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/quote]Since your DVD+RW discs do work, have you tried to make an ISO image of your DVD+RW discs and then copy it directly to your +R or -R discs? I don't think there is any quality problem with the +R and -R discs that your used. It's either that you got a defective burner or something weird happened during the burn process for the write-once discs. Just my two cents.[/quote]

Hey Synergy, how do I make an ISO image of my disk? Please e-mail me and tell me how! I'm willing to try anything! summon_the_heroes@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by i am x
    Hey Synergy, how do I make an ISO image of my disk? Please e-mail me and tell me how! I'm willing to try anything! summon_the_heroes@hotmail.com
    The easiest way to make an ISO copy of the disc image is to use the DVD Decrypter, you can download it from the Tool section from this site under the category of DVD rip tools.

Once the program is installed and started, choose the ISO Read option under the Mode menu and select a file destination to store the ISO image. Then click the DVD to HD icon to start copying the disc image to the HD. To write the disc image on a disc, select the ISO Write option under the Mode menu and click the HD to DVD icon when ready.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @ I am x ....I think your standalone may be the problem. I know you say you "KNOW" your standalone plays +R AND -R ...but the problem is that not every brand of -R and +R will be read alike. Different disks use different dyes and it could be that these -R and +R disks just aren't being read by your standalone player.

Have you tried to put these disks in your DVD ROM and see if it plays them? If it does, then your standalone is the culprit.

But two things i'd have to almost certainly shoot down would be your burner being defective or the media itself. If your burner is burning DVDRW media, then you shoudln't have any issues with R media.

Another thing is that the reason your standalone player seems to play your RW disk is because the dye is different on the RW then it is on the R format disks.

Do what the other poster said about writing and ISO with DVD DECRYPTER to another blank disk BUT ONLY AFTER you try these so called "COASTERS" in your DVD ROM....that way you don't just waste another blank disk for nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    read here
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    @ I am x ....I think your standalone may be the problem. I know you say you "KNOW" your standalone plays +R AND -R ...but the problem is that not every brand of -R and +R will be read alike. Different disks use different dyes and it could be that these -R and +R disks just aren't being read by your standalone player.

Have you tried to put these disks in your DVD ROM and see if it plays them? If it does, then your standalone is the culprit.

But two things i'd have to almost certainly shoot down would be your burner being defective or the media itself. If your burner is burning DVDRW media, then you shoudln't have any issues with R media.

Another thing is that the reason your standalone player seems to play your RW disk is because the dye is different on the RW then it is on the R format disks.

Do what the other poster said about writing and ISO with DVD DECRYPTER to another blank disk BUT ONLY AFTER you try these so called "COASTERS" in your DVD ROM....that way you don't just waste another blank disk for nothing.

I appreciate your input, but I have to disagree with it. If I had only tried one type of DVD-R, or a no name brand DVD-R, I might try to change that. But the fact of the matter is that I have tried THREE name brand types of DVD-R that are all supposed to be compatible with this burner, and all three types of burned DVD-R's did not play at ALL in my stand alone, and when I played them in my DVD-ROM on my pc, they worked, but on each one, the movie would occassionally skip and flicker every 10 to 30 seconds. There's definitely something going during the burning processes of these DVD-Rs. I'm assuming it's finding a burning program that WORKS with this particular burner. As soon as I send this message, I'm going to try DVD Decrypter and see if it does the trick. I will post all results to the board.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Synergy
    Originally Posted by i am x
    The easiest way to make an ISO copy of the disc image is to use the DVD Decrypter, you can download it from the Tool section from this site under the category of DVD rip tools.

Once the program is installed and started, choose the ISO Read option under the Mode menu and select a file destination to store the ISO image. Then click the DVD to HD icon to start copying the disc image to the HD. To write the disc image on a disc, select the ISO Write option under the Mode menu and click the HD to DVD icon when ready.
    Synery! Thank you! As soon as I send this message, I will download and try DVD Decrypter and see if I can get it to work with this burner. I will post my results as soon as I give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @ I am x ....I think your standalone may be the problem. I know you say you "KNOW" your standalone plays +R AND -R ...but the problem is that not every brand of -R and +R will be read alike. Different disks use different dyes and it could be that these -R and +R disks just aren't being read by your standalone player.

I appreciate your input, but I have to disagree with it. If I had only tried one type of DVD-R, or a no name brand DVD-R, I might try to change that. But the fact of the matter is that I have tried THREE name brand types of DVD-R that are all supposed to be compatible with this burner, and all three types of burned DVD-R's did not play at ALL in my stand alone, and when I played them in my DVD-ROM on my pc, they worked, but on each one, the movie would occassionally skip and flicker every 10 to 30 seconds. There's definitely something going during the burning processes of these DVD-Rs. I'm assuming it's finding a burning program that WORKS with this particular burner. As soon as I send this message, I'm going to try DVD Decrypter and see if it does the trick. I will post all results to the board.
    check out my above post

3 or 4 pages into it

i think they have finally figure out a solution
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vance43211
    read here
    Vance, I read some of the messages at the link, but which one specifially were you referring to? There were a LOT of messages at that link, mainly dealing with the HD Burn feature of the drive that I have.
    Quote Quote  
  16. check out my above post

3 or 4 pages into it

They are now saying that the DVD-R disks play in their DVD ROM but skip every 30 seconds...sounds like a media issue to me. If it was the burner, there is no reason it should be burning RW flawlessly and not R media.

Either way...using DVD DECRYPTER to make an ISO isn't gonna help because all their gonna be doing is taking the same media off an RW and burning back on an R when they've already burned the same exact info to the R format in the first place.

They said the disks DON'T play in their standalones but they do play in their DVD ROM....but with a skip every 30 seconds or so. Their info makes no sense at all. If what they are saying is accurate, then there's no reason the disks won't play for 30 seconds and skip in their standalone too. It doesn't add up. Either way....good luck to them...they need it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    check out my above post

3 or 4 pages into it

They are now saying that the DVD-R disks play in their DVD ROM but skip every 30 seconds...sounds like a media issue to me. If it was the burner, there is no reason it should be burning RW flawlessly and not R media.

Either way...using DVD DECRYPTER to make an ISO isn't gonna help because all their gonna be doing is taking the same media off an RW and burning back on an R when they've already burned the same exact info to the R format in the first place.

They said the disks DON'T play in their standalones but they do play in their DVD ROM....but with a skip every 30 seconds or so. Their info makes no sense at all. If what they are saying is accurate, then there's no reason the disks won't play for 30 seconds and skip in their standalone too. It doesn't add up. Either way....good luck to them...they need it.
    DUDE! That's the SAME thing that's happening to ME! If you ask me, I think this burner is very sensitive about what program it will let make copies of DVD's. It burns DVD's fine when you author them, then burn them to DVD, but when you try to make COPIES of any DVDs you've authored, then the damn thing freaks out. I think if I can find a program that will copy DVDs with a method that is precise enough for this burner, hopefully, it will work. I'm still making a copy using Decryptor. When it's done, I'll post the results.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @ I am x, it sounds like you are very confused. Your first post said you had 11 projects ALL stored on RW media for later retriveal and transfer to R media. Is there something there that I didn't understand?

Now you are saying that original authoring of a project and burn to the R format is fine. Which one is it? You specifically said you originally burned to +RW disks initially...now you are saying something different. You are saying that the disks burned to a -R are fine...but when you want to RECOPY them..your burner goes whacky. You are definitely confused.

Good Luck.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

Synergy, I did exactly what you said, and got an error message when I tried to play the DVD with Power DVD. The error message was ""Disc with unsupported file format in drive f:"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the site say it is very picky about media

so i guess if you use tdk and use filmware 2.09 you would be alright

but that is no guarentee

but if i were you and i could

i would take that drive back to the store

and get a different brand

i don't know if this helps
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The +RW disc plays in my standalone! For some odd reason, it doesn't play in my DVD-ROM, but I just popped it into my standlone and it plays perfectly! But THAT'S not success.......not YET. I'm going to try to burn the .iso file onto a DVD-R disc and see if it plays on my standalone. If it DOES, then it will PASS THE TEST! WISH ME LUCK! I'LL POST AGAIN IN ABOUT 15 MINUTES WITH THE RESULTS......
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The +RW disc plays in my standalone! For some odd reason, it doesn't play in my DVD-ROM, but I just popped it into my standlone and it plays perfectly! But THAT'S not success.......not YET. I'm going to try to burn the .iso file onto a DVD-R disc and see if it plays on my standalone. If it DOES, then it will PASS THE TEST! WISH ME LUCK! I'LL POST AGAIN IN ABOUT 15 MINUTES WITH THE RESULTS......
    they talk about that problem on this page

it is obviously being cause by that burner though
    Quote Quote  
  23. another one of your problems i am x is that you burned an .mpg file to a blank DVD. You said you burned it as "dvd complaint" unfortunately, burning an .MPG to a DVDR/RW is NOT a complaint DVD.

That's another part of your problem...and probably why your DVD ROM does NOT auto play your RW. I bet if you open your drive and go to that big .mpg file and right click and play with power dvd...it will play.

You have several issues here and NONE of them have to do with your DVD BURNER as I said earlier.

@Vance, that thread discusses some problems with SVCD's which is a different issue then this poster is experiencing. Also, if you read that post fully, you'll see that others did have success with the SVCD's....and then people start taking it off topic and talking about file sizes being listed differently, etc....

This problem is different and the original poster made authoring errors as well as burning errors which is why they have the issues they have. It's not their burner. If it was, they wouldn't be able to play any media in their standalones or DVD ROMS.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dude get a refund get a sony and you will be happy ,you get what you pay for... 8)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    another one of your problems i am x is that you burned an .mpg file to a blank DVD. You said you burned it as "dvd complaint" unfortunately, burning an .MPG to a DVDR/RW is NOT a complaint DVD.

That's another part of your problem...and probably why your DVD ROM does NOT auto play your RW. I bet if you open your drive and go to that big .mpg file and right click and play with power dvd...it will play.

You have several issues here and NONE of them have to do with your DVD BURNER as I said earlier.

@Vance, that thread discusses some problems with SVCD's which is a different issue then this poster is experiencing. Also, if you read that post fully, you'll see that others did have success with the SVCD's....and then people start taking it off topic and talking about file sizes being listed differently, etc....

This problem is different and the original poster made authoring errors as well as burning errors which is why they have the issues they have. It's not their burner. If it was, they wouldn't be able to play any media in their standalones or DVD ROMS.
    i was talking about the part

when people dvd-rom drives wasn't recognizing the discs (somehow because of the hdburn, whatever that is)

i guess they fix the problem by upgrading the dvd rom filmware

but it obvious that these guy didn't have this problem until they brought that particular burner

maybe i gave a wrong link about that
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    no

it starts at about the 8th posts and down

from reading that site

i wouldn't encourage using that burner
    Quote Quote  
  27. @vance, could you copy and post all the quotes which show what you are saying. I just re-read that link and the only issues with reading a DVD are issues with a DVD ROM...not this Optodisk writer. And the other issues in that thread have nothing to do with the original posters problems.

Look at what I wrote. i_am_x is burning an .mpg file to a disk and thinking that it's DVD COMPLIANT. Read their first two posts and you'll see what i'm saying. Their problem has to do with authoring and burning,...it has nothing to do with their DVD WRITER. They could go out and get the SONY burners or Pioneer burners....continue to author the same way....and they will STILL have the same issues.

That's why their DVD ROM isn't autoplaying their RW disks. Because they are not a compliant format. If they right click on the .mpg file and play it with PowerDVD, it should be fine.

They aren't making complaint DVD'S.....for example... IFO, .BUP, VIDEO_TS AND VOB FILES. That's a big part of their problem..not their burner.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok. i got it now
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's why their DVD ROM isn't autoplaying their RW disks. Because they are not a compliant format. If they right click on the .mpg file and play it with PowerDVD, it should be fine.

They aren't making complaint DVD'S.....for example... IFO, .BUP, VIDEO_TS AND VOB FILES. That's a big part of their problem..not their burner.

You are so wrong about this that it isn't even funny.
    Quote Quote  
  30. From i am x's third post;
    The movies are .mpgs that were made DVD compliant, then authored with TMPGEnc DVD Author, then I attempted to burn the finished product onto the blanks.
    Did you use the burning engine provided by TMPG when you made the initial DVDs, or did you use another burning program such as Nero?
    Quote Quote